Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333

I play a lot of punk, and alternative, mostly my own stuff. But I've covered everything from muse to dashboard confessional with this. Obviously it plays Blink-182 and Angels And Airwaves easily. I use a Crate amp, and have a DigiTech RP-250 or 200, not too sure. I can make all sorts of awesome sounds, and the guitar is able to handle them all easily. Even with a direct feed into the amp it sounds very nice. Also the guitar is semi-hollow, so you can go without an amp. However, it's a little noisy, since its a semi hollow.

I play a mixture of punk, space, and alternative rock. This guitar feels made for what I play, I've been playing 19 months now, and this guitar helped make me a lot better. If someone stole this guitar, I would buy another one, simply cause of the uniqueness that signature models have. What I love: The finish, the action, the shape, f holes, semi-hollow, the thin neck, grover tuners, and pick-up. What I hate: my strap has trouble staying on, its got a bit of feedback. I was either going to buy this or a Fender Jaguar. I chose this because it was 200$ cheaper, and the guitar seems very unused by most people. Its the best guitar I've had, and that I've played, and is perfect for someone who wants a different guitar, that still rocks.

It is a very light guitar, surprisingly, given it's size. Also, since it has one pick-up and knob, little can go wrong with the guitar, and for the 10 months I've had it, nothing has. My strap is very heavy for a strap, and it does tend to fall of when I'm sitting, or if I put the guitar behind my back. However, it does not fall off when I'm just standing and playing. I wouldn't use a back-up guitar bringing this one, and if I did, it would just be another ES-333. My only negative comment on this is the finish, since it is fairly matte, I can see the matte finsih wearing off and becoming shiny.

The action is the best I've ever had on a guitar. Nice and low. The pick-up was ready to go, as was everything else. The only problem would be the grover tuner on the g-string, although even that is better than other guitars I've played. The Finish was perfect, no smudges or scratches, and no other flaws were noticed.

Made in China, 22 medium Jumbo frets with a laminated maple/birch top. I like the size of the frets, but wish there were 24, the neck is pretty skinny, which I like. The Finish is brown, with a cream stripe running down the middle. Its very unique, and I haven't seen any brown guitars other than this. It's basically an ES-335 with a Locktone Tune-o-matic bridge and stop bar tail piece. Also it has grover tuners that lock, my G string (ha) likes to drop a little low, but the rest stay in tune a long time. It only has a volume control, which is all I need, the rest I use the pedals I have for. The big thing it has is a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup. It has just one, but it sounds great, and really accepts effects.