Tony Iommi SG Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Tony Iommi SG Custom

Purchased from: eBay brand new

I mainly play hard rock, and heavy metal such as sabbath. It's a dream to play. Although people say it's bad on cleans, I've played stairway to heaven and stuff, and yeah the pickups are powerful, but if your gental it's fine. All I can say anything with the slightest distortion it just owns anything else I've played. The bridge pickup gives that harsh, metal sound. But with the neck pickup with it's pup covers it can if you turn the tone knob down give a lovely mellow blues sound. I use a metal muff, for a proper Vintage metal sound, lovely and sexy sound.

Overall I absolute love this guitar. It's my dream. I've been playing for 4 years with a school teacher, but within the last 3 months I've had private lessons and started getting really serious. And this thing can shred, even if the Ibanez shred people said you can't shred on it, you can. I've tried, sucessfully. If this guitar was stolen, I woudl quite frankly kill the bastard Who pinched it. And would definately buy a new one. I just the vareiety in tone, from mellow creamy rich, to harsh metalish there's nothing I hate about this guitar, even the strap button is well placed, which is the floor of most other SGs, it's not as neck heavy as others. I don't like trems, especially floyd. Mainly because they distract me from my playing and seem to get in my way. Overall a very (SG) solid guitar. But I would go further than that, infact a supurb guitar.

I don't really gig, but never had any problems in the last 6 months. I'm not a punk rocker so I don't ware my guitar at my waist and jump about. But the strap buttons seem solid. But if I gigged I would rely on it. Although me being who I am I wouldn't incase a string snapped. But that's not the fault of the guitar. The finish seems like it will last.

The reason I got this guitar quite cheap of eBay was because it wasn't set up. But it only cost me 20 to get set up and this thing plays like a dream compared to the G-400S and Les Pauls I played in the shop. Its neck is smooth and creamy, I also belive it's slightly thinner than other gibson/epiphone necks. But not so thin that it feels horrible. It's just the way I like them. But apart from the set up it was all very good, no sharp edges on the bridge or anything.

Where do I start this thing is just a beaty, combined with my metal muff, it even makes my crappy Marshall MG squeal. Anyway back on topic. It was made in Korea. It has a 24 fret rosewood fretboard. It has medium frets. This beast consists of black paint and hardware (chrome I think). It has a double cutaway body. It's got a tune o matic bridge. It has passive signature USA Iommi humbuckers. It always stays in tune for me, aint tuned it for 3 weeks, after playing 3 hours a day. Just shows you what groover tuners do. The picture above does not do it any justice, it make it look quite dull and with a mat finish compared to it's Gibson counterpart. In real life it's as glossy as the Gibson.

