SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: The Rock Shop

I think this guitar sounds great especially for the price. Its great for Metal, Rock and other genres. I play it on a Roland Cube 40XL and its wicked I can get any sound out of it. It has a nice beefy pickup which is great for metal, it also has a softer pickup for if your doing a soft bit.

Overall I think this is a great beginner guitar if your playing rock and metal and don't have enough money for a G-400. If I ever lost it I don't think I would get another because I'm more into different styles of music. My old electric was some crap Ashton and this is by far better. I would recommend this to beginner players.

I think this could withstand live playing but I would take a backup. The strap button is in a weird place but I got used to it and its fine now. My Jack has fallen off many times but it can be easily fixed. I have bumped this many times and don't have a scratch which I thick is great.

The action when I bought it was perfect and the finish was amazing. The finish is extremely nice and looks amazing. The Tuning pegs are quite stiff but you can easily fix it. To be honest I don't think it matters how good the action and things are because its easily fixed.

- Body: Mahogany - Neck: Hard Maple - Neck Profile: SlimTaper "D" - Neck Joint: Bolt-on w/tapered heel, 4-bolt recessed - Scale length: 24.75" - Fingerboard: Rosewood with "dot" inlays - Nut width: 1.68 - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Neck Pickup: 650R humbucker - Bridge Pickup: 700T humbucker - Pickguard: 2-layer, black/white - Controls: 1-master volume, 1 master-tone with KillPot - Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic - Tailpiece: StopBar - Hardware: Nickel - Tuners: Premium 14:1 - Colors: Ebony (EB), Cherry (CH)

TheDealer
    I can't decide between a few of these epiphone Sg's. The g310, the sg special, the sg express, or the sg junior, which will last longer, is the most versitale and has the best sound? I want a new guitar, but i am kinda low on cash. Your opinion is much appreciated.