SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Private EBAY vendor

This guitar is very versatile. I can play basically anything with it. I use some second hand Peavy with it and it has a pretty bright sound. It however, does not have a variety electronics wise, because it only boasts two knobs. The guitar is pretty basic with most Gibson components.

I don't have a designated type of style, so this guitar fits anything I want to play. I've been playing for a year, and this has been my prime instrument for all that time, and for a while to come. I don't see it wearing out for a while. The only thing I wish about this guitar would be some protection on the finish. I love it's versatility and comfort, being that it has beveled contours, and is very comfortable to sit down and play for hours. (belive me, I would know). My only gripe beside the finish is the broken truss rod. There is nothing to counter the strings tension besides the wood of the actual neck, and over time, I don't doubt that it will probably bow, but fortunatly, it has a bolt on neck, and I could just buy a new one. But this guitar is a reliable back up. It's pretty basic so it is probably not well suited for lead play, but you can make that desicion.

Stripped down this guitar is pretty reliable. The hardware is sturdy, however I have one tuner that is a little loose and goes out of tune easier. The pickups are pretty durable, and the wood (contarary to the finish) is resistant of dents. The strap buttons are reliable and with a good strap (that which I lack) this guitar probably wouldn't need strap locks. Even though the finish scratches like talc, it is thick, and I play on it constantly with dirty, sweaty, etc. hands, and the finish on the neck is still at it's original thickness. (contarary to my Dean, which I've had for about a month and the back of the neck is already begining to wear out). I would entrust my life with this guitar. It has been workhorse for a year of constant playing, and hasn't failed me in any way shape or form exception to one time that a wire tore, but I had it proffesionally sauterd back together.

I don't know how the factory set the guitar up since I bought it second hand. I raised the action up really high (I like a high action because it makes bends and finger vibrato easier, and the guitar is very prone to fret buzzing) and some of the open strings still buzz. This guitar has been babied since I got it, and the truss rod still broke. You could flick it's body and take off an inch of paint. The finish is very prone to scratching. All in all, this guitar is not very durable.

I got this guitar about a year ago as my first semi profesional guitar since it's made by Gibson. I'm not entirely sure it's year or country or origin (USA I'm guessing)It has 22 frets (medium to jumbo I believe). Mine has a solid ebony finish. It has double cut aways that resemble horns. It comes with chrome hardware, and a stop bar/tune-o-matic bridge. It has two passive open humbuckers. It includes one tone and one volume control knob, with a three way Switch. I regret that I'm pretty ignorant or in the category of tuners.

Pingis_Or_Death
    My friend has this guitar and i gave it a good test. It was very easy to get pinch harmonics on it, and it felt really nice. The tone wasn't too bad either. The only thing that bothered me was the extremely thick neck, compared to my strat. You wouldn't be able to shred easily on this guitar, but as it probably is desgined for beginners, i wouldn't call it such a big problem.
    emokiller1
    you know epiphones are MADE, better than gibsons. i never said there better. i did not believe this until i found out for myself. it turns out that the asians, koreans, etc., make it an art form. they put so much detail into them, making the neck, pickups, body, and other parts. they are put together in the USA though, where the bad quality mainly is. gibson really cuts corners when it comes to open coil pickups. i compared an epi sg open coil pickup to a gibson, and on the epi, where there was cloth, there was tape on the gibson. but the gibson still sounds better, im just talking about quality.