SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

I play a lot of metal, and hard rock (Slipknot, Metallica, Disturbed) and it goes great with it. It has a nice deep tone for distortion and a bright sound on clean. I use a small Crate practice amp and a DigiTech Death Metal distortion pedal. Works pretty damn good for the sound I want to get. The only thing is that it gets preety noisy on overdrive. It can get sounds from the Red Hot Chili Peppers to some heavy deathcore. Overall, great for a beginner guitar.

I play heavy metal and it is a pretty good match. I've been playing for two years and I don't really own any other guitar. I've learned everything on this piece of wood. If it were stolen or lost I would just step up to something better like an Ibanez. I love the fretboard comfort that allows the player to move pretty fast. My favorite thing happens to be the acessability to all the frets.it definitely beats my friends First Act and the quality is better than any other begginer guitar (believe me, I've tried them). I just wish it had 24 frets and some more tone and volume controls.Also, I do wish it had better pickups.

It should withstand Live-playing, but it seems to have a problem with warm weather and staying in tune. doesn't really work too well. What can you expect though from a begginer's guitar? Hardware has lasted me and it should last awhile. Doesn't seem it's going to die on me anytime soon. Strap buttons are pretty solid. I could depend on it, but I would recommend to bring a backup always (this guitar would probably be the backup if anything). This guitar will last, it is well built and sturdy.

Set-up was okay, I had fix the action a little to my liking though. Nothing wrong with pickup adjustments. Properly bookmatched top bridge was routed alright. I can't really say much, everything seems to be spot on. No problems for the past 2 years I've owned it and played it.

I don't know what year it was made, but I know it was made in China. It has 22 frets, Rosewood bolt-on fretboard. Laminated top. Made of Alder. Has a Polyurethane finish. SG body style with a fixed bridge. Passive electronics with one volume, one tone control. Two stock open coil Humbuckers, stock tuners. In all, pretty sturdy guitar for a begginer's guitar.