John Petrucci Signature review by Ernie Ball / Music Man

Ernie Ball / Music Man: John Petrucci Signature

Price paid: $ 1980

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play a little bit of everything - Blues, Rock, Country, Punk, Pop, Metal, etc. My passion, however, is Thrash and Hardcore; along the lines of In Flames, Parkway Drive, Soilwork, Have Heart, Killswitch Engage, and the like. I bought this guitar because I needed versatility between my Jackson RR1 and my LTD MH-1000 Deluxe, which are excellent for what they are built for, but come up short on tone options. This guitar delivers the goods in one package that meets my needs. The sound range is amazing and you have to play it to experience it, plain and simple. I'll give this a 9, because even though it is a jack of all trades, I still haven't sold my RR1 or LTD, nor do I intend to. 'Nuff said.

As stated before I play Thrash and Hardcore mainly, but recently I've been a ringer for some rock/pop cover bands. This guitar lets me do that without feeling/sounding out of place. I've been playing for 11 years, I own a PRS Santana SE, Jackson RR1 and an ESP LTD MH-1000. I play through a B-52 AT212 Combo Tube, Boss Equalizer and MetalZone or MetalCore pedal. If it were stolen or lost I'd most definitely buy another one, maybe in the "Stealth" or "Mystic Dream" finish because they look neat. Love: Versatility Playability Body Style Finish The unfinished neck (so smooth!) Hate: $*#*ing hardshell carry handle! >:o I wish it had a Petrucci Autopilot button so I could sit back and shred like Freddy Kreuger on a bender. Bottom Line: If you're looking for the proverbial Bridge between your guitar collection, this is it! Buy it now!

I played a live show with this guitar 2 days after I received it in the mail. No problems whatsoever. Hardware is quality and doesn't give the impression that it was assembled by a 6 year old kid in a sweatshop. Depending on this guitar is like depending on the sun to rise. I usually don't bring a back up to gigs, if I do it's for someone else's use. I'll bring my RR1 or ESP if I'm too lazy to tune between songs, or just for fun.

Factory condition was excellent and what I would expect for the price. Came to me in tune and ready to roll. I've heard Redburst model is a hard-sell for dealers, as most enthusiasts who can afford the JP6 will go the extra mile and get the Mystic Dream finish. Every guitar I own is black or white, so I decided to risk it and go for a bold color scheme. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it up close. In stage lighting, the red comes out magnificently, and I've received nothing but positive remarks on it. The tremelo is awesome. My ESP and RR1 have Floyd Rose systems, but I frequently tune up and down, which after awhile even seasoned FR Veterans will grow tired of. I'm not a whammy bar junkie by any means, but from the playing I've done so far I have experienced minimal tuning issues. The only comparable tremelo I have played on was on the first line of PRS Santana SE's that came out in '01 (I think?). Anywho, I have a soft spot for this style of tremelo after playing my PRS for almost 7 years.

Model is a 2010 JP6 w/ Peizo Pickup. Redburst w/ matching headstock. Worth noting, the hardshell case has a "raised moulding" that acts as a bumper-system and reduces the chance of your case tipping over if stored hinge side down. Only reason I don't give this a 10 is because I absolutely despise hardcase carry-handles...if someone would put a quality handle (padded/high grade rubber) on their cases, I would crap myself from excitement and give this a 100/10.

G-FORCE 69
    i have a doubt, i was wondering if you guys could help me. JP's guitars only have sort of normal tremolo bars right? Not floyd rose, yet he can do all the amazing shit he used to do with his Ibanez, which i presume, it had a more floatable bridge (don't know if it was FR or not) now, how can the new one do all the things the previous could? Presuming this one is more limited in terms pitch range? could someone explain me? And i'm trully sorry about my ignorance, i'm trying to learn more about tremolo bars, and pickups, and the other guitar parts.
    straycat113
    Wow now I know why I did not hang around thi forum when I firt came upon it ome year back. All one ha to do i read mot of thee remark and you would think you were back in high chool, what a bunch of ****ing tools for the mot part. I cant undertand how a guitar review turn into a battle of two different type guitars. The Gibon Le Paul is one of the mot iconic guitars in hitory but it i not built to do what the JP i made to do. I love the EB line of guitar and the funny thing i the JP i the only model I do not mesh with becaue it has such a thin neck, but in the year 2011 there i no comparion between EBMM QC and Gibsons.
    cam01235
    les pauls are very old guitars they were designed in the 50s and feel that way though a classic..these more modern guitars have the advantage of 50 years of R & D...I like Ibanezes to play but I find the tone lacking..I alike ESPs very nice necks..but I will probably buy a EBMM FP6 next..check out the factory on youtube..these are very well made guitars plus JP's input on design...I am trying to work out the ultimate guitar to buy must have that great neck and tone..so far the JP looks the go
    akmauro
    I just got the 7 string version of the guitar with the piezo pickups. I have a '06 Gibson Explorer, '95 Gibson TV special, Schecter Damien 6 FR and I've played tons and tons of guitars over the years at many a music store. The first time I played the 6 string version, it was so hard to not buy it immediately. I've never ever felt that way about a guitar. The action is amazing and the guitar is effortless to play. I was worried about trying the 7 string version as I've only ever played 6 strings seriously. However, it's barely noticeable and as my one friend said it only feels like a 7 string when you're playing the low B. The body is incredibly light. It is a very versatile guitar which is excellent for me as I usually play in very different settings ranging from metal to church music. When I brought it to church to play (with a group of guys who all play acoustics) they were amazed at how the piezo sounded. I will agree that the pickups are a weakness (the model I have has the older pickups), however the fact that they are kind of flat can be a good thing if you own a great amp (my explorer sounds nowhere near as clean because it's pickups are too hot). All in all, as this is a great guitar and possibly the best one I own (the TV is amazing as well), there is no single be-all end-all guitar.
    stokcton
    i cant believe you guys the first thing that i thought when i saw that picture is that it looks amazing. if i could get one of these with JPs old picasso finish, i would never need a new guitar. Ever.
    MaggaraMarine
    Normozoidz wrote: why the hell did petrucci replace ibanez for this guitar(s)? just don't get it
    +1 The Ibanez looked so cool. This is just boring looking.