Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom

When I first picked up this guitar I thought it'd be like the other Epiphones I've tested but not this time. I couldn't believe how much crunch it had. Zakk wanted a maple-neck because he wanted to increase the brilliance of tone, he made it. Well, the passive pickups are not the best (because of that I've put in the EMG81, EMG85's) but they're quite powerfull. The passive pickups are the passive version of the active EMG81 which has a very aggresive tone. I liked the passive ones but I wanted the active ones. It fits perfectly for pinched harmonics (if you know Zakk).

I love playing metal but also soft stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Creed etc. and this guitar gives me all I want. I can come out with a chunky sound and play fast downtuned riffs or clean melodic riffs. I chose to play with active EMG's because they give me a bit of both high distortion and warm, mellow clean. And I don't regret it a bit. Before buying it I also tested a few Ibanez, Gibson, PRS and found out that for the price the Epiphone costs, nothing from the other named marks could be compared with. For all of those who are now interested in that guitar-go and play it. I couldn't describe it better.

Zakk's costum guitar withstands a lot. Since I'm palm muting a lot the bridge is a bit rubbed of, that's not that nice. Dunno if other guitars with fixed bridge have the same problems. As you see there are no other problems at all (not yet). I can depend on it totally.

The factory set-up was perfect, nothing to say against. It has this comfortable Les Paul feeling with a neck that's even more comfortable. It's kind a great tuning down the guitar to C or lower because it always stays in tune. Mostly I'm using the Zakk Wylde signature strings 10-60 and tune it down (sounds like I'd be a fan of Zakk, honestly I didn't care about him since I've seen his guitar. The strings are really great, too).

Korean Made, 22-frets, Les Paul body with maple neck, 2 Emg HZ Humbucker (H4+H4A), special Zakk Wylde finish (bullseye), Tune-O-Matic bridge, 3-way toggle-switch, block-inlays, 24.75" scale, grover mechanics.