John Petrucci Signature Review

manufacturer: Ernie Ball / Music Man date: 03/30/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Ernie Ball / Music Man: John Petrucci Signature
My model is a 2005, California made, Piezo, matching head stock, JP inlay, John Petrucci signature Musicman.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 9.4
 12,094
reviews (5) pictures (1) 89 comments vote for this gear:
John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: GlennDanzig, on march 30, 2006

Features: My model is a 2005, California made, Piezo, matching head stock, JP inlay, John Petrucci Signature Musicman. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal (Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Iced Earth, Metallica, etc) but I also play a lot of blues improv, acoustic, classic rock, etc. and this guitar rocks perfectly with all of those styles. This guitar can adapt to any playing style and still sound amazing. The pickups on this guitar are grade A. They sound so amazing and clear, they have a lot of natural mid sound that make your sound Shine. The bridge, middle, and neck positions all sound extreamly different. The neck is the perfect shread/solo pickup, it has that smooth sound but it isn't too fat sounding like most neck pickups, and sounds amazing even with massive amounts of gain. The middle position is a mix of the neck and bridge and gives some of the greatest lead and clean sounds I've ever heard. This guitar just sounds incredable, best sounding guitar I've ever played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: If you have read other reviews of this guitar, you know that every one loves the action and finish of this guitar. Playing the guitar takes almost no energy, it plays so smooth and fast! The pick ups are also screwed into the body super tight so you don't get any noise from loose pickups. The bridge is also amazing! It feels so comfortable and strong. You can use the whammy bar and it doesn't go out of tune! The body is also something I love about this guitar, the contour cut on the body makes it godly to play. It makes your arm perfectly comfortable and makes playing guitar a lot more comfortable to play! The body also makes it really easy to solo and have a nice grip on the guitar. The neck is fantastic, Petrucci definitely went right with this. It's perfect down to the mm! I can't feel any flaws on the neck it just makes you glide, perfect size. And I have not found one flaw with this guitar yet! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I played with this guitar live and it didn't let me down, even through all my nervousness! The hardware is tough. It feels brand new every time I play it, it's built so strong. And I definitely would gig with this guitar with out a backup. I know it would never let me down. This guitar has no pickguard which worried me at first. But the finish is super solid and there are no scratches on it even with my insane picking. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is unbeatable. This guitar is so extremely versatile, it's just perfect. If I lost this guitar I would buy another one in a heart beat, I can't stand playing other guitars anymore, because they just seem like garbage compared to my John Petrucci Musicman. I have no favorite feature because all of them are plain out great. It has everything one could want. I love everything about this guitar! And before I bought this I went to a guitar shop that sells nothing but high end gear and I could say this is the best guitar I've played hands down. I played extremely hi end PRS, Gibson, Fender, Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, you name it I've played it. This guitar totally dominates the 4k+ Gibsons and slaughters the USA Jacksons. This guitar is perfect, I hope people will try it out and fall in love with it like I did. // 10

John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: dan_onlytwice, on march 24, 2010

Price paid: A$ 2200

Purchased from: EBAY - US

Features: My JP6 is the '05 model which features: JP Inlays Rosewood neck Full Floating Piezo Bridge Schaller Locking Tuners Matching headstock colour to body (yes, thats an option!!!) 24 Jumbo Frets DiMarzio "custom" pick-ups (both humbuckers) Volume, Tone, Piezo Volume knobs Piezo EQ on the back of the guitar. Case came with all the candy - Trem Bar, Wiring Diagram, Guarantee, Instructions, polishing cloth, keys etc. Overall, I was pleasantly suprised with the out and out features of this guitar. So it earns a healthy 8 // 8

