Vintage G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Vintage G-400

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

I play a lot of different styles but in every guitar I own I look for a high output bridge pickup with a lot of bite and a smooth clean sound from the neck pickup. I pretty much get this from this guitar and while the pick ups aren't great they are pretty good for stock. This thing probably won't satisfied metal heads but it's more of a classic rock machine anyway. The volume and tone pots are smooth and provide a good amount of turn resistance. Also, you don't get any crackling sounds when adjusting the volume or tone so thats good. I'm probably going to gut this whole thing but I don't have to. For stock I'd give the thing an 8 just because it's good but not perfect.

I play mostly punk and pop punk and am in a punk band at the moment. This is definitely a good match for my style of music. The pickups have the right amount of output and the guitar is so comfortable to play that I can perform lead passages almost effortlessly now. If this was lost or stolen I would try and pick a new one up if I had the resources. I love everything about this thing although it leaves me longing for a nicer set of pups but all guitars do that. I think this is the best guitar in it's price range if you can set it up properly. A great SG at a working guitar players price. It gets a 10 here.

This guitar will definitely be a gigging instrument for me. It is very light and comfortable to play. All the hardware is solid including the strap buttons. I would never go to a serious gig without a back up regardless of how good my main guitar is. Because of how light it is I would expect it wouldn't do well if it fell quite a distance, but I really shouldn't speculate. And last but not least the finish is GORGEOUS and appears as if it will last. It's faded already so how much more could happen? The guitar gets a 9 here since I haven't had enough experience with it to comment on the guitars durability from a structural standpoint in regards to the wood.

I did get this thing second hand. So I assume that the person who owned it adjusted the action. From what I can see it wasn't owned long (still had plastic on the backplate) so I don't imagine that much else was done. The action was perfect but I can't assume that was from factory. Other than that the pickups were put in and adjusted to factory Standard height. The guitar had no flaws other than a little buckle rash on the back but that was from the previous owner, and everything really was nice. The nut snagged a bit but almost all guitars do that. And other than that it was great. I'm going to give this section an eight because I have to be precautionary since I got it second hand and can't assume the action was factory. I'll give it another eight here to be conservative.

This guitar is made in Japan and I believe it is a 2008 model. The body and neck are made of mahogany. There are 22 frets on this guitar's rosewood fretboard. The finish is absolutely beautiful and makes the back of the neck feel super smooth on the playing hand. The bridge is a tune-o matic bridge paired with a stopbar tailpiece and all the parts are chrome plated. The electronic are passive and the guitar comes with Alnico V humbuckers each of which has it's own volume and tone control. There really is no reason not to give this guitar a perfect score for features considering it has everything you would expect from an SG. It is what it is.

sstony
    Fighting over an Epiphone guitars specs.....got to love it. Buy an original !!!!!
    Vabolo
    I like how the spam on this comment page is less annoying than the comments themselves.
    fret13
    I've had this model for 5 years. It's alright. After a few years, my pick ups definitely don't sound as good as i remember them to and the knobs have come loose, causing me to sometimes have to manually open the back of the guitar and tweak some wires just to get it to play. On the other hand, it's been 5 years, and I've yet to buy another guitar although I think the time is quickly approaching.
    maximumrocker
    Daysleeper_05
    The finish on this mother is gorgeous. When I walked into a guitar store for the first time looking to buy an electric guitar, this was the one I chose. I knew nothing about guitars then and went almost solely based on look and price. 5 years later, I have not regretted my decision. Sure, it doesn't have the best hardware and the neck is a bit flimsy (got a crack in it when I moved overseas), but it plays well, and it's too good-looking to get rid of.
    fret13
    maximumrocker wrote: ^ i have had an Sg400 for about 4 years. The guitar is pretty good. a few problems with it down the road. i needed to re-do the intonation, which was partly my fault when i switched the strings i played with the knobs on the saddles (i was a noob back than). the tuners started becoming loose, and the pick ups are not that good. since i play a lot of progressive metal on electric guitar, as well as getting a couple new guitars down the road. i haven't really check it out again playing bluesy stuff.
    Seems like you have the same problems I've been facing. If I had the money, I'd get a new guitar.
    Marley Tokunaga
    mrsi wrote: can epiphone not make an original guitar, all they do is copy off gibson
    I think the wilshire is theirs too
    Epirechaun694
    I have had this guitar for about 2 years and I do not regret buying this at all. It is perfect for the blues/classic rock/hard rock that I play and the neck is the most comfortable neck I have played aside from a Gibson LP traditional pro. I switched out the pu's about a year ago with Slash signatures because I though the stock pu's sounded too bassy for me, and so far I'm loving the sound I get. This is a great guitar, I'm keeping this one forever.