Horizon FR-II With Duncans review by ESP

ESP: Horizon FR-II With Duncans

Price paid: A$ 2899

Purchased from: Rockshop NZ

I run through this a Peavey 6505-212 (60w valve) using the amps distortion through a DigiTech Bad Monkey tube overdrive and a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal. The pickups on this guitar. WOW (Seymour Duncan JB (B) / '59 (N) p.u. (passive)). They support high gain really well, while still keeping the clarity of the notes. The pickups have a great balance of lows and highs and push the mids really well. Because of the coil tap you have such a range of sounds you can get out of this guitar. Set the coil tap off on this guitar, changing the pickups to single coils can give this guitar an amazing sound, I have run this through my dads Fender Classic and it sounded almost exactly like a nice Fender Strat. The bridge P.U is awesome for metal and shredding, whereas the neck P.U. gives an amazing jazz, blues and rhythm tone.

My overall impression of the guitar is that it is perfect shred machine suited to my every guitaring need. Sure it was real expensive, but it was not over priced in the slightest. The features and the build quality speak for themselves that these are some of the finest guitars TAT ESP produces. If you play metal but want a real versatile guitar and are looking for something a class above other guitars then get an ESP Horizon! Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment!

The only problem I would have with playing this live is that its such an expensive guitar and I would be so scared to play it on stage in case something happened to it! Apart from that, get the strap buttons changed to strap locks and you will be able to shred for ever as this guitar will never go out of tune, so you wont have to worry about re-tuning every 5 minutes on stage!

The factory set up was really good on this guitar. No problems with the finish, it looks really nice on the quilted maple top. Even the routing for the Floyd had heaps of work done to it and was painted up and looked nice, it wasn't just a hole on the back of your guitar! I always have one problem with set up. 9-46 string gauge, too loose, I reckon they should come factory with 10-52? I mean this is a guitar suited for metal. But no troubles there it was easy enough to change the strings and re-adjust the Floyd (luckily I knew what I was doing or it could have caused a lot of problems).

2010 model, Made in Japan. - Super-strat body - Neck-Thru-Body Construction - 25.5" Scale, this doesn't bother me at all, as I don't drop tune because it has a floyd and I just keep it in standard tuning - 24 XJ Frets - Alder Body - Quilted Maple Top - Maple Neck, Ebony Fingerboard - 42mm Locking Nut - Thin you Neck Contour - Chrome Hardware - Black Nickel Hardware - Gotoh Tuners - Floyd Rose Original Bridge <--- this thing can take a pounding and works like a dream. Even after hundreds of dive bombs my guitar is still perfectly in tune. - Seymour Duncan JB (B) / '59 (N) p.u. (passive) - Finish: Black Aqua - Master Volume With Push-Push Coil Split Switch on Volume Control - 3-Way Toggle - Master Tone When I was trying out a bunch of different guitars to buy the shop owner bought out this guitar and the finish blew my mind. The guitar looked so beautiful. The finish is perfect (as you would expect from a Japanese made ESP). This guitar is almost a halfway between the NT-II and the FR-II as it has a Floyd like the FR-II but the Duncans like in the NT-II. This suited me perfectly as I wanted a floyd but I wanted the Duncans as well because the FR-II has the EMG 81/85 set up witch I'm not that keen on, and I think the Duncans sound much better. The locking nut along with the Gotoh tuners with the Floyd work amazing and it is almost impossible for this guitar to go out of tune. The only hardware I have felt the need to change in this guitar was the strap buttons to strap locks. As I would never play a guitar this expensive standing without strap locks!

