Sheraton II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Sheraton II

I personally play mostly rhythm guitar, and this guitar suits that perfectly. I have a Spider II half stack, though I rarely plug in, which is partially why I wanted a hollow body. I heard that hollowbodies got a lot of feedback, but I haven't experienced that. Very rich sound, pretty bassy (especially on the front pickup). This guitar is (obviously) not meant for any sort of metal or anything, though it does sound surprisingly good with distortion. I'd imagine with some new pickups this guitar would sound fantastic, but as it is it's only alright. Like I said, I rarely plug in, and so it sounds great. When plugged in, it sounds quite average. I plan on replacing the pickups soon.

This guitar completely fits me. I've been playing for 4 years, and this is my third guitar. I have a feeling this guitar will last me a long, long time. My main complaints are that the upper frets are weak, and the pickups aren't great, but this doesn't irk me too much. I would most certainly buy this guitar again, and ignoring the electronics, have preferred this guitar to many of the Gibson model ES-335s I've played. I guess it would be kind of cool to have one of those "armrest-sized" whammy bars that some of the hollow bodies have, but it probably wouldn't be worth all the new hardware. Once I replace the pickups, this will probably be one of the best guitars I've ever played.

Being a hollow body, you'll prolly want to take it easy on this guitar, but after owning it for almost a year I don't have a single scratch on the finish. I've hit the neck a few times and my strap snapped once, but it held strong. The hardware has held up well, but the gold on it has started to rub off. The strap buttons are extremely solid, which made me happy since I've had 2 other guitar on which they broke.

Quite good strait out of the box, very little adjustment needed. The action was perfect, still have little to no fret buzz. As I said, the pickups do their job, but some new ones would definitely be a good idea. All the hardware was well adjusted, and I've had to do very little myself. The 19th fret on the B string was dead, and a few other high frets weren't great, but this guitar isn't really meant for that. I could probably get this fixed.

First off, I should mention that this is an absolutely beautiful guitar. That being said, there are a few problems, the gold hardware wears down to the silver metal beneath in the places that receive more wear and tear. The pickups are kind of weak, but they aren't terrible. Also, the fret markers stop after the 15th fret, which is a slight problem. These are the only problems I had. Overall, quite nice.

Kanthras
    "When plugged in, it sounds quite average. I plan on replacing the pickups soon." "I have a Spider II half stack" This thing makes a Spider half stack sound average instead of crap! Amazing guitar!
    guitaruboy
    qotsa1998 wrote: Id really like to have something like this. Nick Valensi from The Strokes has a sixties one of these, with a trapeze tailpiece. Id put one of those on there, and throw in some nice Duncan '59s, maybe tint the finish a bit, and have an amaaazing guitar. Lots of blues players played these, including John Lee Hooker and BB King, altho he has his own awesome signature model. After I get a Strat, something like this will be next on my list.
    wrongo nick has a riveria with some really hot gibson pickups in it he's even got 2 signature models of it nice guitar
    rf_hockey
    how about something like the dot or casino. would that give a similiar sound for classic rock too?
    geluidsterroris
    rf_hockey wrote: I'm also planning on getting my first electric. I'm really not sure what to get though. I really like the looks of a hollow/semi-hollow body but thats not really my style. I'm looking for a classic rock and some slower tempo stuff too.
    the sheraton is awesome for classic rock
    dsotm73
    i want this guitar so badly. im a jazz player and it fits the sound i want so perfectly.
    rf_hockey
    Mrtomtwo
    Kill3r7: I suggest a Yamaha Pacifica (112v or a higher grade). I have owned one for 5 years its bullet proof and can kick out Hendrix, AC/DC, Led Zep and Skynryd with minimum effort. if you're still set on an Epiphone the Les Paul standards are very good but a bit heavy. can you give me a more accurate price range so i could get a better idea of the market
    Ki113r 7
    heh oh and just to save my self from looking a complete n00b, I play acoustic
    Ki113r 7
    I need help people, I'm looking on buying my first electric. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to all the tech knowledge regarding electrics, all I can say is, I wanna play some QOTSA style rock, with a lil heavier stuff like I dunno, Tenacious D or something. But I still wanna have the option of a soft, clean sound. I'm torn between choosing an Ibanez, Epiphone LP , Dot or Casino. Dunno which one to choose, advice would be appreciated. I dunno if a hollow body is the way to go, which is why I'm leaning towards a Epi LP.
    blazerok
    U mean a Bigsby bridge?
    Flying Couch
    This was the main competitor when I bought my Epiphone Alleykat. It's a damn fine axe.
    Krzychuzokecia
    Wonderful! I want that thing! Fantastic semi-hollow body guitar. I've played on one and it has wonderful sound on little Marshall amp.
    SkaBassist
    Perturabo wrote: It always amazes me when I see it get hight points, even though there are obvious flaws listed in the reveiw.
    Yeah, but you have to understand I'm trying to point out the weak spots. I'd rather someone give me the problems with a guitar than just rave about it. The high points are a better representative of my opinion.
    Perturabo
    Point taken, however I think ratings for all guitars, not just this one, may not be a true representation of the guitar. I agree that for the price, this guitar is good, and with a few upgrades (pickups, bridge, nut) this could be a great guitar, but may not still warrant a 10.
    imgooley
    Anything that was good enough for john lee hooker is more than good enough for me.
    Perturabo
    It always amazes me when I see it get hight points, even though there are obvious flaws listed in the reveiw. Nice guitar, but worth 9's and 10's, I don't think so.
    zackk
    my friend has this guitar and i am not much on the looks, but the playablity is good(even though it is a left handed guitar and i am right handed)and it sounds pretty good.
    oldmancore
    I own one of these and I couldn't be happier with it, although I am a sucker for semi-hollow guitars. Sounds great and still looks great after two years. Ben Nichols from Lucero plays one. Ted Leo played one before he got a Gibson custom model.
    hard to explain
    Iv'e got one and it is beautiful and the sound is brilliant too considering the price, i love it. Lead guitarist in Kings of Leon also uses it among others!
    TheFreeBird
    same. cept ive had a strat for about 5 years now and a bunch of other guitars. but something like this is probobly gonna be the next guitar i get
    qotsa1998
    leony03
    i have a Epiphone LP and iv hit it so many times (by accident obviously) and i cant see a single scratch or mark. they really are good quality
    Weybl Himself
    They're probably the pick of Epiphone's hollow body line, along with the Dot/Dot Studio. I've found that if you drop a pair of Gibson pups in them (either Burstbuckers or Burstbucker Pros) the body materials are good enough to deliver a gorgeous sound. A very solid buy I'd say.