Tony Iommi SG Custom Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 11/19/2016 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Tony Iommi SG Custom
Mahogany neck. Mahogany body. Mother of pearl cross inlays on fingerboard. Stopbar tailpiece.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
 10,423
reviews (4) pictures (1) 55 comments vote for this gear:
Tony Iommi SG Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2004

Purchased from: Music Ground, Leeds

Features: This is a japanese made model (I am presuming at least). 24 frets and 24.75" neck, solid top, two-tone, two-volume, standard push/pull Gibson 3 way switching, passive H/H setup with two 'Iommibuckers', mahogany SG body obviously, Stop bar bridge, black finish (not matt), Grover tuners. Got a groovy chequer strap and full SG fitted hardcase for free with it. No tremolo, but I don't use it anyway, so I'm not bothered. // 8

Sound: I know what you're thinking, Iommi SG = for Black Sabbath wannabes only. Wrong. I play hardcore and standard rock, and this baby can swing with the best of them. The Iommibuckers are extremely powerful, with a great crisp edge to them, but still a full, rich sound. I use a Trace Elliot Speed Twin amp, which is not exactly a death metal amp to start with, but with this axe my sound is really beefed up, which I love. I play mainly rhythm and vocals, so the bassiness sounds great. I've had no problems with feedbacking either, strangely, as I play loud in small rooms. The only gripe I have is that, like all highpower pickups, the clean sound leaves something to be desired. Then again, I wasn't looking for any pussy-ass acoustic sounds, I wanted as much distort as I could get, and then some :P... Can you tell I like this guitar yet? // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't had any problems with it so far and haven't had to change any action or anything, it came nice and low as I like it. The black finish is nice, but I wish it had chrome hardware instead of the boring black. Oh well, it's not a big thing, and that can wait till the Gibson SG turns up... // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are coming loose, but that could be due to my prancing around onstage. Apart from that, it's fine. I wouldnt gig it without backup, but thats cos I'm not a risk taker (bad memories of strings snapping at bad times). Apart from that, it's all good. // 8

Overall Impression: I personally love this guitar, but I can see why other people may not like it. The clean sound in particular is quite flat and the powerful pickups knock the amp into overdrive unless you play very quietly. If it was stolen, I probably wouldn't buy another, but that's 'cos I want to move up to a higher level axe (Gibson SG Standard or a LP methinks). I've been playing about two years, so hopefully I know what I'm on about. This isn't a classic axe, and it doesn't do anything unusual, but for what it's built for (grinding overdriven stoner rock or sludge metal) it's great, and it's certainly changed my view on signature guitars. // 8

Tony Iommi SG Custom Reviewed by: Spearhead, on december 15, 2006

Purchased from: eBay brand new

Features: Where do I start this thing is just a beaty, combined with my metal muff, it even makes my crappy Marshall MG squeal. Anyway back on topic. It was made in Korea. It has a 24 fret rosewood fretboard. It has medium frets. This beast consists of black paint and hardware (chrome I think). It has a double cutaway body. It's got a tune o matic bridge. It has passive signature USA Iommi humbuckers. It always stays in tune for me, aint tuned it for 3 weeks, after playing 3 hours a day. Just shows you what groover tuners do. The picture above does not do it any justice, it make it look quite dull and with a mat finish compared to it's Gibson counterpart. In real life it's as glossy as the Gibson. // 10

Sound: I mainly play hard rock, and heavy metal such as sabbath. It's a dream to play. Although people say it's bad on cleans, I've played stairway to heaven and stuff, and yeah the pickups are powerful, but if your gental it's fine. All I can say anything with the slightest distortion it just owns anything else I've played. The bridge pickup gives that harsh, metal sound. But with the neck pickup with it's pup covers it can if you turn the tone knob down give a lovely mellow blues sound. I use a metal muff, for a proper Vintage metal sound, lovely and sexy sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The reason I got this guitar quite cheap of eBay was because it wasn't set up. But it only cost me 20 to get set up and this thing plays like a dream compared to the G-400S and Les Pauls I played in the shop. Its neck is smooth and creamy, I also belive it's slightly thinner than other gibson/epiphone necks. But not so thin that it feels horrible. It's just the way I like them. But apart from the set up it was all very good, no sharp edges on the bridge or anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't really gig, but never had any problems in the last 6 months. I'm not a punk rocker so I don't ware my guitar at my waist and jump about. But the strap buttons seem solid. But if I gigged I would rely on it. Although me being who I am I wouldn't incase a string snapped. But that's not the fault of the guitar. The finish seems like it will last. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I absolute love this guitar. It's my dream. I've been playing for 4 years with a school teacher, but within the last 3 months I've had private lessons and started getting really serious. And this thing can shred, even if the Ibanez shred people said you can't shred on it, you can. I've tried, sucessfully. If this guitar was stolen, I woudl quite frankly kill the bastard Who pinched it. And would definately buy a new one. I just the vareiety in tone, from mellow creamy rich, to harsh metalish there's nothing I hate about this guitar, even the strap button is well placed, which is the floor of most other SGs, it's not as neck heavy as others. I don't like trems, especially floyd. Mainly because they distract me from my playing and seem to get in my way. Overall a very (SG) solid guitar. But I would go further than that, infact a supurb guitar. // 10