dementiacaptain
    Anchr wrote: Looks awesome, shame about the tremolo and passives though, especially for that amount of money :
    ? Its an OFR? that's a pretty nice bridge.... and I mean actives aren't for everyone, I prefer passives most the time.
    m4ss3 m/
    You know, EMGs aren't the best pickups in the world..
    Nagash02
    a drummer
    tiyfs wrote: I wish it came with coil tapped dimarzio's... But it is over priced, the Korean made ltd line is VERY close to this in quality. fine it has an original floyd and has an ebony fretboard and comes with a hard case, but is that worth the extra $2k?
    LTD's usually have Floyd Specials, which is still a floyd but made with cheaper alloy and across seas. Also ESP uses more quality wood. The price difference is actually reasonable. ESP makes damn nice guitars
    PrimitiveGuitar
    Nagash02 wrote: if you guys had actually CHECKED the prices... Drum City Guitar Land sells these for $1760, just sayin'
    Dewy141 wrote: My ESP eclipse was only 1200$
    alexisXcore wrote: 2899=3000$ ... **** thats ****ing expensive...
    Sorry if it didn't specify, but that price is in New Zealand dollars, so basically half the price and there's ur US equivalent
    JuliaWarheart
    Awesome guitar. My best friend has this one, I got the NT II. All I can say is that this thing is quite the most awesomest thing in my life.
    GuitarManiac110
    alexisXcore wrote: 2899=3000$ ... **** thats ****ing expensive...
    Agree with that. Sweet guitar,but ESPs are overpriced. In my humble opinion.
    beau05
    shikkaka
    I have an ltd with EMGs and an ESP horizon NT-II (this guitar with no floyd) with SD pups. I much prefer the SD. I agree with you about the trem though, they are not for me.
    Sakke
    GuitarManiac110 wrote: Agree with that. Sweet guitar,but ESPs are overpriced. In my humble opinion.
    They aren't overpriced at all. That guitar washes out any Korean made guitar. Even those of high quality. Note, I'm not stating that Korean guitars are bad, this one is just better in every single aspect.
    PrimitiveGuitar
    beau05 wrote: Thats a sweet guitar. I wouldn't mind trying passives one day, but not from the Rockshop, I've always found them to be snobs As for the 'prices', being at the ar$se end of the world has it's disadvantages doesn't it haha
    Some times its the shop you go to, or luck of who's working i guess. I've been in once and they were all *****s to me, went in the next week and they let me play the guitars for as long as i wanted and were nice as to me.
    Anchr
    Minivirus2
    I got a pretty much new ESP M-II about a month and a half back for $1200. 3K does sound like a lot, but of you go onto the ESP website and use the custom shop quote tool, a guitar like this (or the one I mentioned) will supposedly run you around 6K. I'd prefer if my M-II had a tone knob, but I wasn't skipping out on an ESP (you can only get LTDs in my city without going to the custom shop) for that price at that level of quality. BEST GUITAR I'VE EVER PICKED UP. ESP are expensive for a reason, high friggin' quality! And they're well worth it. Cudos on the HR! I was looking at possibly getting a leser LTD model Horizon before I found the M-II.
    Marrowoflife
    Nagash02 wrote: forgot the link http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumci... 1/ESP-STANDARD-SERIES-Horizon-FR-II-Duncans-See-Thru-Black-C herry-2012-6-String-Electric-Guitar-P5202C426.aspx
    Whoa - I was about to say "That's more than my Les Paul Traditional Plus". FYI The link does not work, there is a space before the / 1/.
    jwalk3r
    In my experience save a 1000 and buy a nice USA Fender or Dean. The Dimebag series of Dean Guitars have beautiful output from the seymour duncan humbuckers for everything. I can play like coldplay to Meshuggah on that guitar. def. check out those guitars if you want something with top knotch quality without the 1500+ price tag
    Heideck
    Hell nice guitar. The only thing that I don't like about paying 3k for a guitar like that, it's that I could get an handmade Guerilla guitar for this price..
    GuitaristOfOz
    Have just Purchased the 2012 FR2 in Dark Brown Sunburst.. Waiting for it to arrive.. Beautiful looking guitars, will post back when it arrives to give feedback as this thread I have looked at that many times looking for info on this model.
    AlmaMaterFL
    FYI The 2012 model Horizon FR-II with duncans was only made with a mahogany body. After contacting ESP, they stated there was mistake in the catalogue. In the ESP website it shows as a mahogany body guitar while in the catalog appears as Alder. Many ESP dealers follows the cataloge specs. Regards
    navid666
    i have Esp MII CTM STD and Horizun FR-II Duncan .they are best guitar pn the world.I am very happey
    tiyfs