Satchifunkilus
    the.spine.surfs
    I have a plan. Let's get Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Squier, ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, and Gretch to give every UG member 1 of each of the guitars they have on their 2006 lineups. We'll be given 40 years to assess the quality of the instruments, and report back afterwards. We'll keep the guitars, and all have realized that preferance is preferance.
    This_Kidd
    Abnormal_Omish
    ^Your ignorance is truely amazing. Great guitar, considered buying it but settled for a dinky instead.
    Lilldjuret
    ^ So they're not as good as the guitars that are three times as expensive? Of course not. What would Gibson get out of something like that? Anyway, just because they're not as top notch as the pricey guitars that no people can afford doesn't make them bad either.
    thunderinblack
    that guy is right guitars are about preference if everyone wanted there guitar made in the same place out of the same wood in the same shap with the same pickups and hardwhere all guitars would be the same and that would be horrible i say let people chosse what type of guitar they want and you dont like something about that guitar ont buy it
    guitargod1965
    I am fortunate enough to have picked up one of these when they first came to winnipeg and am extremely happy with it. I switched the pickups to EMG 81/85 combo and this guitar is an absolute dream. The neck is very VERY FAST,comfortable and has remained true since day one. I play through several diffent amps and am blown away by the versatility of this guitar. I own several much more expensive guitars including a high end Jackson, a vintage Les Paul, a very rare fender and the list goes on and I like playing my Iommi best, not just because of the tone I am able to get out of it but because of its amazing playability. This guitar easily compares to others that cost 2-3 times (or more) as much.
    guitargod1965
    I also wanted to add that this guitar compares very favorably with my jackson dinky, particulary since I changed the pickups. The stock pickups are very good, don't get me wrong, but I liked the feel of this guitar so much that I wanted the emg pickups and saw it as a worthwhile investment.
    jecosmitty
    oookay you don't know what your talking about. Any axe with the strap peg placed at the cut away is going to tip. It's not the construction of the guitar. It's the off balancing due to strap peg placement. All ya gotta do is take it out and put it closer to where the neck is attached, sort of like how some bolt-on axes have the peg placed on the neck plate to keep proper balance. Due your homework before yappin off like a know it all.
    Satchifunkilus
    TELECASTERS ARE FOR GAY COUNTRY GUITARISTS, HAVE THE WORST PLAYABLITY, LOOK HORRIBLE AND HAVE NO ADVANTAGE,(ACTUALLY HAVE MANY DISADVANTAGES) TO MOST OTHER GUITAR!!!!! 21 FRETS IS GAY UNLESS ITS A FENDER AND YOUR PLAYING BLUESY STUFF ON IT, OTHERWISE 24 FRETS FOREVER 4 GREAT PLAYABILITY AND ACCESS TO HIGHER FRETS. Sorry if i sound biased but i am only writing logically and what i write is the truth. Like, what would make you like a telecaster better than a les paul? I mean, they both have the same playablity as each other but les pauls sound good.
    Fenyx
    im thinkin abt buying this guitar over the summer. so, yeah, i hope its as good as the reviews say it is. but i wouldn't doubt it bcuz Epiphone truly is only Gibson with Epiphone written on it.
    nickdude
    lol@all you dudes, ESP own in the metal/rock department, and fender owns clean, all you need i one of each and you're set
    Sloopy
    This guitar to me was awful. Just a way for Iommi and Epi to make more money, and for Epi to try and appeal to the nu-metal and metal genre.
    gyzer_8970
    _fender_fan_
    METMAN
    I like Ibanez so far the best,not a big sg fan. No offence to gibson fans and i don't agree with nick dude at all iv seen alot of guitars better at metal then esp guitars and fender isnt the only clean guitar.
    M3AK
    Satchifunkilus wrote: Jimmy Page did fine using Telecasters as did many good guitar players. A lot of good lead playing happens outside of frets 22-24! I think a lot of poeple play up there because the frets are closer together and they don't need to stretch much to reach other notes. Sounds kinda boring after awhile though in my opinion. Man its not about playing in between the 22nd and 24th frets, its about the fact that its much easier to play in between the 12th to the 22nd fret on a 24 fret guitar because the person who designs the guitar makes sure that you can reach the 24th fret on the guitar as well as you could reach the 22nd fret on a 22 fret guitar which makes it alot easier to reach the 22nd fret ( if you want to use it or not, personally id rather have the option of 24 frets even if i never played anything on the 24th fret but why limit yourself?) and anything below it.
    You sound like a rambling idiot! It's about playing between the 22nd-24th fret? So it's about playing the 23rd fret constantly? Wow, that sounds really shit! Also, of course it's easier to reach the 22nd fret on a 24 fret guitar....but that isn't WHY they make 24 fret guitars. The make 24 fret guitars so you can have 24 ****ing frets and climb 2 octaves up the fretboard. I'm sure you meant something other then how it came across in your post and I'm just reading it wrong but that is what it seems like you meant and it seems rather stupid if it is.
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    Despise me, but I just scored an epiommi for a hundred bucks it was craigslisted generically as an epiphone SG. It was like finding four hundred dollars on the ground on the way to the guitar shop... As much as I like black guitars - I have about six of them - the total lack of chrome seems boring, which means the ONLY contrast is the Tony Iommi signature in white on the trussrod cover, and the cross inlays. The signature looks awesome - thank you Tony for a lifetime of inspiration and awesome riffage - but the crosses are too small. Playing it back and forth between my epi vintage mahogany, the biggest difference is the gloss vs. satin neck. And the pickups of course, which sound alot like ozzy's voice and remind me of why sabbath was never equaled after the iommi/ozzy split. But at $500 going rate for exc. used vs. $300 new for an epi worn, i'd save the deuce, unless pickups and iommi collectability are your main motivations.
