SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Price paid: € 215

I play metal and some rock and this guitar suits that pretty well. The bridge bucker is really dirty and gives you a full sound that works perfect with palm muting too. The neck pickup is a bit too stiff though and the sweetness is not that good. There is some noise coming from the bridge pickup but that might be cause it's so close to the strings. The problem could be my cheap amp too. I play my guitar through a Zoom G1X multi-fx pedal with extreme dist and full gain (of course). The pickups are sensitive to pinch harmonics and it gives you a heavy ass sound. In overall, this guitar sounds badass.

In overall, this guitar is a steal. Low price and great value. Exchange the tuners for some locking ones and fix the action and youve got yourself a hell of a guitar for under 300 bux! If this were stolen or lost, I would not buy a new one. Not because I don't like it, but beacause I would use the money for an other guitar instead. what I love about this is the DIRTY sound and the pinch response mentioned above. What I hate is the bad soloing capability. My favourite feature will have to be the bridge pickup.

Other than the tuning pegs, there is No Doubt that this guitar would withstand Live playing. This guitar would survive armageddon if it had to. Once it flew out of a bicycle basket and it hit the ground really hard. Only trouble after that was that the volume knob came loose and the neck pickup stopped working. The knob was just to push back and the pickup revived itself after a few weeks. (As you might notice I don't use the neck pickup a lot) I could smash some amp stacks with this guitar without it taking any damage. The strap buttons are good. I feel I can depend on this guitar. The finish on the thing is SOLID. Only way to get it off would be a jackhammer.

The action of the guitar is not that great. At the headstock the strings lay on the frets causing a LOT of fret buzz. It is pretty comfortable to play there though. Over at the neck joint, the strings lay really far away from the fretboard making it hard to solo. The intonation was poor. The tuners are pretty crap and don't hold the tune very well. They don't work well when tuning neither as they become losse when you loosen a string so that it will probably drop even lower a few times after you tightened it up. (example: you tune the E string down to D. It drops to somewhere round C or C#. You tune it up. it drops again.) After a while it stays in tune but not for very long. If you somehow manage to make it stay in tune for a long time, it will stay in tune pretty much forever unless you do something to it. I have mine in D Standard and that makes the tuning stability even more poor.

This guitar was made in China, not sure what year though. It has a Standard neck with 22 frets and rosewood fretboard, and the scale is 24.75 inches. The body is made out of alder and maple and the fretboard is maple aswell. The bridge is a normal Tune-O-Matic system with stopbar tailpiece. There are 2 passive humbuckers and there is 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and a 3-way toggle Switch. The tuners are non-locking no-name(epi? ) tuners. I bought this from a guitar store so I did not get any accessories.