Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Melody Music Store

I play blues/rock and it suits my style extremely well. I play through a 1974 Teisco Checkmate 22 Solid State amp with a DOD Stereo Flanger, DigiTech Grunge Distortion, and a Boss Blues Overdrive pedal and Fender Electro-Volt + Fender California Cables. The Teisco head has volume, tone, reverb, tremelo depth, and tremelo speed controls. I crank everything up on the head except for the reverb which I hardly ever use. You can go from blues, rock, grunge, pop, funk, oldies, even a little bit of Metal with this guitar. Go bright or mellow rich/full great sound it is your choice.

As a Blues guitarist that has been playing fo a year at the age of 16, you may not think I know much about what I say. But I live the blues mentality and it's all I listen to. I love the blues and the only band I have seen bring good blues within the past decade is The White Stripes. Listen to a song called "Ball And Biscuit" on www.youtube.com and you will get what I'm saying if you know true blues.

I have played quite a few Live shows with it and it has never let me down. I will always go to gigs with no backup when I have this guitar, I plan to keep it forever. As well do I expect it to perform great for me and my listeners. Like a cast-iron skillet, it only gets better seasoned with every time you play it. It's got a deep/rich vintage rock and blues tone/sound.

There is one little problem with the Wildkat I got, it has a little bit of a green color mixed with the paint that is about as big a nickle, right by the top of the neck on the edge of the guitar. The wood helps provide great sound. The tuners work perfect and smooth with no trouble. But with the Bigsby vibrato (depending on your strings of choice) you may have to do a good bit of tuning every now and then.

This Epi was made in 2005, and when I got it it had seemed like the strings were too. But, that's besides the point. it's got a 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays (pearl). It has mahogany back and sides, mahogany neck, and a beautiful butterscotch blonde flamed maple top. It has a a double f-hole design on the wings and a Les Paul shaped body with a more rounded off cutaway. The single cutaway body gives you easy travelin up to the 22nd fret. It's smooth sailing. It's got nice Grover locking tuners. It has a pickup configuration of 2 single coil chrome V-P90's, with all chrome hardware and a nice old-school Bigsby tremelo/vibrato which throws the strings over top of a Tune-O-Matic bridge for easy adjustment. It has a volume knob for each pickup, pverall tone knob, master volume knob, and a rhythm/treble toggle switch. It has the headstock plate that is remenescent of the old hollowbody Epiphones. It has beautiful cream/vintage white neck, and body binding. The one I purchased came with a Fender Deluxe gig bag (yeah, I know, awkward combination.) If you are looking for a semi-hollowbody Les Paul shape with P-90's and a ES-335 sound (with a little ease on the wallet), then get one now! I have a Peavey Raptor Plus EXP and a First Act ME505. I have played Fender strats, teles, Gibson Les Pauls, and Gibson Stereo guitars and nothing has gave me the Blues/Rock mixture that I have been looking for in a guitar. If you like the sounds of Chuck Berry and AC/DC, then why buy 2 guitars. Just get an Epiphone Wildkat. It is well worth the money!