LTD Alexi-200 review by ESP

ESP: LTD Alexi-200

I play a lot of Power Metal and Neo-classical Metal and this guitar handles these styles well. It sounds like it will excel at any style of metal or hard rock, and to my delight, it handles blues and rock very well. I play through a Crate GTD120 combo amp, a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and a Boss Noise Supressor. The stock pick-up in this guitar is pretty crappy, that is why this guitar gets a 7 for this category, but I will be installing a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in about a week. After that, this guitar will be a 10 in my opinion (I love the sound of the Dimebucker, not too bass heavy, cutting treble, scooped mids, and plenty of output).

I have been playing guitar for around 9 years and have played guitars from $99 to $1499. I currently own a Crate GTD120, Fender FM212, numerous effects, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, a Gibson SG Special Faded, a Schecter Omen 6, a Schecter C-1 Plus, two Fender Stratocasters, an Ovation Acoustic, an Ibanez RG350DX, a Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85), a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom, and this guitar. I have, over the years, formed the opinion that a guitar doesn't have to be thousands of dollars (or even a thousand dollars) to be truly great. This guitar is, in my opinion, better than a lot of guitars costing two or even three times as much. The only thing I have a problem with is the stock pick-up, but that is an easy fix and Who doesn't change pick-ups anyway? I gave this guitar a 10 because I feel like I got an extraordinary guitar at a great price. Also, if you are going to be swayed by the opinions of Jackson loyalists and get the RR-3 instead, just give this one a try first, you might be surprised like I was.

This guitar feels very solid. Let me put it this way: If you treat your instrument with love and proper care, it will last a lifetime. If you abuse your instrument, it will not last. Oh, and not that the strap buttons from ESP are bad or anything (they are actually better than most stock strap buttons), but I would invest in a set of straplocks.

The guitar was setup pretty well at the factory, I assume, but it was kinda out of whack by the time it got to me. A few adjustments and some retuning and it plays like butter, the action is nice and low, there is no fret buzz anywhere on the neck, and the tremolo system stays in perfect tune even after numerous divebombs and pulls (contrary to what everyone says about liscensed tremolos), also, the high frets are very easy to reach, despite the bolt-on construction. Everything else was setup perfectly from the factory. The only thing you will need to worry about is the hardware, it seems like it will get rusty with too much sweat (solved by applying gun oil to any metal parts and threaded parts).

Made in China in 2007. Bolt-on construction. 24 X-tra jumbo frets. Rosewood fingerboard. Maple neck. Pearl sawteeth inlays. Basswood body. Gloss black finish. Randy Rhoads style body (slightly different). ESP liscensed Floyd Rose double locking tremolo. Black nickel hardware. Non-locking ESP tuners. Single passive EMG-ESP humbucker in treble position. Single volume knob. It comes from the factory with ESP owner's manual, tremolo arm, four allen wrenches, and an extra spring. I give the Alexi-200 a 9 in this category because the stock pick-up really sucks, but everything else is great, it's got everything I need and nothing I don't.