Tony Iommi SG Custom Reviewed by: Jaspafari, on september 05, 2011

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This guitar was made in June 2006 in the Unsung plant in Korea. It has 24 frets, 2 Iommi Gibson Humbuckers, mohogany SG body, ebony black finish, rosewood fretboard with cross inlays. Locktone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, all black chrome hardware. 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls, 3-way pickup switch. // 9

Sound: These pickups have a nice clean sound, even with a lot of distortion k which I really like, the neck pickups has a nice smooth sound for playing clean. You can get a lot of different sound with this guitar, and I dare say there is something with these pickups which makes them ideal for harmonics. This guitar has Gibson pickups, which I guess are worth when new more than what I paid for the guitar itself, so this was really a bargain, en the pickups just sound brutal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: In all, this guitar was set-up just fine, as it came from my friend. The only thing wrong with is, is that there is a loose contact somewhere in the electronics, I affects the pickup switch, if I want to switch between the pickups, I may have to put the switch up and down again for maybe 5 times before in actually switches, which isn't that great if you want to use both pickups at a gig. As long as only 1 pickup is used you can avoid this ofcourse. Another thing I guess is related to this, is that in th efirst year I had this guitar, occasionnaly the sound would fall away (had this maybe 8 times), but this hasn't occured for at least a year, so I guess it resolved itself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could handle a lot of abuse, although, I would surely bring a backup on a gig, for the reason mentioned above, just in case. Overall, it is in good shape, except for a little rust on the screws. // 7

Overall Impression: Ideal for metal or heavier stuff. I got this guitar for 2 years and I play it every day. For the price I paid, this guitar is excellent. There is the Gibson version of this guitar, but I think this is the better bargain, as this has the same Gibson pickups. In my opinion, great guitar. // 8

Tony Iommi SG Custom Reviewed by: Manodiver, on november 19, 2016

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: This review is for the 2015 Epiphone Tony Iommi SG. The neck is a Slim taper D profile and smooth as glass with only one rough fret edge. It has 24 frets and a luscious ebony fingerboard. Solid Top mahogany body and mahogany neck. Ebony (black) in color. SG Body Style. The bridge is a tune-o-matic ans the pickups are Gibson Tony Iommi humbuckers. It has a 3-way switch and non-locking tuners that are chrome with the familiar kidney bean shape.The nut is an upgraded graphite type. The guitar came with a case and a a signed certificate from Tony Iommi. This edition supposedly limited to 2,000 guitars world-wide. // 9

Sound: I mostly play blues and the guitar sounds pretty good clean and also with a bit of gain. I'm very used to the Fender C shape protocol, so I'm having to make some adjustments to get used to the D slim taper. The strings feel like 9-42's and I usually play with 10-46's, but for now I'm going to stay with the 9's. But recently I've been re-exploring my love of the older Black Sabbath music which was lead me to this guitar. And this guitar fulfills that sound very well! (I saw the Gibson version in a YouTube video, but am not going to be able to afford that!) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This was a used guitar, so I can't speak for condition right out of the warehouse, but I'd be surprised if this one had much play time. No fret wear, action is low and other than one tiny scratch (< 1" and not through the paint) on the back, I can't find a single defect other than the previously mentioned somewhat sharp fret edge. I can solve that in about 5 minutes. When I first saw the street price of these at $799 my thought was "that's too much for an Epiphone." But a guitar is really the sum of all of it's parts and Epiphone went full-meal-deal on this one. I absolutely LOVE the ebony fingerboard. The guitar is indeed classy looking and I'm very happy with this purchase. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels like absolute quality so I'm sure it will withstand live play. Hardware and strap buttons feel like quality as well. I can't speak for the pot's at this time because I haven't been inside the cavity, but they are not scratchy and seem to work well as you adjust incrementally so they may be better quality as well over the standard crap they put in Asian made cheaper guitars. Finish looks like it'll hold up just fine. I read what type it was but have forgotten. I don't think it's the same finish that Gibson uses though. // 9

Overall Impression: I still prefer my upgraded Strat' for the blues, but for hard rock this guitar has got exactly what it needs in the tone department and feels really nice in my hands. For modern day metal I can't say because I don't play it. But I'm guessing it would cover a good deal of it. These pickups are pretty hot. I've only been playing for slightly over 3 years and at this point I don't gig, but hope to in another year or two. If it was lost or stolen, I'd certainly keep my eyes open for another good deal to try to replace it. I'm not sure I'd pay $799 without a case, but as I said before, this is a really upgraded model. And it's a limited edition so when the sad day comes that the Father of Metal leaves us, I'm guessing that the value will possibly increase.

I don't "hate" anything about it, and really like everything about this guitar. It's a keeper for sure! I'm not really a gear snob and don't care what name is on the head-stock. I have a couple Squiers that are extremely good guitars. So from my standpoint, I'd rather have an Epiphone with all of these upgrades then a plain-Jane Gibson at a similar or higher price. I recommend it it highly! (Now back to those soothing POWER CHORDS!) // 9

Comments