Sheraton II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Sheraton II

The guitar suits my musical style well, which ranges from Byrdsy jangle-pop, through to 'alternative rock' and slightly heaver psych. I also play a little jazzy stuff, just for fun. Between the two humbuckers theres enough for accoustic-ish strummable tones to searing lead lines. The stock pickups are fine although a little middle of the road. In an ideal world I'd swap them for something with a little bit more 'zing' but they are pretty good for a guitar of this price. The pickup select lever gets noisy but a little switch-cleaner quietens it down. It's been played through a Fender Hot Rod, Peavey solid state and a Peavey Classic 50 head and cab, where it really shines.

I love the look of the Sheraton and it's useful more much of my music where I want a richer creamier noise-free tone. I think it makes you look cool too, although for sheer playability I prefer a strat-style guitar and the wieght, while not a show stopper, does mean I probbaly don't move about with it as much as I do when playing a Strat. I have a early 90s US made Peavey Predator and a MIM Strat. If it was stolen or lost I would definately want another 335-style guitar, as I use those semi-accoustic humbucking tones a lot, but would probably shop around to see what else it out there. Unlike Strats, where you can make a case for a MIM being very close to a US in many regards, there's quite a big difference between a Sheraton and a Gibson 335. Ultimately I have the Sheraton because I can't afford the Gibson.

The guitar has been moderately gigged over the years and doesn't appear to have a mark on it. I respect my gear but I'm amazed there are no more than the tiniest stratches. The thick poly coating may look a little cheap but it does protect the guitar. It's a weighty guitar so straplocks will stop it breaking free.

I'm never too bothered about what the set-up at the factory as I get my guitars set-up by a tech. I guess factory set-up was good! No finishing flaws I can see at all. It's well made. The gold effect tarnishes fairly quickly - after a few months the gold was rubbing off - but that just makes it look a little relic'ed.

I think I bought this guitar new in 2003. I like to buy used but used guitars were so close to new on this occasion I didn't bother. It's a pretty looking beastie with gold hardware, grover tuners, mother-of-pearl-effect block inlays. It looks much grander than the Epiphone Dot but with the heavy poly coating it still bears the hallmarks of a relatively cheap far-east Gibson 335 semi-accoustic copy. You get a hard case with it, but it's probably not one you'd want to check in at the airport.

Nealsey
    I have just got my new Sheraton on ebony and I have to say it's a beautiful guitar. Well made, and extremely tactile. A little heavy, but hey, small price to pay for such a beautiful guitar. Well worth the money. Just need to learn to play it a bit beter now to do it justice
    Charlie4
    Spider Half stack, solid-state sound for Industrial metal? Definately, otherwise I don't know what he paid but if it was a cent over $500 it truly is a shame. Peavey 112 - $419 Celestion Seventy Eighty Speaker - $79. Total: $500 10x better. Epi hollows are good value for money. At least I think so.
    theFonz
    I love this guitar. I picked one up last week brand now and paid 650 for it. Aside from the fact that it looks amazing in the gold sunburst, it sounds incredible. I mostly play Kings of Leon stuff among other rock bands, and it sounds GREAT. With the right settings on an amp/pedal, this thing can talk. The voicing is just amazing, with the just the slightes notes and melodies I can do so much. This is by far my favorite guitar, as I've owned a couple strats and teles, and they do not compare. I would advise anyone who is looking for a very good quality guitar withough breaking bank that this is the guitar to own!! I give it a 10/10//!