Sound: As many will know, this guitar was designed for John Petrucci (obviously), so instantly everyone is going to assume is great for Prog Metal, Shredding and the odd divebomb, however, it is GENUINELY a far more versatile guitar than that. Because mine is the 05 model, it came with the not so flash pick ups, which were revised in the following models. I can understand why they were replaced as both are quite flat in their tone (not muddy, not everly bright). The bridge however (contrary to what most people say) is actually not bad, but the neck pick up is not a huge fat tone and not really very biting either. It kind of sits right in the middle. Overall, I wouldn't go crazy about the pick ups, but they are certainly quite articulate which is a huge plus. The stunning sound of this guitar is the coil-tapped middle position. Absolutely brilliant tone. I use this position for Rockabilly, Rock, Fingerstyle, Blues, Metal... Everything. Its a very Knofler, Stratty kinda tone. Overall, probably not AMAZING tone for such a pricey guitar, but through a decent amp, it still sounds glorious, particularly drop tuned. I've played this guitar through my current rig (Mesa Single Rect-O-Verb + Matching Combo), and my older rigs (Mesa Dual Trem-o-verb Combo, Mesa Nomad 100 combo) and it always does a great job overall. These days I'm playing a lot of metal, which means tunings hovering around Drop-C, Drop-B, Drop-B flat and C-Standard and this guitar kicks ass. Even with high gain, there is never any feedback, never much noise or hums, just a sexy, articulate tone. The real high point for me on this guitar is the Piezo - without a doubt, it has to be the most convincing piezo I've ever heard on a solid body. It wipes the floor with Parker, PRS, and other upper market brand piezo's with ease. Once you get the EQ right, it just sparkles. The amount of people that come up to me asking where the Acoustic guitar is coming from is staggering. Many musicians couldn't even believe I was the one producing the incredible tone. The piezo is worth an 11 on its own, but the OK-ness of the magnetics brings it down to an 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My MusicMan had a big journey from Illinois to New Zealand and when tt arrived it was perfect. Action was fantastic, intonation spot on, no buzzing anywhere on the neck. Simply flawless. The necks on these are very very very nice too. This model has the unfinished Figured Birds-Eye Maple neck which is the silkiest, smoothest neck I've ever played. To be honest, the one thing that would stop me getting the present day BFR-F1 is the fact the neck is now finished. Its a brilliant selling point for me (the unfinished neck that is). The guitar also have the 5 bolt neck fitting which means upper fret access is a breeze and with the angular, scalloped body, the guitar is ridiculously comfortable to play for hours and hours. My only gripe would be that, now I have Power Slinkies (11's) on it, in E-Standard you can get a sore hand as the neck is probably a little thin for sustained periods of chordal play. Another interesting "fault" is the fact the pickups are hard mounted directly to the body which means there is no adjustment on them - I have, however, had them re-fitted so that they are adjustable, which has brought an even-ness between the pick ups which once wasn't quite there. Overall, I am a happy chappy! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm going to preface this whole section by saying this is where this guitar earns a perfect 10. These days (as I stated earlier) I've been playing my Hardcore/Metal/Southern Rock a lot. I am a notoriously heavy player (as in strike the strings very hard) and like to throw the guitar around, as well as just generally beat the living daylights out of it daily. The guitar is still in mint condition with the ONLY mark on the guitar being at the headstock from when I hit it with the snips when re-stringing it. Otherwise it is spotless. It's had bourbon and coke spilled on the body, been played in sub-zero, frosty weather and also (accidentally) left in the boot of my car on a hot day. Still NO imperfections whatsoever. This guitar is also horrendously stable tuning wise. For a guitar sans a locking nut, the locking tuners and brilliant bridge design hold this guitar spotlessly in tune. These days, because of all of my drop tuning, I have fitted a "Trem-ol-no" which I can lock up the bridge with, or just use for "divebombs" (which is never), and that combined with the locking tuners is simply brilliant. I wouldn't just use without a back up if I had to, I DO on a day to day basis. I have no qualms whatever taking it to a gig without any other instrument - providing I have a backup pack of strings, just in case. Only problem I had with this guitar is the "A" string Piezo failing. I contacted MusicMan's tech dept, who sent me over another within the week. So again, no gripes. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar has been a great purchase. It wasn't bought to be a John Petrucci/Dream Theater fanboy, but because it is a genuine, all round, spectactular instrument. Instrument reviews are extremely personal, but for me, there have been few (if any) guitars that would eclipse this in terms of price/quality/playability bla bla bla. I have owned it for 3 and a half years now, but I thought I would wait before I submitted a review to see if the Honeymoon period would wear off - but it hasn't. These really are that good of a guitar. I will admit that I'm currently in the process of importing the current model Petrucci Music Man's pick ups, the liquifire + crunch lab, as I think with those loaded, it will be the greatest guitar I could hope for. Again, this is a personal opinion and I'm not saying this is the be all and end all for guitarists, but for me it is a perfect instrument. I used this guitar in a covers band that played everything from Floyd to 3 Doors Down, to Franz Ferdinand to Johnny Cash and never had to change guitars once to replicate all the tones I needed. As stated twice above, it's now being played only for Hardcore, Metal, Southern Rock, Screamo and it simply excels. DONT buy this guitar if you instantly think it is going to give you JP's tone and blazing skills, because its not magic - there is a lot more to his tone than just this guitar, BUT it certainly goes a long way towards it thats for sure. I couldn't, in good conscience, give it a 10 overall because I'd feel like one of those people that submits a review on here and goes "ZOMG, MY Squier Strat IS THE BESTEST EVER - 10, 10, 10" but it has easily earnt itself a comfortable 9. If it were stolen/lost, I would feel personally violated and seek some kind of "Law Abiding Citizen" revenge on the system, crushing all those that stood in my path of retribution. But seriously, would genuinely purchase another (in fact I nearly bought another on top of this one as it came up cheap). // 9

