SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

This is the best guitar you can get if your only starting. it's not too pricy, and best of all, it can suit any style you want to play. At the time I played, blues, rock, and metal, and the guitar was ideal for all styles. I was playing with a Roland Cube 60, and I got some of the sweetest tones ever with my SG. You can't expect too much for the price, and you are literally getting what you paid for, if not just a bit more.

At the time, despite the blatant negatives and the terrible quality. I still loved this guitar like no other. Its sound was sweet, and for a begginer, it gets you in the habit of retuning, fixing action, getting repairs, and from these flaws (which you will get from any beginner guitar) you will learn through trial and error. The sound is excellent, sexy tone, and you truly are getting a good deal from this guitar. if it was stolen, I would not buy another for one reason, I'm no longer a begginner and have moved on to better more expensive guitars. Really you can't expect much for the price, if you are a begginner, or even low on cash and just want something to jam around with while having a cold one with your mates. This guitar was made for you.

This guitar has been hundreds of times, thrown around, and just completely mistreated I have to say. Even though it withstood these beatings to the best of it's ability, I would still say the guitar is fairly unreliabe and not very endurable. The paint is easily chipped, and the wood on the head, body and stock can easily be scratched and chipped as well. The Strap buttons were fairly decent, I only had to tighten up once in it's lifetime I believe. The hardware is poor, and knobs would fall off. The bass/treble Switch was flawed and I had to send it back for repair, It was during the guarantee and was replaced with a Switch from a Gibson SG. One serious problem was the tuning, it would go out of tune very easily. Live you would probally have to constantly check is she still in tune.

The action was poor, and I got a lot of fret buzz off of it at first, this was easily fixed with some readjustment. If you want to keep this guitar in mint condition I advice be very careful it is easily damaged! The volume and tone knobs were loose and would fall off. The pups are poor, they were very low, and would regurally sink in to body, so regular screwing in necassary. I was a bit disapointed with the finish, but as I've said, you can't expect too much for the price paid.

A 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard SG style guitar with two Epiphone double coil humbuckers. It has a bass/treble Switch, a volume and tone control, a Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece and chrome hardware. The body is laminated Maple and has a nice pretty cherry red finish (it can also be purchased in Ebony). I got a gig bag with it. It was made in Indonesia. This was one of my first guitars, and for the money paid, you can't expect anymore, a good deal and ideal for begginers.

ace man
    I bought this guitar for $270AUS, which is real good value considering the quality of the instrument. It seemed just as good, if not better, than the G400 model, which was the next up in price. It sounds like a pig as well, the twin humbuckers are perfect.
    treyhughes32
    for sure a great guitar, 300$ on musicians friends ,throw in some new pick ups and you will have the gibson u wanted.
    gh2dude
    i have one (my only,unfortunatly) and its decent.its very slow,the output jack is always loose,and theres a very annoying buzzing sound sometimes, what i really want is a dimebag dixie rebel.*sigh*
    Aethen
    i have this guitar, it was the first one i bought and i still prefer it to most of the guitars i've played
    Slacker996
    people heres where you should get it,the guitar center.they're sellingit for $150