Wilshire Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Wilshire Pro

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

The versitality of the sound of this thing is great. It's great for Alternative/Indie rock tones that are slightly distorted, to older bluesy hard rock tones to even nice clean, Beatles-esque tones. The Mahaghony body gives this thing lots of nice bass and mids and tons of sustain. I like to play a lot of shoegaze (think MBV) as this thing sounds great with lots of distortion or fuzz. And clean, with a little bit of reverb and/or delay I play a lot of ambient post-rock and dream pop stuff. Though there is no tremolo unit on this thing (I suppose you could install a Bigsby if you really wanted, but I think that would ruin the look) and I AM a guy who likes to use the bar, this thing is great for subtle neck dives.

I play mostly strats, but this is good for literally every genre of music I play and good if you want a guitar that feels as comfortable to play as a Strat with a thicker, beefier sound. It's not only great looking, but amazing sounding, and at $250, you'd be hard pressed to find a better guitar for the price. If stolen I definitely would replace.

I've gigged with this guitar multiple times. It's very light, can easily be transported, and is very versatile for any genre sound wise, so it's a good live guitar. The only problems I've run into when playing live were it going out of tune, and frequent string breakage on the high E. But like I said earlier, nothing a few string trees and filing couldn't fix. The finish is still in perfect shape thanks to the DiMarzio locking strap I've got on this thing which will make sure it won't going flying during a show.

The stock action was actually, near perfect. No problems with intonation or fret buzz out of the box. No sharp frets, and all the hardware felt properly fastened and secure. Finish was flawless; very stunning to look at. Only problem I had with it was the mysterious white build up/residue that was clogging the grooves of the rosewood fingerboard.

This is a 2010 Made in Korea Wilshire Pro in Aged Pelham (metallic-ish looking green). The two stock humbuckers are pretty thick sounding and work for a multitude of genres. I didn't care for the knobs that came with it so I swapped them out with some Strat-style black Fender knobs. It has two volumes (which are coil-tapping) and two tones. The neck is nice and thick for a nice thick sounding sustain. The rosewood fingerboard on mine had some white gunk in the pores of the wood that I had to get out with a toothbrush and lemon oil (still not quite sure what it was, though possibly debris from the manufacturing process. The tuners are vintage-style, and while they hold tune okay, could use a replacement. Biggest problem with keeping the thing in tune is that the strings aren't at a steep enough angle, so you might want to get some string trees or a retainer bar. The body is quite thin and comfortable, much like a strat. There is no huge neck heel, and the cutaway is very steep so you have full access to all 22 frets. The metallic looking green is pretty great -- much better than what you see in pictures online. And the pickguard is a nice sturdy, 3-ply white pickguard that looks fantastic against the metallic green finish. Tune-o-matic Bridge came set up with nicely with just the right action (not too high, not too low) and the 24.75 inch scale neck is very fast and plays quite nicely.