John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: AM_Nexus, on january 30, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Size: 12-1/2" wide, 1-3/4" thick, 37" long (31.8 cm wide, 4.5 cm thick, 94.0 cm long) Weight: 7 lbs, 4 oz (3.29 kg) - varies slightly. Body Wood: Basswood. Body Finish: High gloss polyester. Bridge: Standard - Custom John Petrucci Music Man floating tremolo of chrome plated, hardened steel with solid steel saddles Optional - Piezo bridge with solid steel saddles. Scale Length: 25-1/2" (64.8 cm). Neck Radius: 15" (38.1 cm). Headstock Size: Only 5-7/8" (14.9 cm) long. Frets: 24 - High profile, wide. Neck Width: 1-11/16" (43.0 mm) at nut, 2-1/4" (57.2 mm) at last fret. Neck Wood: Select maple neck. Fingerboard: Rosewood. Fret Markers: Custom JP Shields. Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend. Neck Colors: Standard - Natural Optional - Matching painted headstock. Tuning Machines: Schaller M6-IND locking with pearl buttons. Truss Rod: Adjustable - no component or string removal. Neck Attachment: 5 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting; Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets. Electronic Shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum lined pickguard. Controls: 500kohm volume and tone - .022F tone capacitor. Switching: 3-way toggle pickup selector, with custom center position configuration 3-way toggle piezo/magnetic selector (when applicable). Pickups: HH - 1 DiMarzio custom humbucking - neck 1 DiMarzio D-Sonic - bridge. My model mas the piezo option, maching headstock, no inlays, sapphire-black finish. Accessories - case, polish cloth, stirings and battary. // 10

Sound: I usually play progressive rock/metal music, but I also like to play other styles like pop-rock, rock, blues, jazz, acoustic, instrumental music. This guitar suits them all. I plug it in my Boss GT-8 processor and Ibanez IBZ10G. Sound is absolutely great. I usually use bridge pickup for leads and solos, neck - for clean sounds and shredding-type solos, and sometimes middle position for cleans sound, because it sounds very interesting. Also I use piezo/mix sound for acoustic sound. With some of my GT-8 effects it sound like acoustic guitar!! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar is grest. Pickups, bridge, neck, locking tuners and body - all of this is perfect. This guitar plays smooth, fast and it's very comfortable. Even if you are a begginer your speed can improve, because of the neck. It's really the best neck, I put my heands on. And of course, DiMarzio pickups are amazing too. This guitar has no flaws at all! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't giged with this guitar yet, but I'm sure it won't let me down. I will gig with it without any backup. This guitar is totally withstand Live playing. Hardware really seem like it will last long. The only thing is I have to do - is change battary. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me and I'll never change it for any other guitar(only if I will be able to create my signature)) ). I like everything about this guitar, because it's beautiful, comfortable, sounds great and because my favorute guitarist uses it. // 10

John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2011

Price paid: $ 1980

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Model is a 2010 JP6 w/ Peizo Pickup. Redburst w/ matching headstock. Worth noting, the hardshell case has a "raised moulding" that acts as a bumper-system and reduces the chance of your case tipping over if stored hinge side down. Only reason I don't give this a 10 is because I absolutely despise hardcase carry-handles...if someone would put a quality handle (padded/high grade rubber) on their cases, I would crap myself from excitement and give this a 100/10. // 9

