Tony Iommi SG Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Tony Iommi SG Custom

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Friend

These pickups have a nice clean sound, even with a lot of distortion k which I really like, the neck pickups has a nice smooth sound for playing clean. You can get a lot of different sound with this guitar, and I dare say there is something with these pickups which makes them ideal for harmonics. This guitar has Gibson pickups, which I guess are worth when new more than what I paid for the guitar itself, so this was really a bargain, en the pickups just sound brutal.

Ideal for metal or heavier stuff. I got this guitar for 2 years and I play it every day. For the price I paid, this guitar is excellent. There is the Gibson version of this guitar, but I think this is the better bargain, as this has the same Gibson pickups. In my opinion, great guitar.

This guitar could handle a lot of abuse, although, I would surely bring a backup on a gig, for the reason mentioned above, just in case. Overall, it is in good shape, except for a little rust on the screws.

In all, this guitar was set-up just fine, as it came from my friend. The only thing wrong with is, is that there is a loose contact somewhere in the electronics, I affects the pickup switch, if I want to switch between the pickups, I may have to put the switch up and down again for maybe 5 times before in actually switches, which isn't that great if you want to use both pickups at a gig. As long as only 1 pickup is used you can avoid this ofcourse. Another thing I guess is related to this, is that in th efirst year I had this guitar, occasionnaly the sound would fall away (had this maybe 8 times), but this hasn't occured for at least a year, so I guess it resolved itself.

This guitar was made in June 2006 in the Unsung plant in Korea. It has 24 frets, 2 Iommi Gibson Humbuckers, mohogany SG body, ebony black finish, rosewood fretboard with cross inlays. Locktone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, all black chrome hardware. 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls, 3-way pickup switch.

KerNeL_KLuTcH
    Picked one of these up at the Gibson guitar factory in Nashville, TN this past summer. This thing is amazing fast neck, pickups that are as close to active as passives can be. Only complaint is that on some amps the cleans can get muddy. Well built, I've played Gibson Les Pauls that cost quadruple this that didn't have as nice construction. 24 Frets of awesomeness, inlays are supurb, utterly flawless. My only complaint is that the pickups have this sort of off color black chrome color that seems to oxidize and have a sort of rainbow color to them, weird but it seems to wear off with playing. This is Tony's Sound I've played artist series guitars that were not the artists sound, ie the numerous low level Dean artist series, rule of thumb if the pickups are standard don't buy it. Finally This guitar looks cool, aside from dumbass comments, like "are you some super christian?" to which i respond you clearly don't know who tony iommi & black sabbath are. My friend had a great idea if only they sold this in a left handed model. buy that and restring it righty. Inverted Crosses FTW.
    Jethrodog
    Wow, i am coming in late with this review. Picked one of these up in spring 2006 and been playing it every day since. Literally. Got it for $500 online, with a hardshell case. Had to change the nut, and the pickup selector. It was a piece of crap, put in a Gibson one, worked perfect since. I got it to do Sabbath, duh, and it is perfect. It stays in tune, had great action on the neck, very easy to play, and is amazing for distortion. I had the Gibson model and bought this to play live with so i wouldn't trash the "good" one. Finally sold the Gibson because on recordings and live playing no one could tell the difference except for the head stock. Took the money and bought a EJ Strat and a Fender '65 Deluxe. And still had cash left over, so i picked up an ESP LTD deluxe for playing Tool. Anyways, i digress, I love the guitar. Everyone has their preferences and mine is Sabbath, but seriously, i have no complaint on this thing. Even if i had paid $2000 for it i wouldn't be able to complain. Love it.