LTD Alexi-600 review by ESP

ESP: LTD Alexi-600

Purchased from: Ebay

I purchased my 2006 Alexi from a eBay seller and since then it has been nothing but amazing. Despite it's short comings having a single humbucker (a EMG HZ which others will say sounds rather sterile) and one volume pot (in which others will argue it's like having your tone set to ten and then fiddling around till you find your sweet spot for the sound you want to have). The EMG HZ that was in the guitar really held it's own with my Laney GH100TI (all tube Tony Iommi tube head). As for the volume pot I can still get a great tone out of it, from a dark sabbath like tone to Metallica to Children Of Bodom(no duh), but then again it all depends on your rig as well. In the end this guitar is a metal guitar and does justice to be so. I recently also just upgraded all the hardware in the guitar with a EMG 81 and EMG PA-2 (an afterburner with 20 dB with the flip of a Switch, it's the same that Alexi Laiho has in his guitar). The active really just is amazing with such clarity, and strength (each pickup have their own distinct sound and tone which I both loved but I have a preference for EMG active pickups, and why have a pickup that mimics a 81 when you can have the real thing). The guitar just Rips like no other especially with my Laney half stack and MXR ZW-44 pedal.

The LTD ESP Alexi-600 is a good metal guitar outright and more so I bought it because it a great guitar and can hold it's own. If this guitar was lost or stolen that guy Who did it better pray that I never find him, but if it was I would definitely replace it, it's a great guitar and after all the mods even more worth while.

This guitar can take a beating and keeping going, the floydrose really holds up with what I throw at it, from dive bombs to palm muting. The hardware seems to keep up. I truthfully would depend on it if I had to gig with it. The previous owner installed Dunlop strap locks on it to insure that it can't have any unexpected accidents when attached to a strap.

The action when I purchased it from ebay need to be desperate need of a floydrose being setup and also to change the tuning to a whole step down from Standard, but more so that is the fault of the seller and not ESP. After getting it setup, the guitars actions is lower than Britney Spears sex appeal ratings after she shaved her head. The neck and slim and fantastic to run up and down. I personally would prefer if the neck was unpainted and natural (which comes Standard on the ESP custom shop models), but that's just me. The floydrose keeps her in tune even when she doesn't want to be. It can really take a beating I've dive bombed over and over with it and whammed like no other and it still holds a tuning. The Grover tuners really just help it in hold in tune as well, I have them on my Epiphone Zakk wylde les paul (with EMG 81/85)and she holds in tune fantasticly as well. The finish is what made me fall in love with this guitar it was perfect all around, other than some cosmetic flaws in which the previous owner chipped the tips of the fins on it to the wood, but very slight and small chippings ( but I can deal). The white coloring for the body is just flawless with the black pinstripes around the outline for the guitar and is a real eye catcher.

The new LTD Alexi-600 offers a striking V-shaped alder body available in 2 finishes: Black w/Yellow stripe and White w/Black stripe. The guitar has a neck-thru 25.5 in. design, using a 3-piece Maple neck with a 24-fret Ebony fingerboard and saw-tooth inlays. The LTD Alexi includes White binding on neck and head, and comes with professional-quality components including a Floyd Rose original tremolo, Grover tuners, and a single EMG HZ H-4 pickup.

