Horizon NT-II review by ESP

ESP: Horizon NT-II

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

I Bought this guitar initially intending to put it in drop a# to play The Ghost Inside, Parkway Drive etc. But after receiving it I was amazed by the tone I was getting, this guitar I believe can suit any genre, I Tuned it down a half step from its E Standard initial set-up and started playing Guns N Roses, Extreme, Van Halen and it did them all, even with utilising the coil tap feature I was doing Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. At this point I felt it wouldn't do the guitar justice tuning it down so low, so the lowest it goes now is drop c# which isn't very often, its more or less in D# Standard all the time now and I love it, no hum at all. I should also mention I'm playing this guitar through a Bugera 6262 through an Orange 2x12 cab with Celestion V30 speakers, Boss NS2, SD1 a Mxr 6 Band EQ and a MXR Micro Chorus (just to name all my pedals). Overall getting the guitar was a good shock, and it got me into rock again, it just screams tone!

I play practically every genre you could think of, rock, hard rock, metal (including all of the "cores"), Djent, Blues and even some jazz. And I'm fairly certain this guitar could do everything, apart from some of the ridiculously low tuned extreme high gain stuff (Chelsea grin being one example). I have been playing roughly about 4.5 years and think I'm a pretty good player. I own a Bugera 6262, Orange 2x12 cab (Celestion V30's), Boss NS2 & SD1, MXR 6 Band EE & Micro Chorus and a TC Electronics Poly Tune guitar tuner, as for guitars I have a ESP Ltd EC 1000 (see thru cherry finish), Jackson DKMG, Tangle Wood Acoustic that I got from my uncle when I started playing which I think he bought in the 1980's, as well as a Gibson Les Paul 2009 Traditional in the Heritage cherry finish (which has now been sold, I really didn't like it). If it was stolen or lost I would definitely get another. Overall impression of the guitar? Best guitar I have ever owned it blows my Les Paul out of the water which is shocking because the Les Paul was 800 more and you get half of the features compared to the ESP. I couldn't be happier with this guitar it is just perfect. However due to the coil split Switch it knocks a point off.

I'm fairly certain this guitar would withstand gigging but I'm not in the position to gig at the moment as my last band broke up. Hardware seems solid. I never gig without a back up. Overall everything is as good as I could expect it to be.

The set-up from Gak was great, the action was low with no fret buzz, and the pickups were adjusted fine, no complaints. Right here's where my review might turn a bit sour, For Some reason the coil tap Switch will not stay down in the hum bucking position I have tried everything, adjusting it, Switch cleaner even a bit of blue tac at one point, I have now come to the conclusion that I need a new Switch which is annoying because apart from this the guitar is flawless, Anyways apart from that the finish is top quality and the guitar feels great so overall I'm giving it a 7, it would be a 10 if not for the Switch which is probably a one off.

This is a 2011 model made in Japan ESP Horizon NT 2(II). It features a 25.5" scale length, thin you shaped maple neck with an immaculate Ebony fretboard sporting 24 extra jumbo frets, with gotoh magnum lock tuners on ESP's signature pointed Headstock. As for the body its "super strat" solid mahogany body with a flamed maple arch top. I chose the Dark Brown Sunburst Finish and it is probably the best finish for this particular guitar in my opinion. The guitar is a string thru design which I believe adds to the sustain of the guitar. I chose the Seymour Duncan pickup set for this guitar which I believe is the SH-1N 59 model in the neck and the SH-4 JB in the bridge. 3 way pickup selector, A master tone and a master volume control, on this particular version of the guitar the volume pot pops up to split the coils of both pickups, this is NOT featured on the EMG version. I don't know if it was purely because it bought this guitar from gak.co.uk but I received a ESP case for the guitar with nothing more than an ESP label and a manual for changing strings because lets face it Gotoh's magnum lock tuners are a fiddle to change strings with, but get the job done. The overall spread of options possibilities and high end components on this particular guitar are great.