Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333

Purchased from: Ken Stanton Music

I play a lot of punk music, poppunk, rock, even metal and pop at times. This guitar covers all the bases and sounds great playing U2 or blink 182... The pickup is was a big factor in buying the guitar and it really is fantastic. I have played it through a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt and it sounds great distorted or clean. I have also used it on a little amp that has a really dirty and rude sound and it plays ramones-Esq punk rock well. Its pretty quiet, amazing considering its a pretty hot pup in a semi hollow instrument, but i dont get too close to my amp or really crank them up to 11 that often... very full sound, very bright highs and deep lows. The sound it makes is varied and as long as its more distorted rock oriented music you're good. The cleans wont blow you away, but they aren't bad at all.

It matches my style perfectly. I have played around 3 years. I have an epi lp standard, this guitar, a homemade EVH Frankenstein strat, and a Peavey rockmaster. I also have 2 acoustics. I would get it again, and its fantastic.

Seems tough, not a lot to break here, the hardware seems good, I play aggressively. Good strap buttons, for my strap anyway. If I was playing a gig at a coffee house I wouldn't bring a backup, but to a bigger gig I would bring one of my other 3 electrics.

Action- Low, Low, Low... Super fast, very good. A bit of buzz on the low "e", but I fixed that. Pickup- Sounds fine to me, with 12 pole pieces and height adjustment I don't wanna mess with it, it already sounds great! Craftsmanship- Overall really great. The knob and jack were a bit loose after a few hours, but thats normal. The bridge had some stuff that came off easily, not sure if this was factory or music stores fault. The nut has like a sliver of space more on one side than the other if you want to get picky. Everything is very well put together and is a caliber above my Epi Les Paul standard.

My guitar was made in August of 2010 in China, and it has 22 medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard with a one ply-binding. The fretboard is adorned with Dot inlays and the neck has a 24-3/4" scale length. It features a 1960's slim-taper neck, but its still bigger than a Strat neck. The neck is mahogany and the back is not painted and allows for fast playing with little effort. It has a maple/birch laminated top with an attractive cream racing stripe on a brown matte finish body. It has a Standard Gibson style hollow-body shape with cream binding all around. The bridge is a Tune-o-matic, as is the stop bar. All the hardware is chrome, and I did notice a bit of "gunk", or some residue on the stopbar.. All the electronics are passive, and it features one lone volume control potentiometer, topped with a matching cream knob. Standard Epiphone jack sometimes gets loose, as does the volume knob, but I have already fixed this. It has one pickup, a Gibson made dirty fingers humbucker. Its a monster, and has massive output. It has a great dirty crunch more akin to old rock records than todays over processed, over compressed hard rock sound. Standard Grover tuners, though it stays in tune fine. The Epiphone strap buttons seem fine with my Planet Waves strap. Also came with the usual accessories; A crappy cable, truss rod wrench, and a box.

GravyStains
    it's fine on clean. do you even have the guitar? It's better than your piece of fender crap. Have you seen what the ES-333 was able to do? Ya kno tom doesn't only play punk, listen to AVA. You God damn hatters, i have the guitar, both the epiphone and gibson one. And it's amazing. For those who are interested, buy it, these guys have no idea what they're talking about. But, do buy the one from Epiphone, alot cheaper and sounds just as great.