ZV Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: ZV Custom

Purchased from: www.imuso.co.uk

I mainly play Thrash, Metalcore, Death metal Etc and this guitar suits my needs perfectly. I use a Kustom quad 65DFX combo through a 4x12 cab, and it sounds amazing. I don't use any distortion pedals and this guitar sounds amazing, the passive EMG H4 pickups are really good for metal. I also play a bit of blues and jazz, this guitar can pull those off really well too, although the shape might not suit those two styles, it can definately pull them off. I'm going to give this a ten.

As I said before, I mainly play metal. This guitar suits that style perfectly, and of the 9 guitars I've owned, (including an Ibanez RGT42DX, Epiphone Les Paul custom, Epiphone G-400, Jackson king v, Washburn acoustic (forgot the model..) a Schecter Revenger, an Ibanez RGA 32, a crappy First Act starter guitar and an Encore acoustic..) this is by far the best sounding and most easiest to play. I've been playing for about 8 years now. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I'd hunt down the little s**t who stole it and kill him. Then take my guitar back.. Obviously. I love everything about this guitar. The only thing I dislike at the moment are the strings its equipped with, but I'll be changing them tomorrow anyway. My favourate feature is probably the really thin, satin neck. It looks like a natural wood, but it is actually a really nice satin finish. Also loving the hardcase it came with. I wish this guitar had a shadow killpot, which I will be buying and installing in a couple of weeks. :) this was my first review, so don't be too harsh please. I love this guitar, I seriously reccommend trying/buying it. Especially if you are a zakk wylde fan, like myself ;)

I haven't gigged with this guitar yet, but I think it could withstand live playing. I always bring a backup, just incase of string breakage/different tunings. I've played it hours on end in my room (I usually practice for about 4 hours a day..) and there has been no problem in the 4 weeks I've owned it. The hardware seems pretty good, I doubt it will oxidise easily or rust, and the strap buttons are solid. Being me, I changed them out for straplocks as soon as I bought the guitar, I have it on all my guitars. The finish on this is nice and thick, and will last a long time. I've bumped this guitar a couple of times, and so fat I haven't even noticed any marks or scratches.

The guitar was set up well at the factory. I don't have problems with lowering the action or adjusting the pickups, because it is only a five minute job. The pickups were a little low for my liking, so I just raised them up and lowered my action and now this thing plays amazingly. The finish on this guitar is just a standard ebony black finish. It is very shiny, but picks up fingerprints very easily, so you should clean this regularly, but that itself isn't a flaw.

This guitar was made in china, not too sure about the year. Here are the features; Solid mahogany body Black finish Black back finish Black hardware Set maple neck 22 fret rosewood fingerboard Pearl block inlays Single-ply white binding Grover tuners Rounded neck profile HZ-4 (Bridge) Pickup HZ-4H (Neck) Pickup 2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way selector switch. The guitar also came with a lead (load of s**t), and a hard case with a really cool graphic on the front. May I also add, this guitar has the most unique (and nice) body shape I've ever seen. half flying V, and half Sg. unlike an Sg, the guitar isn't neck heave and is really well balanced. Personally, I don't use floyd rose or any other bridge styles, so this guitar is pretty much perfect for me =]

Vypor
    Tcsanchez wrote: This Guitar Is Terrible Person Experience. Bad Tone, Ugly Ass ****, and just crappy action and set up where i played it at. My opinion of course.
    Sounds typical for a guitar made in China, I stand by my previous comment, they should of got the guys in Korea that make the Epi Prophecys to produce these ones. Would of been much more fitting.
    AdamBurnsRed
    Most_Triumphant wrote: He says it's nicer than a Epi LP Custom and a G-400. This guy has issues.
    meh i guess it's just his opinion. i also own this guitar, the neck feels nicer because of the satin finish but apart from that the LP custom blows the shit out of it. G400's are pretty s**t in my opinion
    MaggaraMarine
    LeakyFlask wrote: sewoo55 wrote: Pazz91 wrote: so if the epiphone zakk guitar is 9.8( which ok i think its a good guitar but not that good) how much would the gibson model be that has significantly better features and built quality? the rating is relative to the price Maybe, to some degree. Some people say it is, some people say it's not. No word from the review god so far.
    I think that at the same time the price is relative to the price and it's not. You just cant give a starter pack guitar that costs under $100 straight 10s. But the medium range guitars may deserve 8s and 9s. The rating is about what you expected and what you got and what you really need. And if you paid $400 and you got the best guitar in that price range of course you will give it a good rating because it was better than you expected. If you don't need a guitar better than this then it's maybe a 9, maybe a bit over. But I wouldn't give any guitar or amp or whatever straight 10s. Nothing deserves them. There's always something that could be better.
    jthm_guitarist
    barden1069 wrote: Eh I don't like that body shape in the slightest but satin necks seem hard to come by (at least for me). It's kinda cool seeing one here because they are just soooo much more comfortable.
    You can safely take some 900 grit sandpaper to your gloss polyurethane neck and make it satin.
    M3AK
    I do agree in terms that the LP Customs are awesome (got a black beauty myself) but the G-400s are pieces of shit.
    oliverchurch
    teknoman wrote: I really dont like the shape of that guitar... am i the only one?
    i agree with you, so you're not the only one
    Pazz91
    Tcsanchez
    LeakyFlask
    sewoo55
    the rating is relative to the price
    barden1069
    Vypor
    You know, I've never been a fan of the SG, but I love V guitars. This ZV guitar is pretty awesome IMO, but the lone fact that its made in China really throws it off for me. Epiphone should of got the guys in Korea that make the Prophecy line of guitars to produce this one.
    busted_hater
    you have given it almost straight 10s. Remember a review is suppose to inform people. Telling everyone it is practically perfect doesn't help. i think you need to be a little more realistic on your scores. other than that nice review!