Slash Snakepit review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Slash Snakepit

Purchased from: eBay

The sound that eminated from the stock 57 classic pickups was decent, but not "Slashy" at all. I immediately changed them out for aph1n and aph1b Seymour Duncan pickups. Slash specs. The stopbar and tailpiece were swapped from black Epiphone to nickel gibsons. The tuners were pulled, and replaced with Gibson greens. The black knobs scrapped for antique bronze tophats... And the pots were pulled and swapped for a Gibson set up from ebay. Next up,, is the p.o.s. switch. It has dead spots. It suits me fine, now...and it has a tone that kills all the new Slash signatures. whether it kills the appetite is unknown.Original sound was ok, but sounded more like a standard than a signature. It makes all the required squeelies, and sound great thru my Marshall driven Crate stack.

I play a full spectrum of music with it... Everything from Foo Fighters to Avril to GNR. Les Paul is my instrument of choice, and I have 6 of them. 1 Gibson, the rest Epiphone, because I can make epiphones sound identical, and my body doesn't annihilate an epi finish like it does to nitrocellulose. I've played for 11 years, on and off. This guitar will definitely always have a home. If stolen I would replace it immediately. The color, tone, and feel, all become a part of my body, and a natural extension. All in all, Its me... And it rocks!

As a stock unit, you will find issues. From top to bottom: Tuners will be loose, and need tuning more. Replace Them! Strings need to be Ernie Ball 10-46's. Replace Them! The pickups are 57 classics. Not bad, but if you want true Slash tone... Replace Them! The black tune o matic and stop bar didn't do anything for me cosmetically, or functionally. The T.O.M. Rattled on its posts. Guess what I did?... Replace Them! The pots are ok, but have dead areas after long term use. AND the switch has a dead area. Pots are already gone, but for the switch... Guess what I'm gonna do... Replace Them!

Action:really quick. It can be fast as hell, if you set it up right. Fit: A+++ on the fit. It is China built, but the quality rivals by Gibson bfg, for neck tolerances. Finish: The finish is a gorgeous trans red over a AAA flamed maple cap. The decal is under umpteen layers of clear, and looks great. Not as great as if it were carved in, but fairly well. The tuners were crap on a cracker, but once the cheapo deluxe hardware is removed, and replaced with good stuff, I would play her in front of a crowd of millions, and not be ashamed.

Its a 1997 Snakepit Les Paul. 22 frets, trans red finish with a flame maple capped top. The body is chambered for weight. These were the first Slash signatures released in 95 thru 97 I believe. They were the counterparts to the Gibsons with the carved snake. Epiphones were decals. Body is mahogany. Neck is rosewood, with trapezoid inlays, in pearloid.It carries, as stock, a black set of Gibson deluxe knock off tuners, black tune-o -matic, and stop bar, black speed knobs, with 2 tone, 2 volume, and a toggle. The stock frets were 57 classics. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I changed a bunch of things to wake it up.

Shabalaba
    Jsteele1408
    For something you had to do that much modification on, you probably shouldn't have rated it so highly.
    RockRolla
    I agree with Time Seller,You rated a modded guitar(that does sound sweet,now)and not the original.
    Briar30
    Zen_13k
    but once the cheapo deluxe hardware is removed, and replaced with good stuff
    Butthead
    jr.v
    so i see that you actually replaced almost everything except the body and the neck. sooo let me think i buy a guitar then replace everything on it for extra money hhhhhmmmm you know? for all that money you could buy a real guitar
    Tyler Durden
    these kind of reviews make me shake my head...UG should really screen these better...this is biased and not usefull to someone that wants to buy this guitar
    tristan_deity
    kevcop9617
    Shabalaba wrote: You gave the sound a 9 but what would you give it as a standard before you swapped things out?
    It was completely tolerable. All of my mods were to bring it stage worthy. As a sit at home and play it guitar, stock was perfectly fine.
    kevcop9617
    Butthead wrote: The body is not chambered, and the stock parts are alright. I modded mine a bit, but I would give it an 8 stock. Don't let this review fool you, this is truly a great guitar the with a few simple mods (tuning pegs, better electronics) it rips with the Gibbys.
    Really? Got any other Epi's to weigh and compare? BTW, when Epiphone had this listed on their site, THEY said it was chambered. Most of the information written on it these days, also states that it has a chrome TRC, which it does not. Some ads even say that it comes with pro2's. Also false.You are correct, the stock parts are "Alright"...however the rattle of the T.O.M., and stop bar, all add to your loss of vibration and sustain. Something that "I" cant tolerate. You WILL find , in time that the switch deadens out. My review was written as a forewarning of what to look for. I respect your opinion, and those of the other reviewers on here, but it miffs me that no one else got off their dead asses to review it, but jump my shit for doing it my way. Hope to see everyone here submit their own.
    kevcop9617
    tristan_deity wrote: This guitar relly looks like a crappy, fake epiphone. Who is the idiot doing doing this review, replace them, replace them, REPLACE YOURSELF!!!
    Yeah, thats called STOCK ARTWORK that UG supplied, junior.
    kevcop9617
    Briar30 wrote: Yeah I agree with all of them. You just rated a modded guitar. Its not the Slash Snakepit anymore. Its your custom guitar. Now it seems like a huge improvement, but still, rate it before you swap it all out.
    True, however...if I were to rate it prior to the mods, then people would argue their points yet again.To an 18 year old, its awesome. To someone that has had stage time, and way more expensive guitars, it sucks. My balance was saying that its ok, as stock, (which all my scores reflect) but I also modded it to put it in ranking with the higher end ones. I have 17 different electrics, that arent epi's or gibsons. I use washburns, PRS, and I have a 37 martin acoustic.BTW, none of my epi's are stock. Thanks for your reply!!
    kevcop9617
    Zen_13k wrote: First off, rating things you have to change a 9... iffy. I own one of these and i wouldnt change a thing about it, but preferences I guess. but once the cheapo deluxe hardware is removed, and replaced with good stuff Ive never had a problem with the hardware on mine, and it see's 2-3 hours of playing a day, and also i don't think the body is chambered.
    You probably have one that has been babied all of its life.Ive had mine 10 years. Im betting that you havent had yours long enough to kill it yet...just wait...you will.