SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Steve's music store

When the salesman plugged it into a Line 6 half stack and started playing thunderstruck, Hells Bells and you shook me all night long (at my request), I knew that it was the guitar for me. It's open coil pick ups are pretty Standard for every model, but for a player that hasn't decided what sound he wants or what exactly what he wants to play, it's perfect. For experience guitar players, it is just a great for a flexible sound. Guys it's a great beat around guitar that will take years of abuse and still play. it's sound is bright, even sometimes the trebel is just to high for your ears, but it can be toned down. It suits my playing style perfectly since I mostly play classic rock.

I love this guitar, and I plan to keep as long as I play guitar, the only thing I changed were the pick ups, not because I didn't like the sounds, it's just that I changed my sounds a little and I am aiming at a jeff beck sound. I put Godin LGX pick ups and it sounds amazing. I won't change anything else on this guitar.

For the price you can't go wrong, it is very reliable a part from the selector Switch which is my only worry, a part from that every thing will last the life of the guitar. The strap buttons are still solid, and I jump and move around a lot, so it does take abuse and they still hold like new. I use this as my primary guitar even though I now have two guitars. I just grew accustom to it. As for the finish, the paint stil has it Shine and it does have any fading or peeling. the only thing to be careful are the horns, they have a tendency to hit either nearby mic stands or amps so the paint is chipped there but nowhere else.

One thing that I needed change was the action. I notice that on my guitar, but not all SG specials, my action was to far from the strings, I don't if it was a mistake of the manufacturer but after getting it adjusted, I can hear my hammer ons and pulls offs ten times more. it only buzzes from time to time on the fifth fret of the a string but that is on rare occasions and you really have to listen for it. I also noticed that the selector Switch feels a little loose but I flick it very often and it may need to get changed eventually. The tuner pegs are great and stay in tune for a very long time, especially since I bend a lot.

this 2006 Epiphone SG Special was my first guitar. I didn't even know how to play guitar but I had educated myself on this topic and made sure that I knew what I was getting for my budget. It didn't come with any case unfortunately but it came with the tune-o-matic bridge, 2 open coil pick ups and a mahogany body.