Horizon FR review by ESP

ESP: Horizon FR

I play a large variety of music from blues to metal and with this guitar I can get most of the desired sounds especially due to the pickup split capacity, you can switch from normal to humbucker. I use a Marshall JVM 210C 100W valve amplifier and I believe that this amp brings the guitar's potential to maximum. It creates less feedback compare to my Gibson Les Paul and the sound is much more cleaner without loosing any of it's sustain or aggressiveness.

So all in all with this guitar you can play everything from Cream to Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc... I also own a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I'm happy that I got the Horizon FR because it suits better all my styles. The only negative side on this guitar is that you can't use drop D or other similar tuning due to the Floyd Rose so I still need my Gibson a lot to play some SOAD and RATM. The best thing on it is the Ebony Fingerboard. It just gives it such a good feeling when you play on, it's orgasmic! I got use to the Jumbo Frets in 2 days! I always had trouble with J.F. but this guitar made it so easier! I've been playing guitar for a few years now and since I got that one I just feel that I have improve really much and build-up a very strong style. If it ever got stolen I would do every thing just to find the thief and give him hell! This guitar is 100% worth it especially for metal and thrash.

This is guitar is not heavy, I can stand up for ours playing without my back complaining. The wood is "massive" and gives you a very nice feeling when you hold the instrument. Very resistant I once accidentally hit it against something and I still can't find any mark. The tune locks do an amazing job, I'm talking about abusing of bends without any single tuning problem! I've replaced the strap buttons with straplocks because I don't trust guitar buttons on any guitar so I can't really judge them. The Floyd Rose is simply perfect. Very easy to change the spring tension in case of string size change (I recently change the original 9-42 strings to Ernie regular slinky Ball 10-46). I've had this guitar for 4 months I play a lot on it and I've done some gigs with it and it still looks like a new one! I believe it's going to last for a very long time without letting me down.

Every thing was completely fine when I got it. The whammy bar was perfectly adjusted and there where no problems with any thing. The only thing that I've noticed so far is that one of the screws to adjust the position of the rhythm pickup is a bit rough but with a good screw driver it's not a real problem. The guitar was delivered with 9-42 strings and a fancy guitar case.

ESP Horizon FR BK Features: * Alder Body * Maple Neck (neck thru) * Ebony Fingerboard * 24 Frets * Scale: 24,4" * 1x Seymour Duncan SH1N Pickup * 1x Seymour Duncan TB4 Pickup * Original Floyd Rose Tremolo * 1x Volume, 1x Tone control (Push-Push) * 3 way Toggle switch * Finish: Black * Incl. Case

aidan.campbell
    Is this guitar good for David Gilmour style soloing or mainly shredding? The Horizon has a great looking headstock btw