SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

With the amp that it comes with, it honestly sounds terrible. The amp is noisy and crackly and isn't very versatile. However, with a proper amp this thing sounds great! I can play everything from blues to metal with this thing. On clean settings it has that great blues tone. With heavy overdrive it can do some screaming hard rock and metal. When I got this I was planning on replacing the pickups but at this rate a probably won't need to.

Great beginning guitar! It has good tone in an attractive and comfortable package. However if you plan to be serious, get a new amp because the 10w it comes with is horrible. If it were stolen I would probably buy a better guitar but mourn the loss of this axe. My favorite feature is the looks. It looks like it's ready too rock with an attitude. I wish it had 24 frets but it's fine with 22. Great value for the money.

This is a pretty reliable guitar. I've owned it for about seven months and not had any catastrophic hardware or electronic failure. In fact, I've had no electronic failures. The strap buttons are ok. If you want to jump around and be wild on stage you'll definitely need some strap locks. There are no problems with the finish even after using it every day for seven months straight. Bottom line is that if you take care of the guitar it'll do any thing you ask it to.

The finish was good. No blemishes. No scratches. The problem I have with the all black model is that it shows smudges really well. The pickup heights were a little funky. Nothing that a screwdriver can't fix. The action was set high from the factory. However upon lowering, there was a good amount of fret buzz. This was fixed by polishing the frets with some steel wool. Some of the screws were of low quality. I've stripped out the heads on three of them. Also the springs on the pickup height adjustment screws were way too long. It made the pickup height adjustment really hard. I had to clip down the spring just so I could reinstall them. The strings is came with are crap. Just buy yourself a set of strings when you get this. Other than that there are no problems.

Made in China, 2008. 22 medium jumbo frets on a 24.75" scale neck with a rosewood fretboard. Basswood body with a maple neck. Available in solid black or Vintage cherry red. Tune-o-matic bridge. It is equipped with 700T/650R humbuckers in the neck and bridge respectively. It has one volume and one tone knob along with a Standard three-way Switch. The tuners are cheap. It cam in a package which included am amp, gigbag, tuner, strap, and some picks.

pacsabbath25
    mine says inspected by gabor china it is heavier then a les paul, had it for a year and the only thing wrong is a paint chip between the right horn and the neck other then that it is great
    C_guitarhero
    I find the SG a powerful strong guitar with a lot of potential in the tone. I lowered the strings nearer the fretboard for faster playing and I think it's a keeper. The only problem is that i needed better strings because when I detuned it (all the way to drop B) they eventually started to weaken and mishape which meant that they went out of tune imediately after I tuned them back up to an E.
    RockShaft
    Epiphone SGs, or any Epi for that matter, are hit and miss. No two are alike. Some stink and some are absolute jewels. As a result some deserve a high rating and others a very low rating. Price means nothing. Play them before you buy. I play a PRS as my main guitar, but I picked up an SG Special for $150.00 which I absolutely love. Great sustain and sound and I gig it on certain songs, just because of its unique tone. Once I set up the action it played as well as many Gibson's I have owned, and yes there are crappy Gibsons out there as well.
    WatUWant???
    Hi guys!! i sort of need a lil help here.... im a beginner, so i dont want to spend too much on a guitar (max $300) but i'd like a good quality one that will last me a nice while. i've investigated the epiphone les paul special 2 and the epiphone SG special. they both seem to be exactly what im looking for and they're both rated 8.4. Now, for my question(s) Which one is better? The SG or the Les Paul?And Is there another guitar from ibanez, fender etc. that would be better than both?? Please let me know =)