SG Special review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play everything from metal to jazz and sounds great with any gauge string you can get. I used a Standard pack of 9s or 10s and it was a harmonic beast. But when I used 12s and 13s it was a metal montser full and rich in tone. And with me amps overdrive and me metal master pedal it was great, that's when my mom said I had to do something else. It really is a great and versitile guitar even if it's not as good as my Gibson SG it's still amazing.

Overall it's great even for a $300 guitars standards.however It comes nowhere near myGibson but it's worth getting if your a begginer or just want to get a cheap guitar that's great in quality! I don't play mine anymore but it's forever going to hang on my wall as my first guitar I ever owned in order for me to reminise my sucess in chosing a great quality guitar to be my first.

This guitar is reliable but you may need to buy new pickups because for some reason some of the ones in production have haggard sounding pickups wheras some have pretty good ones I have no idea what that's about but my friends pickups were crap on the same guitar whereas my were great. This guitar could survive a nucleur bomb well ok maybe that's an exageration but seriously it's tough and it's almost indestructable.

The one I bought had bad electronics but I fixed it up and soldered it back together than it worked fine. But don't worry I've never heard of anyone else having that problem. The pickups need to be raised and I recommend lowering the bridge a little you don't have to but it improves overall sound quality. Another problem I hade was the styrofoam left white smudges on the front of the guitar and mine was black. So if there are any musicians friend staff reading this please change the way you package them because several of my friends had similar problems.

The Epiphone SG Special series was manufactured along side it's brother the Les Paul Special. Following very closely was the G-310 which was desired to portray the image of it's earlier cousin while adding a few design and control tweaks. With 22 frets and 6 strings you can be sure that you would almost never need more frets. The rosewood fretboard is polished and smooth enabling quick movement to nail every note with perfection. it's not the most fancy fret board but it's very secure and straight. I never once had a neck stability problem and I've had this guitar for three years. And I mean three years of extreme playing (and dropping:) I'm not sure about what type of wood the body is but I'm assuming it's a heavier wood like maple. Although this guitar as if it had two or three coats of paint and then like a thousand coats of clear polish finish. So that might be a contributing factor of the weight. The SG Special is equipped with a tune-o-matic bridge and a dual sidded cross threaded head which enables the user to tune and string quickly. I am amazed at how well it stays in tune. The two open coiled reversed magnetic humbucking style pickups are are beasts fo your buck with them I am able to nail an aray of harmonics and the sustain is amazing. When I used this guitar I used it with my Crate GFX-100 amp and believe me it sounds full and the pickups can scream pretty well with overdrive kicked up. Unfortunatly it only came with a 2 knobs one for volume and one for tone. I pulled my knobs off and replaced them with metal ones from my Schecter California Custom 5 bass. It came with various things in the package that would start anybody out for sure.

sg7474
    i have had this for three years it is awesome plays anything and does it well great price great value awesome finish overall great buy would do it agian all day