Wildkat review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Wildkat

Well I like to play a lot of "arena" rock, from the early 70's. I.e. Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. However I had no idea that this guitar could be as versitile as it is, punk, grunge, alternative. Your tallent, and imagination, is it's only limit! Take my word for it, this guitar can "growel" like a bear, and "screech" like an eagle! The amp that I have is the Line 6, Spider III, 30. And with this guitar, "clean", is the way to go.

The style of music I play, like most musicians, is constantly evolving. And for the genres of music that I play, this Epiphone Wildkat keeps up with me quite well. Before I bought this one, I tried out several other versions of this guitar. I.e., Gretch, Guild, Ibanez etc. And as for versility, in my opinion, the Wildkat has them all beat! Though I kind of wish it had a pick-guard. Yet playing without one, has forced me to play with more finese', which I'm actually using to my advantage. If this guitar was ever lost. Well, that's one thing. If it were ever stolin? I would hunt down the person who "stole" it, and take it back! This guitar totally "rocks", in all ways, shapes, and forms. So if your looking for a new guitar, definately give the Epiphone Wildkat a serious audition. And as always, rock on!

Unlike the Wildkat with the "Tiger finish and the gold hardware", this, (and the other "transparent" finished Wildkats), keeps it's durability (it's finish does'nt wear away). It's construction is made to last. Dependability? No worries there at all. Reliability? Well put it this way. Nothing about this guitar has ever let me down. I have never even concidered bringing a "back-up" with me when I go out to jam! In other words. I'll bet my last dollar on this guitar. And win!

As far as the factory "set-up"? Well, what can I say? It was set up by Epiphone's own, "Custom Shop". The "set-up" was outstanding! The action is set low, and, (due to it's fret scale)(and it's hollowbody construction), it's supposed to be. Play it, and you'll understand why. The only flaw that I've found, is a slight "overlap" of black paint on the Bigsby trem. Otherwise, everything was sensational!

Well the 2006 Epiphone Wildkat that I proudly own, was made in Korea. However, it was assembled in the Epiphone Factory's "Custom Shop", right here in the "good old" U.S.A. The neck of this axe is made of maple. And rideing on it's top, is a 22(jumbo)fret, 24.75" scale, ebonized Rosewood, Dot inlay fretboard. It's hollowbody "single cut-away" Archtop construction (which is slightly larger than a Les Paul), has a maple top, complete with elongated "F" holes. It's sides and back have a unique, "multible-slab", Mahogany construction concept employed unto it. The finish of this one is Transparent Orange, with the thickest coat of polyurethane that I've ever seen, or felt, on a guitar. On to the hardware. All chrome. Two Alnico V-P 90 pick-up's, and a heavy duty Bigsby Tremolo with a (permanantly) mounted swing arm. The machine heads are non-locking Grovers, which reside on a classic, 1950's headstock! This beast has one master volume, two sub-volumes, and one tone control, along with it's three-way switch. Added note "no pick guard at all"!

ROCKABILLY RICK
    i looked for months for the perfect guitar, and kept coming back to this beauty..I finally coughed up the money and bought it at Musicians Friend for about $400 and fell in love immediately with this baby! I can't begin to tell you how beautiful the finish is on it, set off by the chrome Bigsby, (got the natural finish model)...The pictures don't do it justice, and the thing plays like an angels harp...get yourself one!
    yami42n8
    I have one of these and LOVE it ! Have had it for must be 5 years now and never needed to adjust anything. I just dropped it off at a local luthier for a little TLC. I imagine there are a couple adjustments they can make given it is 5 years old and I've really put it through some paces. I bend the neck and use the vibrato at the same time and get some wicked sounds. So, given 5 years of daily play I thought I'd have a professional have a look and just make sure everything is tip top. I play it straight through my Fender tube amp and it just has a fantastic sound. As for the strength and construction I give it 5 stars. I've knocked it over, dropped it out of the truck and there are still no dents or scratches. A really fantastic guitar that I always come back to after I've tried a friends Les or Strat. I don't play Heavy Metal so I've never really missed that sound that apparently this guitar cannot make but again I don't try so I can't offer any advice as to that. Oh yeah, and I do tend to yank it when I play and it always holds up, barely ever goes out of tune and is overall my favorite guitar I've ever owned. If you can find one give it a try and it will treat you to warm sounding fantasticness for a very long time. Peace and Love, p
    FreekBos
    I own the wildkat royale for a month or two by now. And I don't really know what to think of it. It looks absolutely fantastic. But I modified the guitar already. The first thing I did was the wiring. The wildkat royale has some red and blue wiring running through the body which is very poorly fixed to the inside with some metal strip glued to the body. After two days the metal strip let go shoing the ugly wiring even more. So I painted the wires black. Great improvement! Next I replaced the volume and tone knobs to knobs that have more grip to my fingers. The originals are to smooth. But the most annoying thing about the wildkat was the nut beeing glued to much to the high e string. (Glued off center) So everytime i did a pull-off on the high e string, the string falls off the edge of the neck. So I reglued the nut and plays a lot better. Overall a pairly good guitar.
    bluesonthelake
    I had a small music store try to sell me a Wildkat for $800. He claimed that it was a special edition model only available to small dealers. Is this true or is this guy a not being honest? This "L.E." model appears to be no different that the advertised standard Epiphone Wildkat.
    thanielvsnate
    Amen, i have never heard a hollow bodied guitar made for metal, and i have only heard maybe 12 to 15 metal style guitars made for blues, plus, ibanez isnt that great of a metal guitar anywayz. dont get me wrong, im not just tryin to knock ibanez guitars down below their standards, but to me they are just cheap imitations of jacksons and epiphones, the metal ones are especially, the only ibanez i like it the steve vai signature.
    thanielvsnate
    richard_edwards wrote: I_Ibanez wrote: I think the guitar looks ugly lol. I like the look of Ibanez guitars better, like the MTM2, RGR421EXFM, RG120, JS100. Stuff like that. Seems like this guitar won't be great for heavy metal, but i would love to play one of these, not own one though. you just dont compare a guitar made for blues, to one thats a signature model for someone out of slipknot! theyre completly different!
    RockabillyGlenn
    I bought one of these last year, but it sounds awful - I'm going to give it a setup, new strings etc in the hope of a dramatic improvement. As it is, it's way too muddy even with the bass rolled right off on the amp and max treble. All the review sites rave about this guitar, but I know of one or two other dud examples. Maybe the later, Chinese - built ones, as mine is, use cheaper, inferior electronics. I'll update after I've worked on it.....
    OAR
    The current ones will be so good like older ones?. I near to buy this guitar, but the remarks of the players are about guitars bought three or four years ago and i dont know if they are keeping the same quality. Thanks for your posts.
    Tommy Lightning
    I have a Flamekat and that baby can play. They are pretty much the same other than the New York pickups in the Flamekat and the p-90s in the Wildkat.
    Kurt1964
    Strat132 wrote: do they hav this guitar in other colors?
    YES THEY DO. TRANSPARENT ORANGE, TRANS BLUE(TURQUOISE), TRANS TIGER(GOLD/YELLOW W/GOLD HARDWARE), TRANS PURPLE, AND NATURAL.
    Disturbdkornkid
    I agree with I_Ibanez that the colour looks ugly, but if it was any other coloud I would be on that like butter on toast.
    richard_edwards
    I_Ibanez
    DaddyLove
    Still waiting for mine. I bought it for $299 from American Music Supply to use as a second guitar that I can keep tuned for slide. I'll let y'all know how it goes.