Grassroots G-FR-62GT Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

ESP: Grassroots G-FR-62GT
This guitar suits me very well as I play a lot of metal, visual kei and rock. It has a pretty bright sound but I wouldn't expect warm tones from it.
 7.1
 7.2
 3,780
review (1) pictures (5) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Grassroots G-FR-62GT Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: second-hand

Features: This guitar was probably made in Korea like all the other later Grassroot models. 24 frets, 648mm scale, Hard maple 3p neck with a rosewood fretboard and a bolt-on joint with a body made of ash. See thru red finish. A floyd rose licensed bridge, 3 way p.u. selector, double humbuckers volume, tone with tap. // 7

Sound: This guitar suits me very well as I play a lot of metal, visual kei and rock. Using a Roland Cube 20X this sounds pretty good and isn't noisy at all. Thanks to the Duncan designed pickups and tap there is plenty of variety. It has a pretty bright sound but I wouldn't expect warm tones from it. I'll be swapping out pickups soon because the Duncan designed aren't very good. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I bought this second hand, it had been set up by the previous owner who had done a pretty good job adjusting the pickups. The finish has no flaws, simply put: it is outstanding. The Floyd (licensed) was a pain to set up as the previous owner had kept it in place using a battery. Other than that, no flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar will hold up pretty well and can probably withstand live playing. Of course, I'd still bring a backup. The hardware does seem like it will last but it isn't the highest quality. The floyd was a real b-tch to set up as it had been blocked before but after balancing it out it worked out fine. It stays in tune really well and has impressed me a lot. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style very well as previously mentioned. I've been playing it for 2 months now and own a LTD F-100FM as well. If it were stolen... Well, I'd be pretty upset as this is a Japan market only model. I absolutely love the body shape and finish and it plays like a dream my favorite feature being the tap on the dual humbuckers. I would however swap out pickups as previously mentioned. // 8

Comments