SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Wilcutt Guitars

I play mostly rhythm for rock, blues, and metal (yeah, kinda strange variety). It plays well in all of these styles, and even keeps up fairly well when I set it in for some classical style. I've been playing for two years, have played on a Gibson Les Paul and gotten fairly similar playing out of this guitar (albeit, slightly lower quality). I have played this through a Marshall 100W Stack, Vox AD15, and Roland Micro Cube; no matter the setup, this guitar delivers quality cleans and quite the punch when you turn up the gain. I've never had any buzz, and it fit for tapping/chords/lead. I've done all of these with strong success. Be warned, when switching between rythym and treble on the 3-way, you are gonna have to adjust tone adn volume due to the lack of seperate controls for the two humbuckers, which sucks for gigging.

This is a beautiful guitar. I'm sure there are better, but as a beginner or intermediate guitar, this is the best bang fr your buck, hands down. I looked into a Fender Strat, and was just much more impressed with the overall sound this one has. This is a good match for all styles of music, and honestly as I mentioned before, I didn't hear a huge difference between this and a Gibson Les Paul, they were comparable and considering the money you are saving, it's worth it. If this guitar came up missing, I'd definitely pick it up again. Only bad things to say are, get the red finish the black is hard to keep clean and I wish it had seperate tone and volume for both humbuckers.

Been playing a couple hours a day for 6 months now and it's still kicking. No new damage or wear in the finish. I'd go in to a gig without a backup, this thing just doesn't wear out. I have had some problems with the strap coming out on it's own, but I think that's partially my fault because I'm using a strap that was made in the '70s. I've had no hardware problems.

Bought it, brought it home, plugged it in, rocked hard. Only problem I had was that the pickups kept dropping randomly while playing, got them cleaned out (and a bad cable replaced) and that's gone away. There is one scratch across the top of my guitar, but I got a discount for it as it was a shipping problem. Sometimes, the sound drops out if you don't get the 3-way switched completely to one selection or the other though.

22 frets, rosewood neck, solid top, vol and tone knobs (only 1 of each), 3-way switch, two humbuckers, Tune-O-Matic, SG Style, pickup in front, got strings, cable and gig bag with it. The frets are solid, no buzzing. Not sure about the tuners, they are Standard Epi (I checked it side by side wiht the epi lespaul. The lack of separate vol and tone knobs for each humbucker is a little disappointing, but nothing worth sobbing over. As is the lack of a whammy bar. Fairly Standard set-up for an Epi, but nothing terrible.

CaptainInternet
    emokiller1 wrote: you know epiphones are MADE, better than gibsons. i never said there better. i did not believe this until i found out for myself. it turns out that the asians, koreans, etc., make it an art form. they put so much detail into them, making the neck, pickups, body, and other parts. they are put together in the USA though, where the bad quality mainly is. gibson really cuts corners when it comes to open coil pickups. i compared an epi sg open coil pickup to a gibson, and on the epi, where there was cloth, there was tape on the gibson. but the gibson still sounds better, im just talking about quality.
    You goddamn idiot.
    MxGuitar
    this was my very 1st electric guitar, i bought it at guitar center in a package, which included a 10w marshall amp, among other stuff only for 200 bucks
    Pingis_Or_Death
    My friend has this guitar and he tells me it's easier to play on my legend stratocaster (which you can buy for 99 euros here in Finland).
    luketalon
    to witty fool: it is really come from INDONESIA???? i can't think,my countries can make this guita....
    Tanmanno5
    i have that SG epicphone it is my first ever guitar and im playing about a year now it is a good guitar iv noticed it lacks a little something doh but its still dam good cheap and a good starter guitar
    thesecondman
    I bought this guitar for a friend, and had it airbrushed with out band logo, black, with blue tiger stripes. Once we put it back together (very carefully, mind you) and we have had a SERIOUS problem with tuning. We've used several different kinds of strings, different tuning strategies... and still it's already detuned partway through a song! I don't know what the problem is, and the guitar sounds good otherwise, but it's really really annoying.
    randumbsk8punk
    I have the epiphone les paul special and I must say, it pretty much rocks. Esp for how much it cost. Very affordable. I imagine the sg special isnt any different. How about a thunderbird special lol. Or do they already have that???
    mr. ...
    omg go die. ur hella dumm this guitar is a joke compared to a gibson. gibsons are 400000 times better than than epiphones- law of nature. dood common sence...
    mr. ...
    fenderboy20
    wow. if this sounds nice and plays nice, id definitly go buy one. id also like to see a thunderbird special.
    Kayfan
    Umm no, USA guitars are hand built from step one while Korean ones are mass produced using low quality robots and inexpensive labor.
    Ali-b912
    no the asian ones are hand made and assembled in asia but its not an art to them. the quality checking of most of them is done in the USA. ive been past the squier factory in indonesia, it is a hole. i feel so sorry for the people in there, not shitting you. you may have had a fake gibson too. i saw a fake SG with a truss rod cover saying "SG-335" i lolled. it had tape around the fabric. also i think if it was a gibson it was probably electric tape. which would make sense as pickups are electronic. the procedure of making guitars in america and korea is identical but the South korean factories employ North koreans on cheap labour. the americans are well trained luthiers, the north koreans are told basically how to attach 2 peices of wood and left to their own devices. the only difference is the training of the people in the workshops. the quality checking of the korean/chinese ones is done in the US and the shit quality is actually the gibson guys fault. i think the jap epiphones are checked themselves since they are made by luthiers who are as well trained as the US ones and the japanese have the most anal quality control possible.