Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom

I play alot of metal and this suits it to the ground. The pickups help to achieve this edgy metal sound that I was after. I use a MT-2 and a Hughes And Kettner which I have gain up to 10 27/7 so their is a hum which isn't too bad compared to other high gain pups. This guitar can get a nice warm bluesy tone and a tearing metal sound so it has pretty god variety.

This guitar is pretty perfect for me as the music I play is metal. I've been playing nearly two years and I own a Godin Radiator and a Jackson KV, am I wish it had maybe active EMG's, cos the HZ are only ok. I love the bulls eye paint job, it pwns the Orange one, I actually compared it to the Gibson verson and I found this to be much better, because it took the guitar tech a week to fix the Gibson they got in and the Epi was perfect the minute it arived.

The guitar is really well built and could withstand 1,000,000 gigs, am the gold tends to lose colour but it is my fault for not cleaning it. Every now and then I have to tighten the strap lock because they tend to come loose, but its no biggy!

The action was a bit too high for my liking but was easily fixed, I adjusted the pickups to my own liking so it wasnt a problem or anything. This guitar doesn't contain any other flaws.

This Epiphone features the black and cream bullseyes, it was built in 2004 me thinks in Korea, the neck is maple with a rosewood fret bored and 22 medium frets. the Body is mahogany with maple top and typical weight of a Gibson. It features two EMG's HZ H4 in the neck and bridge, it has the typical 2 volume and 2 tone for versitility and the 3-way switch. all the hardware is gold (shiney) and has a tune-o-matic bridge. I got a soft case and that was it basically.

ArcherTheVMan
    why the hell did false_god buy a hughs and kettner amp and a fairly good guitar and then put the boss mt-2 in the middle?! waste of good time and tone.
    BumOffBarney
    Whoa whoa, disturbed42 warned. Easy on the harsh words there buddy. b.b-king_19 youre cutting it close as well. checked and comments deleted. let's try to keep it clean kids.
    fear no beer
    this guitar is obviously not as good as the gibson thats why its about 2 grand cheaper,but in my opinion there is much on the market for the same price that can compete with this guitars brutality,this guitar screams and i love it,until i can afford a gibson there is nothing wrong with this guitar,the EMGs although there passive,sound great still,the unfinished neck is very fast and easy to get around,the weight is perfect for a les paul,heavy but not too heavy homer f put some EMG 81 pickups on it,and it is nearly the same as the gibson one which is right if your not satisfied with the passive EMGs you can always change em for the zakk wylde set (81 bridge/85 neck)
    OttovanZanten
    don't they have EMG 81 and 85 pickups? or do you mean put the Active pickups in?
    shugo449
    gjmmh123 wrote: I know it's good for metal! but can it play punk too cuz i play both?
    Yah, it works better for metal though
    matrixman_21
    once u go zakk, you cant go back! i just put some juicy 390's on my epiphone and i can honestly say that was the best desicion of my life!
    page33
    Im about to throw some cash down on one of these babies. Ive had my eye on it for quite a while.
    gjmmh123
    I know it's good for metal! but can it play punk too cuz i play both?
    DimebagRIP
    I just got this guitar today and it by far kickes any of my other guitars arses. I got his sig pick-ups put in aswell it sounds ****ing awsome!.. I love this guitar and by the way this guitar isnt made for punk is one southern rocking metal ass guitar
    gemtextr
    [quote]Linchpin wrote: Yay!Somebody Went To School!] lol soz bout da typo
    jumpmanhat
    sounded crappy when I played it. However, it looks amazing, especailly the Camo one, I can drool over that all day!!
    garden of grey
    bosses are decent pedals, but i agree, with a $3000+ rig i would not use one (i do because i use a n00b line 6 for gigs)
    garden of grey
    avenged_lover06 wrote: Homer F. wrote: Put some EMG 81 pickups on it, and it is nearly the same as the gibson one rofl the epiphone i just bought is the midnight and its the same but with emg 81 85 so it owns
    that makes all the difference, today im installing my 81 and 85s into my dimebag custom
    avenged_lover06
    Aziraphale
    I'm not a fan of Gibson necks at all, I've always been a strat-person (lately leaning to Ibanez-person tho :p)and if you're interested in Les Paul tone but a neck that's more of a strat, check out PRS. Expensive but worth it, as good old Nicko McBrain put it. Btw, as far as I know Zakk has an 85 in neck position and 81 in the bridge position. They're sold as a set by EMG. He's also got signature GHS strings :p If you really want to go all the way.
    ReBoRnBaND4
    i played one at guitar center, it was nothing special but like Homer F. said, put some EMG 81's in there and it would sound AMAZING
    CustomCustom
    neck was too fat when I tried one, the Tokai Zakk model feels better and has good Korean quality.
    Linchpin
    Yay!Somebody Went To School!
    gemtextr wrote: ah i want this guitar so bad (i even got a job 2 save up 4 it) nd im so jelous ov every1 who ahs it!
    Andrewsonfire
    couple of thousand? i dont think so.. i can get it in a music store for 1100 canadian.. I played it and i didnt like it at all, its the only les paul i ever played so maybe i just dont like les pauls.. haha I didnt like the shape of the neck.
    gemtextr