SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Price paid: C$ 199

Purchased from: Steve's music, Ottawa

I play a lot of different types of music, first and foremost, classic rock: AC/DC, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Tom Petty, Bryan Adams, Scorpions and even some Blues, Eric Clapton/Cream, Santana, a little bit of B.B King and some country, like the Eagles, Keith Urban as well as my own material. This guitar Stock was great for top portion of this list. It rang classic rock just as well as friend's 80s Les Paul Standard, it just sounded thin when soloed when you compared the two but obviously for the price, it surpassed my expectations. I felt the sound a little thin for solos as well as playing blues and country, therefore I opted to change the pick ups to Godin LG pick ups since my friend wanted to get rid of them and it was just the sound i was looking for. But Stock this guitar is a Beast for any kind of distortion. No buzzing of any kind.

I decided one day that I had to play guitar, with no research whatsoever I walked in a store and walked out with one of the best 200 dollar purchase I have made in a long time. Even though my SG is heavily moded, due to the fact that my taste changed and I didnt want to invest 500 in another guitar when i could just mod this one for less then half that amount. Its a great basis for anyone just starting or anyone who wants to convert from single coil to humbuckers for a low price. It s a great foundation, a great looking guitar and for an Approx total of 420 dollars, I have a unique guitar that looks like and SG, Sounds like versatile like a Godin/LP and has some of the best machine heads money can Buy. I definitely recommend this guitar to anyone who would ask and I plan to keep this guitar a long time and keep it as my signature axe even after I plan to buy a MIM Telecaster and highly modify that one as well.

As per the set up I received it in, it wouldn't survived a live show since the the Input got loose really quick, but a quick fix and I haven't had any real issues every since. I changed the machine heads to grover since after about 3 yrs, the G string couldn't really hold its tune anymore and it was great investment since I change all six. The Selector Switch still holds true as well as the volume knob, all I changed was the electronics after a stroke of bad luck happened when the wiring of the Tone Knob got loose enough to wrap itself on the tuning peg of the knob. It still worked, its just my Tech noticed it and fixed it before any more damage could be done. I am rating the "7" mostly because if the input got loose on a live show or the G string couldnt hold its tune then that would degrade your performance but for the average Joe this guitar proved more reliable then any other low grade Ibanez, Strat Copy or Dean I have ever heard of played with.

I got my guitar right out of the box, the only complaint i have was that the action was way to high, but a quick fix when I changed the strings fixed that problem. The finish was great and even to this day still shines like new even after almost 5 years of constant use.

Purchased late 2006 so I am pretty sure its a 2006, and I am pretty sure it was made in Indonesia. Anywho, a real guitar enthusiast doesn't care of guitar orgin but performance. Just look at the japaneese copies of Fender of the eighties. They were "crap" at first and now they are sought out. standard 22 fret, but an easy access to those 22 frets since the cutaway of the horns gives you that extra room. SG Mahogany solid top body with slightly larger Rosewood on mahogany frets. Finished in a one of a kind Honeyburst finished. Tune-O-Matic Bridge with passive electronics. 2 Humbuckers controlled by a 3 way selector Switch and 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob. Pretty Standard guitar, all you need to start with. A basic guitar that's easy to live with and easy to shape your sound.