Tribute Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Tribute Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: All Music Inc.

The humbucker's and coil taps combined can give me a wide range of sounds. I play anything and everything. With this guitar I have played classic rock, electric blues, electric bob dylan folk, sublime stoner-music, heavy metal and even Lady GaGa. I even do heavy slide riffs on it. It can follow along with any of it beautifully. As a practice amp I have a simple Fender champ. When I gig I usuallu borrow my friend's Crate amp, and I am shopping for a Vox VT100 amplifier. It sounds good with all of them. The effects I use are generally overdrive, wah, uni-vibe, gain, distortion, all the good stuff. I play on every possible setting with them. Some sound better than others but none really dissappoint. The sound is fat and fairly clean just like all les pauls with the added kick from the 57 pickups. It has a massive variety and I can't see a need for another guitar any time soon.

This guitar is actually the love of my life. It does anything I tell it to do. It's the only guitar I can sweep-pick on, but it sounds great when I do. I have been playing guitar for a bout 3 years but I have been playing music for 7 years. If it were stolen or lost I would either buy this guitar again (but in black next time) or I would buy a cheap knock-off and rig it to have the same electronics and just work on it until it fit my specifications. I chose this guitar over the Telecaster it was competing with because it was so much fuller and more versatile, even though it was almost double the cost and money has never been abundant for me. The only thing I wish it had was a goldtop finish, but I've never seen an Epiphone with one so maybe I am indulging in useless fantasy. Overall this guitar has everything I really need. I see myself playing it for a long time.

This guitar is solid. And heavy. It is a lot to lug around but I can feel that its tough. Its taken a few hits from idiots leaving it in bad places or cases falling off tables but it's still going strong. Because of the person I am I would never only take a single guitar to a gig. I always have a backup Acoustic and maybe even my old Strat sometimes. The finish is heavy and it hasn't faded yet but I really can't say for the future.

When I got the guitar it was set up perfectly. I found no flaws and no imperfections. The only thing I've done to this guitar since purchase is get some new strings on it. No complaints at all.

The "Tribute" LP is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with some differentiations that make it distinctive. It 22 Medium-Jumbo Frets and two different available neck profiles. It has the Standard Les Paul asymmetrical neck, or the 1960's SlimTaper neck which to me is much more comfortable then any other Gibson-Epiphone neck. Everything else on this guitar is fairly Standard except for a few extra features. The pickups are beautiful remakes of '57 PAF Les Paul pickups and they really kick. My guitar plays circles around my friends' schecter, ESPs and Strats. It also has coil taps in the tone knobs which chnages the humbucker's sound into a thinner cross between a single coil and a P90. The final twist is a set of grover locking tuners that really do excellent work. The guitar came with a hardshell case and a warranty card which I forgot to fill out. I really have no complaints for this guitar's features, everything does its job the way I need it to.

corruption270
    This is not the greatest guitar in the world. This is just a tribute. Sounds pretty good though, might try and get one in the near future...
    Linkerman
    Much2Groove
    My guitar teacher has a Gibson SG Studio, and I have this Epi Tribute. He likes my guitar better than his - says it sounds better, etc, and wants to get one. He's a Berkely grad, and an excellent player. (Really nice guy, too.)
    OffshoreClown
    I own this guitar, i love the slim neck and the pick ups are awsome! i've only been playing about 7 months and have only owned this guitar for about 5 of them, so i couldn't review it. But personally i love it, it handles rock and metal really well (like avenged sevenfold, trivium, BFMV and etc) but also does the clean sounds very well. Not to mention through my amp i can get amaazing Joe Satriani style sounds, it's great to play xD
    IndianScout
    I own the 1960 tribute, it kicks the crap out of my vintage mahogany gibson.. the VM has become a case queen now since I got my tribute
    will42
    i was aware of that but the 1960 slimtaper neck is the only gibson-epiphone neck that i can play comfortably. so it really was the only choice
    Seref
    For the same price you might be able to snag a Gibson Studio (most def. not a Custom, don't know what you're smoking), but honestly the LP Studios are kind of hit-and-miss with their quality. The higher end Epis tend to be the smarter choice over the low end Gibsons. Gibson Studios have always been pretty meh guitars. About the same attention to quality as a midrange Epi but with another $200 added on because it says "Gibson" on the headstock.
    EdguyRule_22
    Man there is a lot of spam in these comments! Wonder if it sounds better than my Epi LP Custom.
    SilverRock113
    EpiExplorer wrote: All well and good but... whats it a tribute to?
    ... did you really just ask that question? troll...
    r0ckth3d34n
    EpiExplorer wrote: All well and good but... whats it a tribute to?
    You fail. You never have anything constructive to say about these reviews unless it's something you like. Honestly, don't even post anything.
    billyydg
    cobracarg wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: All well and good but... whats it a tribute to? dude... did you really ask that question?
    Dude, you have to look at who you're talking to though.. The biggest dick on UG.
    paquiquinho
    Sorry, not even then...
    Swannie
    DBguitar11 wrote: thejester wrote: DBguitar11 wrote: thejester wrote: thats a lot of dough for an epiphone. damn. glad you are happy but people just get the real deal for marginally more different. hell you can basically get a gibson custom for $700. hello alpine white w/ gold hardware studio les paul used on craigs list. has the ebony fretboard, same pickups, just not all the binding but for sake of argument same guitar as a gibson custom. Maybe a gibson custom that has been set on fire... ya no not really. close enough. i honestly could not justify an extra $3k for binding and a coa. im an avid gibson fan by the way too but they are out of their minds. That is very true
    agreed, you'd think the custom would have much better pickups than the studio...
    BrokenDstring
    If I read my Sweetwater ProGear catalog correctly, this is a tribute to the Les Pauls of the 1960's. Anyways it cracks me up the way the user votes are always ridiculously low. Good review anywho. me and my brotha kyle here, we was hitch hikin' down a long and lonesome road...
    DBguitar11
    That is very true
    thejester
    DBguitar11
    Maybe a gibson custom that has been set on fire...
    cobracarg
    EpiExplorer wrote: All well and good but... whats it a tribute to?
    dude... did you really ask that question?
    schirripar
    Linkerman wrote: corruption270 wrote: This is not the greatest guitar in the world. This is just a tribute. And the peculiar thing is this my friends: the guitar we played on that fateful night it didn't actually sound anything like this guitar. This is just a tribute! You gotta believe me! And I wish you were there! Just a matter of opinion.
    made me lol so hard
    everjump
    LOL
    thejester
    Shawn Galea
    Linkerman : corruption270 wrote: This is not the greatest guitar in the world. This is just a tribute. And the peculiar thing is this my friends: the guitar we played on that fateful night it didn't actually sound anything like this guitar. This is just a tribute! You gotta believe me! And I wish you were there! Just a matter of opinion.
    looool good one! lool good one guys!
    dynastywest69
    Lol awesome!
    EpiExplorer
    -xCaMRocKx- wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: All well and good but... whats it a tribute to? Umm.. Gee I dunno, to Les Paul maybe!? The man died last year, it was only a matter of time before Gibson/Epiphone tried to make some money out of it.
    Pretty pathetic job really, should've done an actual Les Paul Sig replica or something, rather than just a plain sunburst thingy. R.I.P
    -xCaMRocKx-