Sheraton II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Sheraton II

Price paid: C$ 850

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I play mostly Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin and Stevie Ray Vaughan, and most other things going in that bluesy classic rock category, and it fits all of them PERFECTLY. I was so surprised when I plugged it the way the humbuckers and the thick clean tone a hollowbody naturally has sounds amazing. I'll have to admit the bridge pickup sounds flat and boring but the variations you can make with just the neck pickup is amazing it sounds open from the "f" holes but as chunky as a humbucker should be and then just by merely switching from a pick to using your fingers it almost sounds perfectly clean without touching anything. I run it straight through a Randall VMX30 and the two go together perfectly I end up playing this a little more than my dad's '74 Gibson Les Paul Custom and that says a lot.

I'm a lefty so guitars like this with my selection are a rare find of any company and as I said it's amazing for the stuff I play and can match my father's Les paul amazingly other than the open sound of it being a hollowbody. I've been playing for about 2 and something years and play about 2-4 hours every day. My gear: this beauty I've been talking about, '74 Les Paul Custom in Sunburst, Epiphone Special II (on usedvictoria if you're interested), Jackson/Charvel I believe it's a dinky model but it's from the '70s and there's no way of telling for me and I honestly don't care it's better than the Gibson and the Sheraton, Simon & Patrick 12 string acoustic, Yamaha 6 string acoustic, Peavy right handed with flipped strings acoustic, and this guitar I made out of a Unico gas can and a Fender neck. If it were stolen or lost I'd definitely buy a new one if I could afford it but I'm saving up for a wine red Gibson Les Paul Studio and that would come first.

I baby the thing but I could picture it falling into pieces if it was dropped roughly as the body feels a little fragile but as long as you're not an idiot and put some locks on it that shouldn't happen. The lock thing is very important if you're even going to stand up when playing as the front pin for it is instead of being on the side near the neck is behind the neck and so the strap turns and unhooks itself constantly.

I can't Say much on Epiphones factory set ups as I own two and the other one came out as trash but this one was set up perfectly so far other than the strap hooks which I replaced with locks.

Mine is in Vintage Sunburst and like the rest of the Epiphones I believe it was made in Japan and inspected in the US. It has a regular 24.75 nut width, 22 frets with beautiful inlays (mother of pearl block with an abalone triangle in the middle) on a rosewood fingerboard with the binding design going up the on the sides of the neck. Arched maple top, back, rim, and laminated maple neck. It's a double cutaway hollow body with two "f" holes and has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece. 2 Humbuckers with a volume and tone for each and a 3-way switch, and stock grover tuners that keep it in tune really well. It has a cool pickguard too but I took it off and for the record that "beautiful" stem of flowers going up the headstock looks like leaves and a bunch of lipstick Kiss marks hanging off them but they're cool I like em.

alex g 38
    guitaruboy wrote: qotsa1998 wrote: Id really like to have something like this. Nick Valensi from The Strokes has a sixties one of these, with a trapeze tailpiece. Id put one of those on there, and throw in some nice Duncan '59s, maybe tint the finish a bit, and have an amaaazing guitar. Lots of blues players played these, including John Lee Hooker and BB King, altho he has his own awesome signature model. After I get a Strat, something like this will be next on my list. wrongo nick has a riveria with some really hot gibson pickups in it he's even got 2 signature models of it nice guitar
    also his is from the nineties not sixties
    stratomaster123
    tigiri
    stratomaster123 wrote: What pickups are people swapping in for the stock ones? How do I know what different ones will sound like?
    Do some research on some different pickups. Most companies websites will have sound clips explaining what you're hearing. Here's a bunch of Dimarzios... http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/aud... ples/humbuckers_and/ At first I wanted a neck pickup that would split nicely, so I was trying to get hold of a Swineshead AMP. I ultimately decided to go with a Gibson p-94, though. The bridge pickup I replaced with a Dimarzio Air Classic. I've never heard a better guitar in my life.
    JCVonMueller
    I have an older, mid 90's, Sheraton II Vintage Sunburst. Aside from some minor wear on the gold plated parts, it is still perfect. I keep it hanging on the wall and play it everyday. The finish on these is beautiful. I love all of my epiphones.