Edwards E-HR-130III review by ESP

ESP: Edwards E-HR-130III

Price paid: C$ 900

Purchased from: Used

I play a load of power metal. Be it Japanese or English. I also play some more thrash metal as well. On rare occasions I try to play some clean jazz. This guitar tends to work really well with all kinds of styles. There is a lot of hum with the coil splitters which is to be expected and not really much of a problem. The sound is pretty bright through my friend's Peavey Classic 50 but some EQ'ing makes this small problem more or less a little quibble. I also own a Line 6 Spider III, but I don't think it would make sense writing a review using that amp. The single coil split Switch does it's job beautifully. Obviously it doesn't sound like "a strat" but considering it wasn't really meant to be a Strat it's not really a problem for me. I love the versatility and you can really hear the crispness of the singles vs the warmness of the humbuckers. The only thing is that because the coil-splitter is on the volume knob, if I'm not careful I may accidentally roll it down. Which gets kinda annoying.

To say I love this thing is an understatement. It's perfect for the music I play and it's comfortable in my hands. I love the versatility I get from the different pickup configurations with the coil-splitting, and the floyd does it's job and stays in tune. I would probably save up for this same guitar if it were lost or stolen. (But i'll probably attack the person who stole it, or search high and low for it if I lost it) The only thing that really angers me is the strap pins. Thankfully they aren't THAT expensive at all. I think also for the price of $1600 they could've put an Original Floyd instead of the FRT-5000, but it's not much of an issue for me.

The only thing that was a serious disappointment were the strap pins. They were incredibly small. Any exaggerated movement could've taken the strap off. This was a big problem for me in general. I would've been even more pissed off if I actually had paid the full $1600 then had to pay extra for new strap pins. Once that issue gets fixed the guitar is much more solid than my Epiphone G-400. No neck dive. The electronics are properly soldered (something that was an issue when I bought my SG). The only reason I'm giving this an 8 is because of the strap pin thing. They aren't expensive at all, but the fact that ESP couldn't have just put normal ones on and chose tiny ones instead for the guitar didn't bode well for me.

I can't comment on the setup from the factory because I bought it used (Even if I could I don't think it would have been set-up because it was shipped overseas) I had to raise the pickups a bit because I didn't like how quiet the neck pickup was (It was pretty low for some reason) but when it's adjusted it's really nice and clear. The neck is incredible. It's probably a hair's diameter smaller than my Epiphone G-400 (lol) but it honestly feels so much more comfortable in my hands than my SG did. My hands used to hurt only when I played on my SG. Any other guitar I played was fine. I thought it was the thickness of the neck on the SG, but the thickness is almost the same on the Edwards. It's shaped differently and that makes it so much more comfortable than my SG. Everything was properly set-up by the previous owner before he made the sale. It was ready to play when I bought it. I looked this guitar through and through and there were literally no problems. (Unless you wanna call a rough electronics cavity an issue) The only thing I needed to readjust was the bridge because there was a lot of fret buzz on the E, A and G strings.

I bought this guitar used for $900, but the guy who sold it to me never really got any playtime with it. So it was basically a new guitar. It usually goes for $1600 new shipped from Japan because Edwards guitars are only available to the Japanese market. - A 2010 model, according to the serial number. Made in Japan. - 24 frets - Alder Body, 3pc Maple neck - Xtra Jumbo frets - Set neck - Solid Snow White finish - Horizon III body shape - FRT-5000 Floyd Rose - Passive electronics, Seymour Duncan SH-2n Jazz in the neck and TB-14 Custom 5 in the bridge. Both connected to one coil-split Switch which is also the volume knob. - 1 tone knob - 3 way toggle - Gotoh tuners - Included ESP gigbag In terms of general quality Edwards is made in Japan and is higher quality than the LTD-Deluxe line from ESP.

MonsterOfRock
    Edwards' are awesome. My E-CY-165CTM still is as solid as the day I got it some 3 years ago. Their stuff is basically as good as the ESP brand, just a lot cheaper.
    PeterPanKaKe
    Ok.
    Disturbdkornkid
    Nice guitar. I like the Horizon II bodies better (at least I think it was the Horizon II....the one that Devin Townsend plays) but it still looks damn good.
    sewoo55
    GrimGod69 wrote: sewoo55 wrote: actually, ESP guitars are going downhill in terms of quality these days.... My deluxe LTD plays better than an ESP (no kidding) and the edwards is certainly better than ESPs in terms of quality You do know that LTDs and edwards are ESPs???
    yes i know that. i was comparing the REAL ESP guitars with the import model ESP LTD guitars.
    espplayer400
    Slovak_Ghost
    GrimGod69 wrote: sewoo55 wrote: actually, ESP guitars are going downhill in terms of quality these days.... ESP =/= LTD/Edwards I have an LTD 1000 Deluxe and it does not compare to an ESP standard That is like saying that an Epi is as good as a Gibson Custom My deluxe LTD plays better than an ESP (no kidding) and the edwards is certainly better than ESPs in terms of quality You do know that LTDs and edwards are ESPs???
    siverstorm
    espplayer400 wrote: ughhhhh, my dream guitar... thank you for reminding me that ill probably never own one of these =(
    Constantly check ebay and local classifieds. 5 months later she was in my hands.
    SilverRock113
    Wow that looks so nice.... Where can i get one of these? I checked ebay but they only had LP shapes.
    siverstorm
    Actually meesursparkle (sp?) on ebay had a black one going for $1100 plus shipping at one point. Thing with Edwards is that they don't send out lots of stock from the manufacturers as often as other brands so it might take a while to get them. You could also look around on ishibashi and ikebe, but those would be around $1600 with shipping to North America.
    GrimGod69
    You do know that LTDs and edwards are ESPs???
    sewoo55