Vintage G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Vintage G-400

Purchased from: GAK

I play a lot of hard rock i.e. AC/DC, RATM, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Hendrix. It copes very well woth which ever style or sound I am tryin to recreate. I use it through a Boss DS1 dostortion pedal and chorus pedal. Running through a Vox Venue 50watt amp. The only thing is sometimes on the really high fidley stuff sometimes it squeeks a bit but only rarely and is easily cured with a better quality pickup. But for the most part I love the sound of this guitar.

I love this guitar. I got it originally because I was an intermediate player with not a huge budget to play with. This was the best I could find after doing lots of reserch. If it was lost or stolen I would definately buy another one. I still play it today and it is very sexy guitar and lives up to its looks. When looking for a guitar I compared this to the Fender Standard Strat, and the Custom Epiphone SG and also the PRS Santana SE but that was 100 over budget.

Very reliable. Only gigged it once though in a small venue and it was superb. Strap buttons very sucure in my experience. I always have a backup at a gig but that's just me. I would probably trust it without one tho. Having only owned it a year or so and now only get to play it like an hour or 2 a day max the finish is still pretty much perfect. I think it will last though.

Had to do a bit of tweaking when I first got the guitar and put some new strings on but thats just due to personal preferance. Also having never never used a Tune-O-Matic bridge before took a few attempts to get it how I wanted. The guitar body will chip if you are too rough and bash it on stuff but generally quite tough. Again the factory setup was very good but you may want to lift up the bridge humbucker or do other little tweaks yourself just to your taste. The only other thing is that the jack plug on the front the nut came came loose and came off. I found it tho luckily and I don't know if it was this one off or not but just something to be wary of.

I have a 2004 model in worn brown finish, Made in korea. 22 frets with a satin finish makes it very nice to play. Easy to get used to. Tune-O-Matic bridge, 4 knobs 2 volume and 2 tone (1 for each humbucker) and 1 selector Switch. Standard pickups.