LTD AX-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD AX-50

I used to play mostly metal for which this guitar suits nicely, but being constructed of Basswood with Maple/Rosewood neck and fretboard it can handle almost any style of music you throw at it. Nowadays I'm quite into Blues and Psychedelic, and some Jazz its pretty much good for them too. I play it into a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q and a Boss GT8 ( pretty simple rig ). Its a bit noisy when I turn any of the knobs maybe due to improper wiring or bad pots.

Overall its a pretty good guitar for any starter also can be a good option if you want a basic guitar for making your own customized or modded axe! It it were stolen/lost I will definitely miss it.. ( maybe even cry! )as its my first electric guitar so there is quite a strong bond with it. But I would not buy it again because now I have moved up and would get something much much better. It has a pretty thin neck that's very comfortable and great for fast phrases. Also it has a very good cutaway that provides access to the 24th fret ( I can even reach beyond it with my Pinky! )I dis compare this with some Ibanez mostly GRG's and other Ltd's like Viper and M-50, but I was most comfortable playing this one. Only wish if it had a floating bridge and some decent pickups, but hey I would not have purchased this one because it would be out of my then budget ( you get what you pay for! )

I have been playing this guitar for almost 3 years now, and believe me its a fighter! The hardware will last... At least a decade, the strap buttons are solid and they are huge! I never used straplocks on it and the strap never gave a intention of getting loose even after 3 years! I can entirely depend on it, I do use it on gigs without backup, but I will suggest backup, because a string never informs ya when its gonna snap ( so I'm getting another ESP! ) Finish will also last a long time, its kinda rough when new but gets smoother and develops a Shine after some usage. The neck bolts are very sturdy and I can assure you that because I almost broke the neck off, and it remained angled a bit... But it gets back in position if I push it back into its right place, nowadays its as good as new, no issues at all. Plus now I can do a whammy kinda effect by applying pressure at the neck..heh!

Fit and Finish on this guitar is seriously of good quality, but the action was a bit too high for my liking. Pickup heights are perfect. There is a tiny flaw that the volume knob got loose after about a year and half of playing. Except that loose knob there is not any other problem.

Dunno about what year this was made, but it was made in Indonesia. 24XJ frets on a Rosewood fretboard with a hard maple neck and Basswood body which assures a rich Warm and Balanced tone.Solid body and a shape that's just so Metal! Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-thru body construction that provide some decent sustain. 1-volume, 1-tone knob, 3-way-toggle pickup selector switch, pretty easy to operate and get you the desired configuration Fast! 2 passive ESP LH-150 humbuckers, which are just OK, not that great but are pretty decent, I will suggest to swap them ( SD Invader is a good optioin for this guitar ). Stock ESP tuners, what else would one expect from a $350 low range LTD?