    wmd13
    I have both the Tony Iommi and the Goth SGs. Both are Epiphones and are in mint condition. PM me with serious offers only.
    sexmeister
    ok it looks sexy but its just a cheap ass initation of the gibson cuz epiphone cont make their own guitars
    JayLacelle
    can anyone tell me details about the tone of the pickups? i don't play any black sabbath but i was thinking this would be a good hard rock guitar but only if the pickups don't "scoop" the mids too much.
    thelonesoldier
    I tried one of these at a music store and it sounded really bad, way worse than a stock G-400. Maybe the one I tried was defective or the strings were bad...
    Dog454
    I've got one of these. Bought it back in 06'. So far I've managed to keep it from getting too dinged up, I've got one little dent on top of the top horn because my friend's G400 vintage fell onto it, and the lacquer around the input jack got cracked a little, so I put a black washer around it and now it's hard to tell. The action's great, no problems with buzzing or the neck at all. I'd still take this guitar over one of Epiphones new Prophecies, just because I'm confident my cleans are a hell of a lot better, and I still get to keep the 24 frets. The Iommibuckers are great. The bridge pickup is a little quieter, but when you put some distortion on top of it, it gives you a lot of crunch. The neck pickup is a bit louder, but the sound is a lot more smooth and better for solos and such.
    Phillitalian
    gyzer_8970 wrote: Modest Moose, you suck. Not only do you support fender, which ain't so bad but then ya have to go on about the scummy TELECASTER... PFFT!
    +100000, gyzer, you win
    KenG
    I got mine at Steves in Toronto and it was only $575.
    That sounds like a much better price! I actually thought the black pickups matched the look of the guitar pretty well.
    nick_b
    in my eyes SG=the sex. they sound good and look awesome. this one is no exception.
    Korzack
    Johnny Blade wrote: I own the Gibson Tony Iommi SG and have tried the Epiphone version and there is no difference in the sound. Just the way you play it.
    The reason they both sound the same (so far as I've deciphered) is because both the epi axe uses the same pickups as gibson's axe-both Iommi USA's.
    The_Hell_Patrol
    Always one of them^ So the finsih on it is a gloss black, not a flat or matte black?...caus ei HATE the feel of the Goth G-400, that flat paint isnt for me...but if its a gloss black...then the Tony Iommi sig shall be mine!
    ArcherTheVMan
    Wow music ground really ripped you off! there not usually that bad on prices (i live near leeds)
    fire within
    checked the specs for you and they are IDENTICAL until you get to the headstock, it says epiphone instead of gibson and the shape is a little different also the price is a lot less
    synyster.punk
    did u know epiphone came before gibson? they are the same brand after gibson bought them out.
    Lilldjuret
    ^ Exactly. Wow, this Ibanez has a really thin neck which I love! Well, many don't like their thin necks, some prefer the fatter necks of a Les Paul or something. So it's a matter of personal opinions
    nick_b
    i like the way you think bro
    LegendsOfRock
    I got mine at Steves in Toronto and it was only $575. MP93 said: black pickups dont fit on it. hahaha what colour of pickups would fit on it?? its a black guitar.
    \m/bwb\m/
    _fender_fan_ wrote: ^ The whole point of epiphone is to make more affordable versions of gibson guitars..... Yep, but they're not as good because they're made in crappy countries, so the woods and electronics aren't as high quality. You get that with alot of guitar brands. Cheap Jacksons and LTD/ESPs are made in Indonesia and countries like that, whereas the more expensive ones are made in Japan and Korea. My jackosn was made in Japan =D
    \m/bwb\m/
    heres where your wrong the parts are made in crappy places but they get shipped to NASVILLE to be assembled and wired epiphone is gibson with epiphone written on it
    Freddy_Walker
    All the way with you there mate. EVERYONE LISTEN TO WAT THIS GUY HAS TO SAY AND PUT EVERYTHING TO REST!!!!
    Lilldjuret wrote: Guees we could survive without your biased opinions. There's alot of difference between an Epi/Gibson and Fender. I'd say that Epiphone gets you alot more for the money than a Fender or Squier. Also, their main guitars, being Les Paul/SG for Epiphone/Gibson and Strat/Telecaster for Fender/Squier, are so ****ing different there's almost nothing to compare. It all comes down to preference in the long run.
    LegendsOfRock
    I am seriosly considering buying a new guitar right now i am using a radio shack one and my guitar teacher wont let me use it. i have decided i wanted an SG and this is one that is affordable and has all the advantages of the real SG (gibson pickups)
    MP93
    I think that 950$ for SG copy is realy too much. You could get Gibson for a bit more of cash. And black pickups just dont fit on it.
    KenG
    Agreed on that price! I saw an Elitist SG (somewhat rare) at Long & McQuades here in Calgary for around $1000.00 which would be better quality than the Korean Epi. The recent issues of Guitar Player are showing the TI SG and I must say it's a good looking guitar anyway!
    repairshop
    DO NOT BUY THIS THING ITS A PIECE OF SHIT. THE NECK IS HEAVIER THAN THE BODY SO IT JUST FALLS DOWN THE WHOLE FUCKIN TIME. PLAYED THIS GAY THING FOR ONE YEAR, BOUGHT A DEAN WHICH ELIMINATED THE FAGGOT THING THAT CANT STAY BALANCED AND ITS 10,000 TIMES BETTER THAN THIS PIECE. SERIOUSLY, YOU'LL BE VERY DISSAPOINTED.