Vintage G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Vintage G-400

Purchased from: thomann

My style is punk, rock and metal. The strings provided were ok, but I changed them for a lower guage. Right now cause I'm at school I'm using it with a crappy BB Blaster-10 watt amp. Surprisingly the guitar has awesome bite, with such a rubbish amp. The guitar has a bright sound but not with much tonal options. With distortion it sounds awesome.

This guitar is a perfect match for my style of music, I've always wanted an SG guitar, they just look so killer. I've only being playing for a year, so I've got a lot to learn. But out of the three guitars I've got, Vintage Metal Axxe, Epiphone Les Pauls Custom and Epiphone Vintage G-400 this guitar has to be my favourite, the custom woos the girls, the Axxe scares the head bangers but the SG rocks the rockers, that's what I like about it. If it got stolen I would definitely get a new one. The only thing I wish it had was a sunburst paint job like the deluxe.

This guitar will withstand live playing, it feels solid and has good build quality. I'm not sure how long the chromed hardware finish will last, it doesn]t seem to be a cheap finish so I think it will last a while. The strap buttons are pretty solid had no trouble with them so far.

The action is alright, just a tad too high. The pickups were pretty well adjusted nothing that caused any concern. The guitar was pretty much in perfect condition, finish was fine, body was fine, the only thing that surprised me was that the guitar arrived with a neon orange pickup selector Switch, so I just took one of my other guitars and replaced it.

I've had the guitar since Christmas, and it's great. Rosewood neck, with 22 frets. The neck and frets are quite fat, so I wouldn't recommend this guitar to any one with small fingers, but as I've got large hands so its ok for me. It has a solid top, nothing flashy, subdued worn brown colour, however in the sun or strong light it looks killer, you can really pick out the grain of the wood. It has a nice clean finish that's what's important. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and stays in tune with hard playing and when its been left alone for monthes. 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, with a 3-way selector. The pickups are Epiphone USA, Alnico classic magnets, double vacuum waxed with enamel wire. All the hardware was chromed out, nice feature. It came with a few tools and a cable.