Worn G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Worn G-400

I play a range of styles, rock, classic rock, punk, pop, bluesy. This guitar can do it all. I play this axe through a Peavey Rage 158, and my effects pedal is a Korg Toneworks AX10G. The Bridge pickup can sometimes be a little muddy when I'm playing with distortion, but when playing clean the sound is crisp, but creamy. The neck pickup is really nice, and it has a really good warm sound to it. There is hardly any feeback, but there is a little from the Bridge pickup.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, but I only got into it seriously about a year and a half ago. I wish that I could have played an SG and gotten the feel of it before I got this, but I've grown to really like the feel of an SG. If this guitar was stolen, I would hunt down the arse who stole it beat them with a chainsaw. But if I couldn't find who stole it, I would buy it again, or I would save up for a Fender Telecaster 72 Deluxe, or a real Gibson. The thing I love most about this guitar is the body. It really is a unique body shape, and it just looks kick-a-s compared to everything else. I only wish that I had bought the G-400 re issue, because of the full pickguard. But all in all, this guitar is definitely worth it.

I would play this guitar live. It definitely has what it takes. The strap buttons are fairly good, and I've only ever once experience my strap coming off, but I'm sure that was a one off. I would use it without a backup at a gig easily.

When I first unpacked this guitar from it's box, I hated the thing. The action was way too high, the strings were heavy and hard, and the neck weighed the whole thing down if I was standing up with a strap. But I fixed the action, it's now alright. Being a previous Ibanez player, I think my expectations were too high, as the action on the Ibanez I was playing was VERY low. I think the pickups were fine when I got it, and there were no flaws at all on this guitar. Now it's so comfortable to play, and I actually like the fat neck. Yeah sure, it was a nuisance at first, but I grew to love it. The tuners are reasonably good too.

I got this guitar for my birthday this year, not sure what year it was made, perhaps 2009/2010. It has two volume, two tone and a 3-way toggle pickup selector. Worn cherry with solid mahogany body and neck, trapezoid inlays, humbucker pickups (twin Alnico Classic), Grover tuners, tune-o-matic bridge, and set neck. The pickguard is also a batwing, so not the full pickguard.

stevieod
    This is a guitar that is well worth the money. I have a 1972 Gibson SG and this one, both are great guitars. I truly don't believe the American craftmanship is any better on the current guitars than the Asian craftmanship. If the Americans don't like the Asian craftmanship, then go ahead and buy American. But it's like the difference between American cars and the Asian cars, the Asians design and build better cars than the Americans. As far as I am concerned, the faded G400 guitars being built by Epiphone are just as good as the faded American SGs, the Asian SGs even have Alnico V pickups. The American SGs don't have the Lock Tone hardware, and the Epiphone has Grover tuners and not the Klusons that the Gibson has, so you tell me which guitar is better built. Take a look at the $599 SGs that Gibson is making now and compare them to the $299 Epiphones. Unless you are a 'buy American' wingnut, you will probably buy the Epiphone.
    Most_Triumphant
    Jimmy669 wrote: Why don't you SAVE some money and purchase an American made SG and keep a fellow American working.
    I'm sure a 13yr old kid is just gonna drop $1000 on a guitar before even being able to play.
    davegrohljr
    I have owned several epi's & this one is the most versitile - I play rock, alternative, grunge, and classic rock genres. I am a father of two, so I'm down from a 200 w Randall to a spider IV 30w, and these two sound perfect for what I play. You can get a good enough clean if you spend enough time on it. These standard pickups have the best sustain of any epi I've owned yet! I'm on a budget, and this one is perfectly priced.