Yoyo Of Death
    Pat_s1t wrote: rider of pigs wrote: is it coming ot in different colors anytime soon? i'd like it in black and red... you can get a limited version in black and an almost-red pink, not sure how much they cost though. My friend's sister's boyfriend owns one.
    nice. my fathers brothers nephews cousins former roommate knew a guy who had one, he thought it was pretty sweet
    hothot
    trivium 666 wrote: FUCK YAAA, JACKSONS FUCKING RULE! dont go alot on alexi lahio or children of bodom but you no a guitar is a guitar, lake bodom.... to play? EASY AS PISS! STILL LIKE MY GOOD OLD B.C. RICH WARLOCK THOUGH YEEEAAH
    trivium 666 wrote: SORRY FORGOT TO SAY THAT THE LTD IS SHIT!!!!!
    Go **** youself you dumb ass
    hothot
    SORRY FORGOT TO SAY THAT trivium 666 is Brand *****.And whould like to pay 1120 for a crap ass Jackson.I whould pay 400 and get a great LTD
    soadquake981
    i'm extremely surprised that this review was not posted earlier, considering how long this guitar has been out... damn, i have nowhere near enough money to buy this guitar. i would if i could. i'll have to settle for the alexi-200, it's good for the money
    Vanilla Custard
    trivium 666 wrote: SORRY FORGOT TO SAY THAT THE LTD IS SHIT!!!!!
    Yes I would rather get the ESP version, But I cant afford it
    ksiencks
    Call me a noob... but is it possible to get a neck pickup built into this beautiful thing?
    pissonemo
    If you prefer the Classic Laiho look.....google "ESP SV standard".....and look for a link to a place called Bmusic.....its about $2K all in all...but you get 2 humbuckers, and they are both active...plus the classic RR shape.
    Tedward
    lol a good friend of mine is probably going to buy this guitar. If he does i will enjoy playing it
    60cyclehumm
    AHH! alexi laiho is my god! not really but il ove him adn his guitars they're awesome children of bodom for life!
    Slash_HuDsOn
    the only difference is if your sitting down and even then you can notch it around your knee
    PollutedSoul
    O00Coolzero00O
    I think the Japaneses versions are amazing and that they should really sell them in the states and should make LTD versions of them (like the black Alexi with the white pinstripe and the luminescent glow in the dark buzz saw inlays and pinstripe).
    SG6578
    800 bucks? and it's got a passive! You gotta be out of your mind!
    jean_genie
    Apparently the story goes that Alexi played a Jackson RR, but after it was stolen Jackson wanted a few months to get him another custom model, and ESP said he could get one in a couple weeks. Which is why he switched to ESP. The reason why the inlays and the 'lower bout' look kinda' funky is to avoid a lawsuit from Jackson. I think the fact that Alexi switched to ESP because he was impatient really says a lot about both brands. When he wasn't under a time constraint, he played something other than ESP. Sure he prefers them now, but let's face it ... if your guitar is built by the custom shop of a name-brand company, there's almost no way you won't be happy. Personally, I fail to see how this guitar is anything other than a differently-shaped Charvel. If you play for speed, it's awesome. If you'd normally buy a big fat Les Paul, this guitar might as well not exist.
    qotsa_94
    PollutedSoul wrote: Dude this is definatly one of the sweetest non-Dean guitars on the market. I'd only consider buying one if it had 2 humbuckers though =/.
    you can buy a jackson RR its more expensive put its the same shape of the body and well alexi used a jackson but it was stolen it was a jackson rr24 there are some jacksons with 2 humbuckers \m/
    HeavyMetalDude1
    If anybody knows about ESP guitars (especially the Alexi-600's) it would be me. I've owned 3 of them in the past. Save your money and get an EC-1000, M-1000 or even an original ESP. The Alexi is a horrible guitar in my opinion because of the shape, pickup and overall tone.
    theogonia777
    vIsIbleNoIsE wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: I mean, Alexi Laiho is good and all, but I really don't think he deserves a signature instrument. well if you look at all the other clowns who have signature models...anyhow, alexi has a lot of fanboys, so financially speaking, he deserves it since people will buy it.
    +1. this is the unfortunate truth, getting a signature model is a popularity contest.
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    midwesttrendkil
    MrDURPEEDURP wrote: SG6578 wrote: 800 bucks? and it's got a passive! You gotta be out of your mind! lol, you OBVIOUSLY don't know it's potential dipshit. i have the LTD Alexi-600 SE which is the limited edition run which is basically, an ESP with an LTD name. it's got a further cutaway to access the 24th fret without arching your wrist, a shaved neck, and it's ****in light id actually like to do a separate review for it since it's pretty different from the normal Alexi 600
    oh man your so cool...
    celticstorm84
    I thought these had the EQ sort of thing accessed through the back plate or something like that??
    [CyberPunkZ]
    dude, i just bought this guitar at guitar center for 1,000$ ( plus tax, +50$ discount). I play it with my Marshall MG 50fx and they are just great!. The guitar is not that heavy, and it's really shiny. The sound is just perfect. If you use it with a Line 6 POD 3, i will be pwn everyone
    CobainReborn
    Only one pickup huh? And one volume knob? Looks almost exactly like my Washburn Vindicator, only thing better about it seems like this one has ebony fretboard instead of rosewood.
    BulletCrazy
    yeah he recently got it in black wit a dark pink stripe
    K!!LsWiTcH
    i personally would rule this guitar out simply for the fact that it has one pickup. i shouldnt be paying as much as some of these cost for my tonal options to be cut in half at the very start. just saying
    ProgJazzMath
    zoomzoom
    dude i played this guitar at my friends shop and it was absolute garbage. sound was horrible, couldnt find a good tone, actiaon was good but the fretboard itself felt like an unsanded piece of crap. considering every1 else loves it, maybe it was just a dud...
    HELLSHREDD
    Ive got the RR 24 Jackson & it rules , emg-81 kiks hard & really fun to play , i would never go with the ESP version of the real deal, Muh ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa.
    led zeppelin90
    The ESP Model has WAY better quality, and the neck on the ESP is shaved while the LTD is painted, also the tuners.
    iMervyn
    Can any1 tell me what the difference is between the LTD version and the ESP version? I would really appreciate it if sum1 told me =)
    kud666
    whydont you get the jacson RR 3, thats wot alexi's guitar was based on, has 2 pickups (both humbuckers) and sounds just as good
    Tyrant993
    Can anyone help me out... should i get this guitar the LTD Alexi-600 or the Jackson RR24. Any advice is appreciated
    Aminos
    this one is cool but the one with the purple pinstripe is so ugly XD
    MetalUpUrAnus
    What is the procees of changing the passive to an active? Do the actives really sound that much worse than the actives?
    kniffinxl
    I've had this guitar for a bout 2 months now and It's by far one of the best guitars out there. I've played jackson V's and never cared 4 them, but the alexi model feels good and sounds great. It makes me sound like I know what I'm doing.