Wilshire Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Wilshire Pro

Now once you get past the devilish good looks of this fine guitar, the fun part happens. You play it. I've played this guitar on quite a few different amps. Including a 30 watt peavey, 15 watt raven, a marshal and a Fender reverb. The coil-tapping is what really sells this guitar. You can easily go from playing Metallica to Jimmy Hendrix with one pull of the volume knob. This feature lets you Switch between double hum-bucking pick-ups to a single coil. So, you get an SG sound with the option to instantly get a stratty Vai sound. As well as the two tone and two volume controls, you can get many differant sounds out of this little guitar. No noise when using hum-buckers on any of the 3 positions and as you would expect from any single coil, you do get a slight buzz when splitting the pick-ups. It can feel a bit too bright on treble when using the hum-buckers. Real heavy distortion eventually just melts all your chords together as well. So I'd suggest new pick-ups for any really heavy music. Overall, I was really impressed with the range of the range of sounds that come from this guitar. On clean, with the coils-split and tone set just right, you have an Acoustic sound that could be worthy of a bonfire.

I've been playing for a few years now and this is my 4th guitar. I play alot of blues, classic rock, and some garage rock as well. Throw in some paramore and coheed to make the girlfriend happy and that about sums it up. This guitar wont be for everyone, but for 400 bucks you get a sexy guitar with alot of choices in tone. I give this guitar an overall of score of 8. No its not a $2,000 dollar Les Paul or American Standard but damn it if you wanna rock and have fun doing it. This guitar is for you.

This is a very light axe. Very thin as well. This doesn't exactly mean its cheap and breakable. It can feel like a toy at times because of its weight but when handling it you realize how sturdy it is. The set neck helps to relieve any concerns about its sturdiness. The coil-taps seem to be holding up pretty well after all these months and no issues with wiring or electronics. Strap buttons are just fine. Always need the strap locks just to be sure though. I'm sure some of you believe the choice of Alpine white wasn't the best, but its looking fine for now. And honestly. I can't wait for it to get that aged white look.

The guitar was set-up at GC before I bought it, and I was pretty happy with it. There is some fret buzz on the low e that I just can't seem to to get rid of. But all other aspects of the guitar seem fine. Nothing I'd call amazing though either. Only minor flaw is the tuning peg side of the headstock which is white meets the black. Doesn't look as clean as it could've been. Looks a bit harshly cut and binded. Thats a factory flaw though. tsk tsk.

Let me first start by saying this guitar is the newest of the Wilshire branded guitars. When I purchased it at GC, the tag said it was a Limited Ed. Pro series. I've done some research and the only major differences from this model and the earlier models are the new coil-tapping features. Now the specs. It's has a Mahogany neck, Mahogany body with Alnico ceramic pickups, 3 way pick up selector, 2 tone 2 volume controls, Rosewood fingerboard and a LockTone StopbarTune-O-matic tailpiece, Set neck, 22 frets, block inlays, SG style body. I'd use the word 'style' loosely because the cut-aways are very low even for an SG giving you excellent access to all 22 frets. Its also a very light guitar. I purchased mine in Alpine white and chrome hardware with the black batwing headstock. Made in China. In this area I'm going to the guitar an 8 out of 10. For the price it has alot of features, its really light, and it looks great.