SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Friend

It performs well for most my styles of music. I am a huge fan of Radiohead and this guitar works well to suit that style, especially the agressive playing of Jonny Greenwood. Currently I have a Fender Frontman 15R amp, which is a great amp for distorted tunes. It can be noisy at times but I'm not sure whether it's the guitar or the amp. The variety of sounds isn't great, but it suits me, whether I'm doing really high pitch solo stuff, or deep sounds.

It's an excellent guitar, good for a beginer. I don't I will own it for long though, but let that put you off, it truely is an excellant guitar. I've been playing for almost two years now, and as I said above, I also own a Fender Telecaster Plus, which is a masterpeice of a guitar. If it was stolen, then I might go back to an SG, but probably a better one, preferably a Gibson. The thing I love about this guitar is it's different, and it looks the part. I bought it for a cheap back up and it has served me well.

This guitar is brilliant for Live playing, even though it's my back up guitar as I also own a rather beautiful Fender Telecaster Plus. All the hardware seems fine, it seems as if it can last. the main problem I have when gigging is that it is top heavy, so it just sort droops, which I find rather annoying, and really the only let down.

The action on this guitar is okay, but I must say that I find the neck isnt smooth enough for sliding up and down the fret board. The pick-ups seem rather loose and flimsy, but they're okay. The guitar had no flaws when I got it late last year, just the loose pick ups and the imput jack can come loose sometimes, but it's all cool.

I personally don't know much about this guitar, but I'll try my best. It has a 22 fret neck, with good size frets. The finish on mine is black, and it looks lovely. Tune-O-Matic bridge. 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and a three way selector Switch. It has 2 Epiphone Open-coil humbuckers.