LTD Alexi-200 review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
ESP: LTD Alexi-200

The guitar is a Chinese model in Snow White. Although the most basic version of the Alexi Laiho

The pick-up is by far from the best but also far from the worst. The harmonics are not the best I've heard and when trying to do pinch harmonics, they are very distant and without any real body to them. However this is all through distortion, when switched to a clean output, the pick-up sounds surprisingly nice, with a nice warm tone to it. If you want to use the guitar for anything really heavy or fast, switch to any decent Seymour Duncan or replace with the Alexi Laiho pick-up from EMG. I'd also recommend sticking with passive pick-ups just so that there isn't any need to take out anymore wood for batteries making the guitar even lighter than it already is.

The guitar has a nice feel to it, this finish is very solid and construction is great, no gaps at all and strong as anything. The guitar itself is very light, this will be due to the basswood but either way still feels like a solid instrument, the strap buttons should be replaced with strap locks (as with any instrument), the tuners are also rather solid and hold their tune well (this is also helped by the locking nut to hold everything when fine-tuning has been done). Overall, the guitar feels good for it's price, my only issue is with the weight of the instrument.

I don't think this guitar would withstand live playing. Firstly due to how light the guitar is, it feels like it would break, I wouldn't use it as a back-up, more just as a practice instrument when at home so I don't have to keep pulling out the hard case to get to my Alexi-600 Greeny. The hardware on the other hand is perfectly reliable and should last a good few years before needing to be properly serviced. The only thing is to be patient with bridge, these can be a pain in the a-se to set up if you aren't used to them.

Overall I feel this is a good guitar for people looking to go straight into having a Rhoads style guitar, without the huge price tag, however, you get less than what you pay for in my opinion, the guitar doesn't weigh as much as it should however the hardware feels sturdy and will last, above all however, replace the shoddy pick-up! Also buy a hardcase just to keep the instrument safe, with these shapes of guitars you can never be to careful. As with alot of cheap

blooddrunk
    Its a great guitar. Very playable. Personally im going to upgrade the pickup in mine possibly to the laiho signature emg.
    cam.jaillet
    I have the Alexi-200 and the Alexi-600. I got the 200 for $500AU so my drunk friends wouldn't play my strat all the time and damage it. It was so badass I bought the 600 too. I put the Alexi signature pickup in the 200 and it f--ing smokes the 600 now! That said, I'm selling the 200 today so I've put the signature pickup in the 600 now and it is amazing. I really tried to listen for a difference in sound and I can't. The high powered EMG pickup is almost cheating. I could put it in a cricket bat and im sure it would sound amazing. My advice: get the Alexi sig pickup for like $80 on ebay and your face will melt off. IMO a passive pickup wont cut it for this rig, I had an X2N in the 600 and the 200 with the EMG was smoking it so I didnt play my 600 if i was plugged in.. no point. That said!.. Im selling the 200 because the 600 is better, it's solid AF and I found the little E string would slip off the bottome of the fretbourd on the 200 quite a lot, and the light wood in the body makes the headstock fall down when you're wearing a strap. They are my only complaints though. Sweet little shredders axe!