Sheraton II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Sheraton II

Purchased from: McKay Music

I like the sound through either a 50 watt Marshall or a 1965 Fender Vibrolux. I prefer my 65 Fender tube amp with echo-reverb built in, which, produces a fat round, clean tone at mid-volume. If more distortion is needed I increase the volume to 8-10. I purchased a amp stand which was needed when playing with other musicians who have larger amps. I can get nice 'pinch' harmonix when needed. On rare occasion I use a Dunlop wah pedal.

I have played for 50 years. All genre. Traveled on the road and played large venues and low-down bars. !00 watt double stacked Marshalls; 50 watt smaller Peavey, Fender, Vox, and the Epi has always done it's part. I name my guitars and, although not in the same class as my Gibson, Fender or, Gretsch, "Blondie" will remain in the family. Blondie is to darned pretty to let go.

As mentioned previously this is a working players guitar. Gig ready and set up for nightly use. This Epi is not hard on the shoulder as it is not a heavy guitar. I have never had any problem with the strap buttons, but, to be safe I installed locking buttons.

The crafmanship of this guitar is excellent. Perhaps other Korea made Epiphone were not so well made, but, this one is a work of art. The wood grain is matched and lined beautifully. The color contrast of blonde, gold, and, tortoise shell is an eye popper and I often get comments from the audience or other musicians.

I purchased an Epiphone Sheraton II in 1991, used, made in Korea. My Epi is blonde with gold hardware, tune-o-matic bridge, and 2 humbucking pick-ups. It has two tone and two volume 'witch-hat' knobs. The headstock has that beautiful Epiphone 'tree' design. The headstock is larger than many other guitars. The neck is comprised of 3 separate types of wood with a 'skunk' line down the middle. The finish has retained the high gloss Shine even after many years of use. I have used the guitar in rock, blues, country, and, some jazz bands. A very versatile guitar and a real headturner for looks. I had to replace the pots after much use. I usually set my guitars action and harmonics up but, the Epi required a Luthier, to reset the neck due to my A string not being balanced. I like the double cut-away, and it frets nicely up and down the neck. I installed off white fret markers in the upper neck similar to a Gibson. The tortoise shell pick-gaurd is classy, but, I had to place a small rubber pad between the guard and body due to the guard vibrating against the body. Ernie Ball strings either 0.9 or 0.10 work well; I prefer the 0.9 package. This Epi is a well crafted solid 'working' players guitar. I own Gibsons and Fenders and, although my Epi is an excellent instrument, it cannot compete with my Gibson or Fender. However, for durability, beauty, tone, and price it serves as a excellent back-up guitar. I noticed the price ($500.00 in 1992) has changed very little over the last 20+ years. I.e. minimal depreciation.

tyfu20
    I have a 2012 Sheraton II and it was made in the Korean Unsung plant.
    jacqueda
    Someone mentioned their Sheraton being made in Japan and assembled in the states. There is not chance of that. If you have an old but not ancient Sheraton it might be made in Korea but the new ones are made in China.
    DavidM2112
    I bought an Epiphone Sheraton II in Natural due to the high cost of Gibson ES-335's which is what I really wanted. I have been playing guitar for 36+ years, own ~ 20 guitars including many Gibson's. IMHO and serious research into construction methods for TD's, I came to the conclusion that the Epiphone is constructed much like the 335 but by a Luthier in China not a Luthier in Nashville. These guitars have to have hands on building techniques because of how difficult they are to make. I would definitely rather have a Gibson ES-335 however the Epiphone Sheraton II is the "poor man's" 335. Mine happens to be 100% flawless and with the new ProBuckers the tone is pretty darn good. I play it into a tube screamer into a blackface deluxe reverb. Say what you will but mine absolutely screams!! The action is superb and it actually stays in tune for days. I got mine as a package deal from an on-line store ie - guitar & case for well under $600.00 with a coupon. I am one happy dude!!
    Binford2
    I purchased the Sheraton II Pro (2015)in Wine Red. It looks great out of the box. The action was a little high for me, so when I changed out the strings for Curt Mangan (9 to 46) and lowered the bridge ever so slightly, now it's perfect. Apon examining the guitar and its finish, I noticed that the 'E' on the pickguard was un-pealing. I guess this is the kind of workmanship you get with something made in China. Nothing else looks fake. Personally, I think the pickguard looks better just plain. So the only thing now is to play it and let time speak for how well this guitar is put together. It is very beautiful...I gotta say..and it sounds great.
    Darth Crow
    I'm probably getting this guitar soon for my band because my LTD Deluxe doesn't really fit our classic\hard rock sound. I'm pretty sure it will perform well in that context, but what I am concerned about is that I really enjoy playing stuff like Dream Theater and whether I will be able to play that on this beauty too... any hints on that?
    BUTCHY13
    I've just looked up the serial number on mine and it was made in the Unsung factory in Korea in January 2004. It came with Gibson pickups which I've never seen the need to replace as they sound great no matter what I've wanted to play. It looks beautiful in vintage sunburst, it plays great, it sounds great and yes the gold wears away but you pay more for that if you want to buy a "relic" new and I like the way it looks. I'd recommend one to anybody who wants this style of guitar.