SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: guitar center

I'm going to be honest, when I took this guitar out of the box and plugged it into the amplifier it sounded absolutely terrible. But when I played through many different amps including my Marshall mg (I know how most of you depise those) and it sounded great. I play just about everything from bands like acdc, Foo Fighters, Maiden, Mettalica, Guns N Roses, Soundgarden... And this guitar can handle all of it very well. For a cheap guitar, I think this thing sounds great.

This was my very first electric guitar and I've had it for to years as well as a focus by Kramer and an Eleca Strat knockoff and they both SUCK compared to this guitar. As cheap as it is I love it and would recommend it to any begginers looking to buy an electric guitar or to someone who just wants a cheap guitar. I would only recommend it as a back up of course when it comes to playing live.

Now this guitar looks, sounds, and feels great, but the one reason I would NEVER use this to play live is the strap buttons. If you don't buy strap locks I HIGHLY recommend not standing up and playing. But the upside is how durable this guitar is. Because of the strap falling off and I wasn't holding it right, I dropped it down half of a flight of stairs and the only visible preblem is a dent. I've dropped this, bump into things with it, kicked it and everything is still in place. I didn't have much of a problem with it staying in tune either so overall the only problem is the strap.

The action is pretty good I find it comfortable and easy to play on. It was set up pretty good and I haven't had any problems with it exept for a loose tone knob and also the pickup selector is nosiy but it isnt that bad. The tuning machines all work smoothly and the hardware is still all in good shape after the two years of owning this guitar. The finish does scratch pretty easily and you need to clean it excessivley in order to keep off fingerprints

This guitar is made in indonesia and I have no idea when it was made. It features 22 frets and and two knobs for volume and tone with Epiphone Standard humbuckers. I bought it with an Epiphone studio 15r amplifier a gigbag, strap and 3 foot cable. But the cable it came with is noisy and the only way I could see me using it is for an effects pedal because its so short you need to be RIGHT NEXT to the amplifier in order to play it. Also the gig bag provides nearly NO protection and you would be better off buying a new case if you want to travel with this guitar.

Brandon1993
    Yeah i got one and then right out of nowhere the tone knob fell off. and then i lost it. it is also a really cool color. i think its called antique burst
    razer blade
    mr. ... wrote: emokiller1 wrote: you know epiphones are MADE, better than gibsons. i never said there better. i did not believe this until i found out for myself. it turns out that the asians, koreans, etc., make it an art form. they put so much detail into them, making the neck, pickups, body, and other parts. they are put together in the USA though, where the bad quality mainly is. gibson really cuts corners when it comes to open coil pickups. i compared an epi sg open coil pickup to a gibson, and on the epi, where there was cloth, there was tape on the gibson. but the gibson still sounds better, im just talking about quality. omg go die. ur hella dumm this guitar is a joke compared to a gibson. gibsons are 400000 times better than than epiphones- law of nature. dood common sence...
    gibson and epipiphone are tied together