LTD Alexi-600 review by ESP

ESP: LTD Alexi-600

Price paid: C$ 999

Purchased from: Steve's music store

I bought this guitar to play fast metal licks and riffs, which it handles excellently 'cause that is what it's made for. Currently I own a crappy Line 6 Micro Spider and a Boss Metal Zone but it still manages to sound super great. I haven't heard any noise from it so far. I only play metal (all sub genres)so I know it sounds good for that. I dunno if it sounds good for other genres as I really don't know much about them. Even with my bad amp I can hear the smooth sound of the guitar, the kind which we have come to expect from Children Of Bodom.

I play all genres of metal and it suits all of them. I have been playing for more than two years and I feel I need a bit more experience to make the most of this guitar. I own a cheap Chinese copy of Les Paul which is very good but this guitar is like nothing I have played before. I love everything about it except the fact it came with a passive pickup. I love the shape and the floyd rose which stays in tune no matter what. I only wish this had some magic power which would make me play like Alexi Laiho when I touch it.

The guitar seems solid, so it can breeze through live playing provided it has strap locks. I don't believe in strap buttons even if the are solid. This is my second electric guitar so I might as well take the other one just in case something a string or two breaks. Better safe than sorry. The finish seems good. It came fully shiny and it still is after almost a month. Even the fretboard wood is shiny.

The action is perfectly adjusted so that there is no fret buzz anywhere on the neck. The intonation is of the level which can be expected on top end guitars-meaning it is near perfect. I feel the pickup can be a tiny bit higher than it already is and I will be adjusting it soon. It has no flaws except a very small stain on the floyd rose bridge which is removed easily with a stain remover and the left end of the fret-board (the part after the 24th fret) seems to have been filed off. These flaws don't affect the sound or the life in anyway.

Mine was made in Korea. It has 24 extra jumbo frets with a scale length of 25.5. It is a neck through construction with a 3 piece maple neck and alder body wings. The neck has a sort of satin feel to it but it is unpainted. The body is white with black pinstripes and has a clear coar finish. It has a floyd rose 1000 series and a single EMG HZ passive humbucking pickup. There are not much controls except a single volume knob (which lies in 10 anyway). I'm not sure about the tuners but they are non locking (it has a locking nut obviously). And most importantly it is personally hand signed by Alexi himself.