Sound: I play a little bit of everything - Blues, Rock, Country, Punk, Pop, Metal, etc. My passion, however, is Thrash and Hardcore; along the lines of In Flames, Parkway Drive, Soilwork, Have Heart, Killswitch Engage, and the like. I bought this guitar because I needed versatility between my Jackson RR1 and my LTD MH-1000 Deluxe, which are excellent for what they are built for, but come up short on tone options. This guitar delivers the goods in one package that meets my needs. The sound range is amazing and you have to play it to experience it, plain and simple. I'll give this a 9, because even though it is a jack of all trades, I still haven't sold my RR1 or LTD, nor do I intend to. 'Nuff said. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory condition was excellent and what I would expect for the price. Came to me in tune and ready to roll. I've heard Redburst model is a hard-sell for dealers, as most enthusiasts who can afford the JP6 will go the extra mile and get the Mystic Dream finish. Every guitar I own is black or white, so I decided to risk it and go for a bold color scheme. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it up close. In stage lighting, the red comes out magnificently, and I've received nothing but positive remarks on it. The tremelo is awesome. My ESP and RR1 have Floyd Rose systems, but I frequently tune up and down, which after awhile even seasoned FR Veterans will grow tired of. I'm not a whammy bar junkie by any means, but from the playing I've done so far I have experienced minimal tuning issues. The only comparable tremelo I have played on was on the first line of PRS Santana SE's that came out in '01 (I think?). Anywho, I have a soft spot for this style of tremelo after playing my PRS for almost 7 years. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I played a live show with this guitar 2 days after I received it in the mail. No problems whatsoever. Hardware is quality and doesn't give the impression that it was assembled by a 6 year old kid in a sweatshop. Depending on this guitar is like depending on the sun to rise. I usually don't bring a back up to gigs, if I do it's for someone else's use. I'll bring my RR1 or ESP if I'm too lazy to tune between songs, or just for fun. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before I play Thrash and Hardcore mainly, but recently I've been a ringer for some rock/pop cover bands. This guitar lets me do that without feeling/sounding out of place. I've been playing for 11 years, I own a PRS Santana SE, Jackson RR1 and an ESP LTD MH-1000. I play through a B-52 AT212 Combo Tube, Boss Equalizer and MetalZone or MetalCore pedal. If it were stolen or lost I'd most definitely buy another one, maybe in the "Stealth" or "Mystic Dream" finish because they look neat. Love: Versatility Playability Body Style Finish The unfinished neck (so smooth!) Hate: $*#*ing hardshell carry handle! >:o I wish it had a Petrucci Autopilot button so I could sit back and shred like Freddy Kreuger on a bender. Bottom Line: If you're looking for the proverbial Bridge between your guitar collection, this is it! Buy it now! // 9

John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: Ranmanguitar, on december 15, 2011

Price paid: C$ 3000

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Loaded with features, sounds great but buyers tread lightly! I ordered a John Pretrucci Signature BFR Music Man in late 2009 and received it three months later. I had been playing for 11-12 years at the time. I played my friends guitar similar to this one and fely it time to spoil myself with one of my own. I have zero complaints about the features on this guitar. For all the electronics and zazz they put into this instrument it is easy to use and everything sounds amazing. The number one question I was asked about mine is weather it stayed in tune without a locking nut when using the tremolo and my answer is most definitely yes. Yes it comes with a case. // 9

Sound: After a set up the guitar sounded fantastic. When spending this kind of money on a guitar you shouldn't have to change anything on it. Everything this guitar comes with is very high end and sounded fantastic on every amp I ran it through. It was however a little noisy. More so than I expected it to be. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box the guitar needed some work. Once it was set up it felt amazing. No issues with the pickups, bridge, finish or fretwire. My issue is with the neck. I had lots of issues intonating this guitar. Though it is dangerously fast and feels fantastic it needs to be maintained more often than I expected it to. When playing above the eighth fret the tuning and intonation would be out and require work done to it every second day or so to keep it in. After a while I began getting fed up with the whole process keeping it in and effected how much I enjoyed it. Now keep in mind I am a working musician who is a guitar tech on the side. I'm not some kid whining about something he doesn't know how to take care of. I live and breathe this stuff. My friends guitar similar to mine ended up having the same problem as well and he ultimately traded his off. This problem may have only been native to us. If you have played these and your opinion contradicts mine and my friends experience please write your review. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I played the guitar live a few times over the period of a year. It is durable but I found myself eventually shelfing it and replacing it with my more reliable insurgents. Instruments like my Les Paul or my old Schecter Diamond Series with a floyd rose. I could throw that thing around, leave it out in the cold and it would take everything I threw at it and never go out of tune or out of intonation. I could have bought three of those for the price of the EBMM JP BFR. I expected much much more for my $. // 4

Overall Impression: I play all musical styles. Off and on the stage. In and out of the studio. I have been playing for 13 or so years now. I am an avid musical gear enthusiast and have been a guitar tech for four years. I own a wide variety of musical interments and amps. Les Pauls, Schecters, Ibanez, Fender, Mesa, Peavey and Orange amps. The guitar's features are amazing. They are well thought out and placed well on the instrument for comfort and playability. The sound is fantastic when it it set up but requires more work than I was ultimately willing to do v.s. my more reliable instruments. DiMarzio's aren't usually as noisy as they are in this guitar. Something to do with the wiring and the pot's perhaps... The piezo is the best part of the guitar. Piezo pickups are easy to make but Music Man has done something special with the one in this guitar that sets it apart. There needs to be more informative reviews on these and other instruments like these considered to be higher end where people are spending their hard earned dollar on something they are hoping to be amazing. I have since sold the guitar. If it were stolen I wouldn't have bought another. Like I said above. Maybe the problem I was experiencing was only mine and my friends model but when you spend that sort of money you should get more. Buyers beware. Tread Lightly. Sorry for any bad grammar or spelling. // 4

Comments