SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

This was my first electric guitar, and I didn't want to break the bank if it was a hobby I was not going to stick with. So far, it has suited me fine. I like to play hard rock, metal, and some blues, and it's versatile enough to play them all. The amp is quite noisy and poor- I have already replaced one speaker on it and I have not ever had it turned all the way up with the gain up. The amp makes the guitar, making the tone knob more of a knob for bass and treble than for real tone. On a better amp, the guitar sounds much better. The guitar can play about anything, I don't see that it's limited by anything about it. I can even strum along to country if the amp is set correctly without trouble. After about a year I changed the strings to Ernie Balls, which did make a big difference in the sound- much brighter and more clear than the stock strings.

This is a great product for a beginner- looks cool, sounds cool out of the box to a novice. As you get better you will definitely want to upgrade the amp and keep the practice amp as a spare or sell it. I have been playing for two years, and I also own a Fender amp and an old acoustic (unsure of manufacturer, it's old and beat). If it were lost or stolen I would most likely replace it. I like the looks of it and the ease of play, it came set up quite nicely. I compared it to the LesPaul players pack, but for the cost and my love of Angus Young, I went with this one. I could go either way, again, it's an inexpensive package. I wish it has seperate controls for the two humbuckers, as I think this limits your different sounds. For the cost of it, I think it's fair to okay, and with a new amp could be okay to very good, but not great.

I think this would withstand Live playing as long as you could check your tuning once or twice. I have dropped it twice and it has not become damaged. I would use this at a gig since I would not be worried about it getting damaged, it's an inexpensive guitar. The finish is fine, although it appears that after two years the finish on the fretboard is starting to fade / wear off.

The guitar came set up perfectly. Everything worked fine right out of the box. Since it is a cheaper guitar, I will say I have to tune frequently, it does get out of tune. It seems as though the guitar responds quite aggresively to humididty and temperature changes, going quite flat or quite high depending on the change. Since it comes with a tuner, this is not a big deal to me, and I understand I did not buy an expensive guitar.

This is the Epiphone SG Player's Pack. I am unsure of the year of manufacture. It is a solid body, bolt on neck, in a glossy cherry red finish. It has no pick guard, but keeps the devil horns SG body style. It has a rosewood fretboard, Dot inlays, and a 22 fret neck. It has dual humbuckers, a 700T at the bridge and a 650 R at the neck. The SG Special has one rythym / lead Switch and one volume and one tone knob. This package comes with a tuner, softside gig bag, and a 10W solid state Epiphone practice amp.

Rock Boy
    Why do almost all reviews have 8.5 or more as overall score? It's a decent guitar but not great! 10 is supposed to be perfect and the scale goes all the way down to 1 for a purpose! I give it a 5 - not terrible, but nothing outstanding.