Wilshire review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Wilshire

Purchased from: online

This is a pretty simple utilitarian guitar. It's made from several pieces of mahogany and has a glued in neck with a rosewood fretboard and some nice attractive looking inlays. Two mini humbuckers, 6 on a side tuners, very cool batwing headstock, 4 push/pull coil splitting t and v knobs a three way toggle switch and a 3 ply pickguard. It should meet the needs of most guitarists. The coil splitting is an awesome feature and allows the player to get a variety of sounds from this guitar. This is what stood out to me most. Other than that everything is relatively simple but great at what it does. And to top it all off this is one sexy beast of a guitar.

For what it is, this is a lovely sounding guitar. The clean sound is smooth, rich, warm and dark which I love, but can get bright and twangy (almost reminiscent of a strat) when you pull up on the knobs. Great lead sound but maybe a bit trebley at times. When you get some distortion on, this guitar kicks ass big time. It's got a classic thick humbucker crunch perfect for meaty rhythm guitar and offers a nice crunchy lead too. I play mainly classic rock and alt rock, some grunge too, and find it suits my needs very well. It reminds me of early Led Zeppelin. It's probably not the best for shredding or super fast playing though. It's perfect for garage rock.

My guitar was just fine. When I got it it was in good condition as expected though as I got to know it more I lowered the action and put some better, lighter gauge strings on. I did notice that there was some plastic wrap stuck under the knobs that I had to yank out and I don't know what was up with that. Other than that, when it came to me, nothing was wrong. I know a lot of people have reported getting real crappy Wilshires and given this a low rating. So I get the feeling the quality is inconsistent with these guitars and I just got lucky.

My Wilshire has held up nicely because I treat it well. I'm not rough with it at all though I do strum pretty hard am glad to say it holds tuning well despite my heavy strumming. I don't think this is the most durable guitar though. I've noticed that the knobs and jack are a bit loose and I often end up tightening them up. The toggle switch is starting to get a bit rattly too (just a bit though). The strap buttons are solid as hell and the finish scraping off is not an issue as the pick guard prevents that nicely. I don't do gigs yet but I will certainly want a backup when I start because I know this guitar is on the cheaper end of the spectrum and isn't as sturdy as saaay a nice solid SG or something. That being said I know people who do gig with Wilshires and they haven't had much trouble with theirs so this guitar can be used live. I would always want a backup though.

Over all this is an awesome guitar and for the price it just can't be beat. It was my first electric and the only electric I own so it really is my baby and I could have some bias because of that. I have been playing for 8 years and do mostly classic rock and I think the Wilshire is totally suited for that genre. If it was stolen or lost I would buy another for sure. I compare it to every guitar I play and find that I often prefer it to guitars that are technically supposed to be better. Example: I played someone else's customized Fender Strat once and somehow still preferred my Wilshire's sound. I think a lot of people who own this guitar will agree that once you really learn to maximize the features it has to offer and get to know it, you'll find yourself really weirdly attached. I think what I love most is that despite the fact that this really is a fantastic guitar, not many people have Wilshires. I can feel like it's kind of my own. The reason I got this (aside from the fact that I was on a budget) and not a Squier Strat was because practically everyone I know has Squier Strats. I wanted something unique to call my own. It's got a wide array of sounds to boast, a nice light weight (perfect for epic stage moves, though a bit heavy on the headstock) and devilish good looks to boot. Great instrument. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheaper guitar or just something unique and interesting.