Vintage G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Vintage G-400

Purchased from: Fromager Music

I play it through a Fender De Ville 212 amp, and it sounds lovely. You can get pretty much every genre of music out of this guitar. I play many different styles (rock, metal, shred, punk, etc) and it all works with this guitar. The neck pickup has a great sound for lead, it can cut through anything. The bridge pickup is very muddy/bassy, and is good for rhythm. It sounds lovely when playing unplugged, for people Who don't always like to use an amp.

I play pretty much every kind of rock out there, and this is perfect for it. I've been playing for about 6 years (I'm only 14). I only 2 Fender Strats, a Washburn G-IV, a Les Paul knock-off, and some other no-name guitars, and I like this SG over all of them. After playing this, I can't stand playing Fenders. Their necks just aren't nearly as smooth, and the sound isn't full enough. If it were stolen, I would either buy this back, or buy an Epi Les Paul Custom, since I know Epiphone's are good now. I love the look and feel of this guitar. I can't name one thing I hate about this guitar. My favourite feature would have to be the toggle Switch, since it can be used as a killswitch. It helped me develop my own style. When looking for a guitar, I compared it to some Fender Teles, and a Gibson SG Special. This guitar blew those two out of the way. I'm glad I bought this over them. The only thing I wish it had was a Floyd Rose, or a Maestro tremolo, but I can Live fine with out.

I have played Live with this guitar, and it's great. Afterwards, I have had guitarist come up to me and ask how I got an Epiphone to sound so good. The truth is, I don't know how I got an Epiphone to sound so good. If this guitar had no headstock, I'd swear it was a Gibson. I would play Live without a backup, even though I need other guitars for Alt. tunings. The finish doesn't seem like it could wear off. Even if it does, it will only add to that "Vintage" look. The strap buttons on the guitar need strap locks. I got some for pretty cheap. The hardware doesn't seem like it'll need replacing. The stop piece falls off when I remove strings, but once you put strings back on, it's not gonna come off.

The guitar came set up perfectly for my liking. The action was low, but not so low you get some bad fret buzz. There was absolutely no flaws in the guitar when I got it, except for the finish. the finish is very smooth, but there is a few places where it is rough. In the bottom cut-away, it is rough, feel like it wasn't sanded well. On the 15th fret, there was what looked like to be a clump of paint, that was very rough. It made bends hard to do, but I removed my strings and cleaned it all off and it's good now.

Mine was made in 2007, not sure where. It has 22 frets, and a not so thin but not so thick neck, with a rosewood fretboard. Mahogany body, with a mahogany set neck. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and grover tuners. It has the very beautiful SG body (very easy to access upper frets), with a natural finsh. The finish is very smooth, and rough in only some parts. The chrome hardware goes very well with the finish. The guitar comes with 2-Alnico V humbuckers, which sound great. There is 2 volume knobs, and two tone knobs, top hat style. The 3-way toggle switch can be used as a killswitch, a feature I really like. I managed to bargain a hardshell case for free with mine.

Ali-b912
    angusyoung_sg wrote: oh ya and my truss rod cover says SG on it instead of GIBSON. witch i have researched and it seem that only the gibson SG's say that on the truss rod cover. and also i opend up the back the other day and after looking closely i noticed that the tone/volume/input jack all say Gibson on them. anlso my price was in Canadian Dollars being as i am from Canada
    ur full of shit. all the parts say gibson on them on epiphones. its like how a chevy has GM parts. your guitar was not made in nashville. why would the gibson, not say gibson? and my brothers g400 says SG there and was made in korea. it says in big letters made in korea. also it has 2 alnico humbuckers not a hot-b (whatever the hell that is) or a 57' classic, and angus's signature sg doesnt have 57' classics, it has the angus pickups. also angus hates his signature model anyway. also you make the tune-o-matic sound amazingly special even tho its the most basic bridge design possible and is on just about every gibson or epiphone. and you dont operate the bridge, it holds the strings, its not an active component of playing.