SG Special review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Epiphone: SG Special

Well, the sound of this guitar can't be characterized. This is because it sounds cheap. The pickups are pathetic. They can't put out much of a variety at all. You couldn't play metal on this because the sound can't handle high gain settings without making noise, and you can't play blues because the sound of bending a note through these pickups can give you a headache! I tried a Peavy and a Marshall solid state amp and I had no luck. I also tried it with a Peavy tube and still got nothing. Terrible!

This gutiar isn't really a good guitar to play. It isn't really worth putting money into, since it would be a lot easier just to buy another guitar. I wish the sound could have a little more variety. I don't think I would really recomend this guitar to a beginner either to tell you the truth. The Epiphone G310 is a really good guitar to get started out on, and the Epiphone G400s are better still.

The finish hasn't lasted two years without starting to fade wich is is bummer. The strap buttons arn't very solid either. It comes out of tune a lot as well. This guitar wasn't put togather well at all. I couldn't really see anyone pulling off a gig with this thing at all.

The action was the way you'd think it to be on all SGs. The red finish was almost hypnotizing, but that was before it started to wear. The tuning pegs were also loose. The pickup selector is also very loud. Other than that, I havn't really found any flaws.

deadnihils
    I`ve had mine for about 6 years, I can tell now that this thing is excellent for beginners and some intermediate... no regrets at all. I`ve put this thing through hell, and there is still not one single ding or scratch. I still pull it off of it`s stand and shred out somethin ugly with it quite a bit.